Dexter Outdoors

badgrampa

Apr 11, 2012
ENCINITAS
Name
RUSS VOGE
Boat
rusty nail
just got an email from the Red Rooster saying that they were not running an 8 day leaving around June 18 due to a lack of anglers. Anybody else have this happen to them. I'm not happy

Upvote 0

Pangamaster

Cow Town Here I come!
Jul 1, 2008
San Ramon, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
just got an email from the Red Rooster saying that they were not running an 8 day leaving around June 18 due to a lack of anglers. Anybody else have this happen to them. I'm not happy

Oh sheet! Join us on our trip? The next 8 day on the Rooster....I think we had a 1 or 2 spots open?

More disturbing.... In this awesome year how can trips not be selling enough to leave the dock? Hope there is not some other reason this trip is not sailing......

Reactions: Stik'umGud!
Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
it happened to me and a friend back in 2006' I was so pissed but it worked out,
the Shogun has a light load leaving the 14 of June with Steve Carson with Penn
call them tomorrow, you won't be sorry you did

Upvote 0

PCH

El Nino 2015!!!!!!
Jul 14, 2008
North San Diego
Name
Paul
Boat
Gregor 20

Theres fish up here in our zone, people dont want to jump on a 8 day and fish local waters would be my guess.

Upvote 0

Lake

I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 31, 2003
Visalia, CA
Name
Blaine Lake
Boat
none
That's a shame. Sorry they're not going, although I understand them not running if they don't have enough anglers to meet expenses. It amazes me that one of the best boats in the fleet cancels for lack of anglers during what likely will be one of the better times of the summer to fish.

Upvote 0

Tar Pit

• Mar 7, 2006
    Reno NV
    Name
    Friend of Bucko Shaw
    Boat
    None.
    Theres fish up here in our zone, people dont want to jump on a 8 day and fish local waters would be my guess.

+1

The Shogun on a 5-day and the AA on a 8-day are both coming home tomorrow. 5/30. What I hear is the people on the Shogun had more fishing time and more and larger fish. A lot like last year, but 2 months early.

Upvote 0

Benny70

Apr 28, 2007
    East Los Angeles near 60 & 710 frwys
    Name
    Benjamin R. S.
    Boat
    Pontoon, float tube, kayak
    Perhaps the lack of being able to keep bluefin in Mexican waters might have something to do with it. I don't know.

Could be the fishing close to home is getting so good that guys don't want to spend the extra cash on multiple day trips when they could fish close to home.

Or it could be issues with people that weren't prepared for the changes with passport requirements.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

vegasandre

Aug 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Any Boat that I can go on
    Perhaps the lack of being able to keep bluefin in Mexican waters might have something to do with it. I don't know.

Could be the fishing close to home is getting so good that guys don't want to spend the extra cash on multiple day trips when they could fish close to home.

Or it could be issues with people that weren't prepared for the changes with passport requirements.

Probably all of the above . My bet is you will see the Rooster do a couple 3 days trips in replacement of this 8 day trip.

Reactions: terryc. and Tar Pit
    Upvote 0

ReelDealAngler

Born To Fish
    Apr 21, 2013
    Dana Point,CA
    Name
    Garry
    Boat
    Reel Estate

An 8-day in September might be a better bet for you anyway... larger YFT and better time frame for the Hoo... nothing is for certain in the LR fishing world, you pay your money and take your chances and hope for the best!

Upvote 0

reelconcerned

Jun 12, 2011
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Name
    Paul
    Boat
    n/a
    I've had (3) 16day trips on the Q105 cancel on me over (2) YEARS, I STOPPED BOOKING THE (Q). It can be irritating at the last minute to be cancelled only to rebook and have it happen again. I was lucky to get all of my money back...Paul

Upvote 0

jusjac

Dec 12, 2006
    millbrae
    Name
    jack
    Boat
    210 outrage
    I was going to book that trip on the rr3 today, but.. so I took that last spot on the indy and still going rr3 for 16 in nov., great boat, as well as the indy, and shogun, etc.....

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    An 8-day in September might be a better bet for you anyway... larger YFT and better time frame for the Hoo... nothing is for certain in the LR fishing world, you pay your money and take your chances and hope for the best!
    I stay away from September , because of hurricane's

Reactions: Warlord
    Upvote 0

XL1

XL1
    Aug 26, 2011
    usa
    Name
    XL
    Boat
    www.excelsportfishing.com
    Surely the RR111 will take care of you regarding your deposit. There a number of boats with trips that fit your stated time window but not many spots left... Rp, Shogun, Royal Star and of course my Favorite the Excel.. Just rebound and go book a trip with another boat. You will have a great time regardless.

Upvote 0

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    it happened to me and a friend back in 2006' I was so pissed but it worked out,
    the Shogun has a light load leaving the 14 of June with Steve Carson with Penn
    call them tomorrow, you won't be sorry you did

Thanks for the recommendation.
    We would love to see you aboard our trip!

Upvote 0

rodblder

Feb 19, 2004
    San Diego
    Visit site
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    none at this time
    Hey XL1, just a coincidence that you only mention boats from Fishermans Landing???
    Just kidding, had MANY great trips on the bigX, will return someday god willing.............

Upvote 0

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
    Sep 7, 2007
    la habra hts
    Name
    mike garrahan
    Boat
    23 ft. crestliner
    It may not be such a bad thing that they cancelled the trip. When fishing is good locally it doesn't make much sense to run 3 or 4 hundred miles south only to have poor fishing. I went on an 8 day last Oct and we ran all the way to Mag bay for almost nothing. We didn't find any decent fishing until the 6th or 7th day when we were back in local waters. People on 2 and 3 day trips did better than we did for a lot less money and a lot less wasted travel time. I would just take the money that you were going to spend on the trip and book a couple of 2.5 or 3.5 day local trips. You will probably get more fishing time and catch more fish than you would have on the 8 day trip. I'll bet that if you check with the RRIII you will find that they schedule a couple of 2 or 3 day trips in place of the 8 day. They may even give you a break on the price.

Reactions: tommysdad
    Upvote 0

XL1

XL1
    Aug 26, 2011
    usa
    Name
    XL
    Boat
    www.excelsportfishing.com
    Hey XL1, just a coincidence that you only mention boats from Fishermans Landing???
    Just kidding, had MANY great trips on the bigX, will return someday god willing.............

Actually I went through the schedules of Intrepid,Indy,RP,Shogun Angler and Royal Star of the boats quickly and found the boats with open trips that matched his time window. Not an owner at fishermans landing and really I want all the boats to do well!

Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
    Apr 4, 2003
    Tucson
    Visit site
    Name
    David Tang
    Boat
    Intrepid
    Actually I went through the schedules of Intrepid,Indy,RP,Shogun Angler and Royal Star of the boats quickly and found the boats with open trips that matched his time window. Not an owner at fishermans landing and really I want all the boats to do well!

The Intrepid has only 1 opening on a 5 day trip…IMO big difference between a 5 day and 8 day….

Upvote 0

irob2

Sep 26, 2010
    S.D
    Name
    robert
    Boat
    REEL ADDICTION/STRICTLY BUSINESS
    Royal star 8 day June 5 has 6 spots baja fish gear trip

Upvote 0

badgrampa

Apr 11, 2012
    ENCINITAS
    Name
    RUSS VOGE
    Boat
    rusty nail
    thanks for all the replies, I really do appreciate the concern. I know it will work out. I managed to get in a total of 52 days last year on trips between 2 and 10 days. I'm hoping to get in as much this year.

Upvote 0