Canada Halibut Opener

polywave

May 11, 2008
Kenmore
Name
Harold
Boat
polywave
The way WDFW explained this rule to me is possesion includes the catch already landed PLUS the catch on board. In the last example, one may possess one halibut on board, the other halibut must be landed. Of course, both could be landed.

Possession has long been debated (for the 25 years I've been fishing at least).

I believe the original intent of the rule was to force fishermen to take their catch home after two limits were caught, thus reducing the pressure on the fishery.

But there was a conflict because some people own homes on the shoreline, and the question arose are their homes to be considered in the field or not. And if not, then any catch in the freezer at home would not count as part of the person's possession and the intent of the law would not be served.

But the intent of the law is something that is argued in the courts of law, not in the field. I've been told by WDFW officers that although this has never been resolved, in the field is clear to them and they will ticket and confiscate any catch over the possession limit that they find in the field.

And yes, Captain, you reminded me that they did inform me that day that I appropriately had the Canadian fishing documents and that there was a legal fishery in Canada where I said I was fishing (Pedder Bay area). I don't remember checking in with the DFO though. Either the rules have changed, or I did a booboo. Either way, checking the current regulations is always a good idea.

Last edited:

Plus1

Apr 14, 2008
Pugetropolis
Name
Gary
Boat
2002 no-name YT
I forgot to mention, landing Canadian halibut are exempt from the WDFW 'closed area' port rule. Otherwise, there would not be much of a Canadian but fishery for us.

2010-2011 WDFW Regulations (page 102)

HALIBUT -
Hook and line angling and spearfishing only. A hand-held line is permitted. Only one line with up to two hooks may be used. HALIBUT may be shot or harpooned while landing. May not be landed in a port closed to HALIBUT fishing except HALIBUT lawfully caught in Canada; angler must have Canadian license.

Plus1

Apr 14, 2008
Pugetropolis
Name
Gary
Boat
2002 no-name YT
Department of Fisheries and Oceans has announced a slight increase in the total allowable catch (TAC) for the 2011 halibut fishing season.

Canada's TAC is set for 7.65 million pounds up from 7.5 million lbs in 2010.

The commercial sector is allocated 6,702,240 lbs during the season running from March 12 until November 18.

The recreational sector is allocated 947,760 lbs up from last year's 901,440.

The recreational sector has been lobbying for a catch limit of two a day with two in possession, but the new allocation still falls short of what the recreational sector has asked of DFO, which would require [an increase of] around 1.7 million lbs

Announcement of the recreational sector's opening season, are expected by the end of this week.

link

good article here:

BC Sport fishers deserve bigger halibut share
"The estimated 100,000 anglers who fish for halibut are having their opportunities severely curtailed for reasons which do not include conservation or economic contribution."

Last edited:

Cootkiller

Jul 21, 2009
Anacortes, WA
Name
Jack
Boat
In Between
Anyone heard any news from the fisheries on catch limits or possible openings before 28Feb. I read they increased the total quota weight, but no news about quota for recreational guys and the commercials.

rkcarguy

Dec 4, 2009
North Puget Sound
Name
Ryan
Boat
4' more baylitter than JohnVH
Come on man, of all peeps I figured you at least would understand that the rules are not supposed to make sense, they are there to generate revenue!

:waglleybooty:
Not necessarily, these rules could generate a fast attack exercise on your vessel and a elbow deep cavity search....I'd want this done per the book if I was going.

rkcarguy

Dec 4, 2009
North Puget Sound
Name
Ryan
Boat
And not 3 days a week for only a month either....:finger:

outtadablu

Gettin' Ready to go KILL some fishes
Jan 14, 2009
Whidbey Island
Name
Dave
Boat
26' Osprey "Outtadablu"
Ok, here is the info relating to Canadian Nautical Charts on board:

"All vessels in Canadian waters must carry and use nautical charts and related publications pursuant to the Canada Shipping Act, Charts and Nautical Publications Regulations, that are issued by, or on the authority of, the Canadian Hydrographic Service."

As for the anchoring issue, of course it is not illegal to anchor in Canadian waters, and you can anchor to fish and not have to go thru customs. AND technically if your boat is held in place by an anchor in Canadian waters, you are touching Canadian soil and would not be out of line going thru Canadian and US customs. But with a 200 shrimp/day limit, not passing thru Canadian customs like you do with salmon, if you are stopped by WDFW in US waters or at the ramp, (even if you have a Canadian License) you better have good handles your gunnels cause they are gonna take your ass to the cleaners.:indabutt:

I'm just saying why invite a :nutkick:

JKIII

FISHNFU
Jul 3, 2010
Mount Vernon, WA
Name
Jim
Boat
18' Alumaweld Intruder Sportjet

"All vessels in Canadian waters must carry and use nautical charts and related publications pursuant to the Canada Shipping Act, Charts and Nautical Publications Regulations, that are issued by, or on the authority of, the Canadian Hydrographic Service."

As for the anchoring issue, of course it is not illegal to anchor in Canadian waters, and you can anchor to fish and not have to go thru customs. AND technically if your boat is held in place by an anchor in Canadian waters, you are touching Canadian soil and would not be out of line going thru Canadian and US customs. But with a 200 shrimp/day limit, not passing thru Canadian customs like you do with salmon, if you are stopped by WDFW in US waters or at the ramp, (even if you have a Canadian License) you better have good handles your gunnels cause they are gonna take your ass to the cleaners.:indabutt:

Got any good places where we can print out one of these Canadian approved charts without purchasing? I found this link for Canada, which talks about purchasing them.

CHS Chart Catalogue v6.0

NOAA Free Online Chart Viewer
Pacific Coast NOAA Nautical Charts

Sounds like NOAA charts would be no good...?

Easytosee

Jun 9, 2009
Olympia/Washington/USA
Name
Chad Burgess
Boat
25ft Bad Ass Mother Fucker- Market Price

So..your saying it is legal to not check in with customs, but we probably should? This is something I have never done before and is new to me, the only Canadian fishing I have done from US waters is for halibut out of Neah bay, where we were neither anchoring nor shrimping. I would love to take advantage of the generous shrimp limits this year up there, its looking like I'm only going to get one day in of shrimping this year on our side...

outtadablu

Gettin' Ready to go KILL some fishes
Jan 14, 2009
Whidbey Island
Name
Dave
Boat
26' Osprey "Outtadablu"
Not an issues with halibut; shrimp is a gray area, make your own choice, salmon, if it is closed in US waters, not going thru Canadian customs could ruin your day.
As to the charts, there has been a lot of pressure for the Canadian Hydro Svc. to put their charts out there like NOAA does, but I haven't seen them change yet. Most West Marine stores have a fair enough coverage of Canadian charts. It's not like you're cruising thru the Gulf Islands and need a lot of detail. My charts cover SW, S and Eastern Vancouver Is. water. Enough to meet their requirements if boarded. I have the Navionics Platnuim Vancouver Is. chip for navigation purposes.
I would also leave my tracking details from my GPS to show that I was really in Canadian water.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2010
Seattle/WA/USA
Name
Loren
Boat
25,ACB,Snapdragon
In my limited experience (3 attempts) the shrimping issue is not as big a problem as it sounds, due to the fact that Canadian shrimp seem very hard to catch. We spent 3 days trying various spots close to the border that looked promising, and only caught a handful of shrimp. We did loose two pots though thanks to the crazy currents out there. It seemed like there was a lot of commercial pressure in the area, although I am not sure it was all shrimp they were fishing.

Whalebreath

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 6, 2008
Vancouver BC
Name
Carl Z
Boat
In my limited experience (3 attempts) the shrimping issue is not as big a problem as it sounds, due to the fact that Canadian shrimp seem very hard to catch. We spent 3 days trying various spots close to the border that looked promising, and only caught a handful of shrimp.....
Prawn season in BC generally open May 1st-after that you can kiss your results goodbye.

Salmon Addict

Feb 5, 2011
Area 7 San Juans
Name
Matt
Boat
20' Alumaweld Blackhawk
I have done a little research on this subject, since I have a Canadian salt license that I haven't used yet that's about to expire. I went to the Canadian Customs website (CBSA) and searched under "CANPASS" and found a phone number for locating customs check-in points (1-888-226-7277). I called the number and asked if I could launch from US waters, enter Canada, and fish without actually touching land. I was told the answer is "you can IF you don't board another vessel, receive anything from a vessel, moore at a dock, etc. If you do, you have to call the 888-226-7277 number and they will tell you where to check-in."

When fishing in BC, make sure you have your passport, NEXUS pass or enhanced drivers license on board. Children on board will need to have a birth certificate or passport as well.

As far as bringing a fish or prawns back, I spoke with a WDFW officer who referred me to page 20 of the Fish & Wildlife Rules & Regs book, which states that for salmon, if the fish you caught in Canada does not meet the rules & regs of WA at that time, you must check it in physically with the Canadians and obtain a reference number that WDFW can check on if necessary. But, you may not fish two licences at once... basically you can't get your limit in Canada and have that in your possesion and then reenter WA and try to get your limit on that license as well. You can transport your Canadian fish back, but you cannot legally stop and fish in the US on your way back.

For shrimp, since the season is very short in WA, it's important to remember that if you're planning on fishing and shrimping and you might possibly be fishing in WA, do the fishing FIRST. You cannot have shrimp aboard (even if it was caught legally in BC) and then afterward be fishing in WA waters while the shrimp season is closed in WA or when you have more than a WA legal limit. After shrimping in BC, you're only allowed to transport them back.

Hope that helps. Might want to check on this stuff yourself, but this is what I was told.

Easytosee

Jun 9, 2009
Olympia/Washington/USA
Name
Chad Burgess
Boat
25ft Bad Ass Mother Fucker- Market Price
I have done a little research on this subject, since I have a Canadian salt license that I haven't used yet that's about to expire. I went to the Canadian Customs website (CBSA) and searched under "CANPASS" and found a phone number for locating customs check-in points (1-888-226-7277). I called the number and asked if I could launch from US waters, enter Canada, and fish without actually touching land. I was told the answer is "you can IF you don't board another vessel, receive anything from a vessel, moore at a dock, etc. If you do, you have to call the 888-226-7277 number and they will tell you where to check-in."

When fishing in BC, make sure you have your passport, NEXUS pass or enhanced drivers license on board. Children on board will need to have a birth certificate or passport as well.

As far as bringing a fish or prawns back, I spoke with a WDFW officer who referred me to page 20 of the Fish & Wildlife Rules & Regs book, which states that for salmon, if the fish you caught in Canada does not meet the rules & regs of WA at that time, you must check it in physically with the Canadians and obtain a reference number that WDFW can check on if necessary. But, you may not fish two licences at once... basically you can't get your limit in Canada and have that in your possesion and then reenter WA and try to get your limit on that license as well. You can transport your Canadian fish back, but you cannot legally stop and fish in the US on your way back.

For shrimp, since the season is very short in WA, it's important to remember that if you're planning on fishing and shrimping and you might possibly be fishing in WA, do the fishing FIRST. You cannot have shrimp aboard (even if it was caught legally in BC) and then afterward be fishing in WA waters while the shrimp season is closed in WA or when you have more than a WA legal limit. After shrimping in BC, you're only allowed to transport them back.

Hope that helps. Might want to check on this stuff yourself, but this is what I was told.
Sounds like the same info I have heard as well, thanks for your input

rkcarguy

Dec 4, 2009
North Puget Sound
Name
Ryan
Boat

JKIII

FISHNFU
Jul 3, 2010
Mount Vernon, WA
Name
Jim
Boat
Weather depends big time for my 18, I hope to take her over in March sometime. I'm glad their season lasts a few more (days, weeks, months) than (h)ours... does!:finger:

We always try to head over with buddy boats, so as the days get closer, we'll have to check that thar NOAA weather before I commit...:finger:... Unless the Fed G shuts down, March 4th, then we'll have to check Canada weather. Errr wait, I think they get theirs from NOAA, too. Damn...:rofl:

Need to break last years record, biggest I saw pics of was Fishkillers +200#, mine was shy of 100#...

Tarwegian

Fish Killer
Mar 12, 2009
Mount Vernon,WA
Name
Fred
Boat
20' Smokercraft "Samish Gold"
Jim, PM me when your wanting to go. I have Mondays off so I'll be over there first chance I get and as often as I can. The weekends are kind of hit and miss.

Cougman

Jan 2, 2009
Woodland, WA
Name
Matt
Boat
22 ft. Seasport "One Moor"
I am looking at changing where I fish of halibut from off the Columbia down to Newport. I figure it would be similar $$$ for me to drive up and stay up North as it is to drive to the south. Where do you get your licenses from? Guessing I have to physically go to Canada to obtain. Also which port is best to launch from?

JKIII

FISHNFU
Jul 3, 2010
Mount Vernon, WA
Name
Jim
Boat
I am looking at changing where I fish of halibut from off the Columbia down to Newport. I figure it would be similar $$$ for me to drive up and stay up North as it is to drive to the south. Where do you get your licenses from? Guessing I have to physically go to Canada to obtain. Also which port is best to launch from?
Tarweigian- you betcha.

You can pay for them and print them online. I was told this does NOT work for CHinook, though. I think you have to physically step on their soil to get that, plus all the other reporting info...

https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/nrls-sndpp/index-eng.cfm

I have only fished using the 1 and 3 day Non-Resident licenses, which can be printed online. I don't know if the yearly NR license can be printed online.

Last edited: