cancellations due to bluefin closure

#1 shredder

Dec 9, 2011
San Diego, Ca.,USA
Name
Ted Shred
Boat
Salamander
I have a 5 day trip in about 2 weeks that I signed up for over 11 months ago. My favorite fish to catch is definitely BF. I'm trying to keep a positive attitude toward what is happening. I am goin fishin and I will enjoy myself. Just wondering if any of you fellow anglers have cancelled your trips because of the BF closure. Thanks

hmk4272

Aug 10, 2009
fullerton
Name
ken
Boat
in the future
I dont know if it is right or wrong. But it looks like some San Diego fleets are still catching bluefin. They just called them "tuna" and dont specify yft or bft.

Tar Pit

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 7, 2006
Reno NV
Name
Friend of Bucko Shaw
Boat
None.
I also have a 5-day leaving next week. I know the skipper will find something for me to kill. Last year I came home with way too much bluefin. This year I hope for more variety in my freezer. What boat are you on?

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
I'm not cancelling jacksh!t!

There's still other fish out there.

..or maybe I'm not as stressed out about it because I came home with 208lbs of bluefin on our memorial day 2.5 trip?

Exactly, don't cancel. Been on many trips when the Bluefin wouldn't bite anyway. We went to Disneyland when the kids were younger. The Matterhorn was closed for maintenance but we still had fun.

maxpowers

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 25, 2007
Fountain Valley, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
someday a 23' Striper
No cancellations on my part either but at the same time, no spur of the moment fishing since the YFTs and and other are only a few miles from my home ports in OC and LA counties. The tell is how many spots are still available on many of the short range boats in the midst of an epic season. Last year you couldn't find a spot mid-week, a couple of weeks out if the BFTs were on the chew.

Tar Pit

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 7, 2006
Reno NV
Name
Friend of Bucko Shaw
Boat
None.

reel man

Common sense
Dec 31, 2004
Burbank, CA
Name
Jerry
Boat
Spirit of Adventure
This will definitely have an effect if indeed it comes to pass.

http://www.sagarpa.gob.mx/saladeprensa/2012/Paginas/2014B556.aspx
Yep, that about sums it up. Conserve the fish (BFT), so they're a little larger next year for the commercial fleet, except for one important thing, those fish will be long gone, and a new junior grade will be taking their place.

This is only further proof there's no understanding of the biology, and cycles of the fishery in Mexican waters.

Uglybones

Take a step to the left.
Jul 13, 2008
Lakeside
Name
Ian
Boat
the big one with 30 other people
I canceled an overnight trip because of the closure. I got boat credit with my deposit in hopes they would clear things up. That's doesn't seem to be the case so looks like it's a 1.5 next week for some rat yellowtail action:ele:

NoLDR

OG BD member
Mar 26, 2003
Sherman Oaks
Name
BRAD
Boat
29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
I have a 5 day trip in about 2 weeks that I signed up for over 11 months ago. My favorite fish to catch is definitely BF. I'm trying to keep a positive attitude toward what is happening. I am goin fishin and I will enjoy myself. Just wondering if any of you fellow anglers have cancelled your trips because of the BF closure. Thanks

WHAT? Only booking a fishing trip for one kind of fish seems foolish IMO maybe a local seabass trip but not tuna fishing expecially bluefin.

B

salty brain

Nothing but salt between the ears
Sep 25, 2012
OC
Name
Dave
Boat
what ever floats
got a 10 day later this year still going no problem, and no problem jumping on some shorter trip till then.

Abaco

Aug 5, 2009
Sacramento
Name
Dave
Boat
The Organ
I hope it soon becomes what I remember a few years ago - lots of fat yellowfin showing up. I love me some yellowfin.

Elitetv1958

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 20, 2005
Las Vegas
Name
Dan
Boat
Music
I have a good buddy who keeps talking about targeting perch on long range trips. Maybe it's time for us to reconsider what we at targeting on these trips. :deadhorse

jiggyn

Do you even fish?
Jan 26, 2008
Torrance
Name
Jerr
Boat
shit talking
you will want to when you notice 1/2 day and 3/4 day boats fishing the same area you are in that paid alot less LMFAO

been there done that I laugh drink a beer say fuck it and keep on fishing

Reactions: Abaco