Canaveral yellowfin in August

Discussion in 'East Coast Fishing Reports Forum' started by Aquaholic73, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Aquaholic73

Aquaholic73 Newbie

Name:
    Chris Caska
    Boat:
    Seafox 266
    This is my first post y'all so bare with me. The computer and I don't mix well. I have never caught a yellowfin and have been bitten by the yellowfin bug. planning on taking a trip to the Gulf next year but was wondering if it would be worth my time to put out of Canaveral during August in hopes of getting one. I live in St. Augustine and its only a little over 2 hours to trailer my boat down there and the Stream is so much closer. Appreciate and input
    catch'em up
    Chris.

2. Tarpun

Tarpun Newbie

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    20 Seacraft MA 1980

3. Tarpun

Tarpun Newbie

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    20 Seacraft MA 1980
    The stream is closer but remember that for the most part the yellowfin are found on the East side of the Gulfstream. Thats generally about 70 miles or more off of Port Canaveral. This time of the year it can be a crapshoot. Beat bet is around the 1oo mile buoy early am. If there's a hint of N in the wind forecast stay home. You've got good wahoo fishing along with blackfin tuna coming up late fall and winter out of St. Augustine. YFT fishing on the otherside is generally more reliable spring and early summer. You might contact Capt. Robt. Johnson on the Jodie Lynne. I'm sure he would have more info.

4. Aquaholic73

Aquaholic73 Newbie

Name:
    Chris Caska
    Boat:
    Seafox 266
    Yes I do a lot of wahoo fishing out of St. Augustine. We will start hispeeding next month. I caught more wahoo in Oct last year than any other month but the weather was cap though I'm sure that's a factor. I see the Jodie Lynn, Endless summer and Jhook offshore quite often. Probably going to make the run in the spring to the buoy in my buddies pursuit because he has a little more boat than I do. Appreciate the advise my friend. Catch'em up