Well-Known "Member"
Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Visit site
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
Went on our annual Goose Hunt the first week in October and although it was better than last year it was still below average for our standards. Plenty of mallards this year to keep us busy, and I've never seen so many specs in this part of the country. However the Snows and Honkers have been getting pounded by new Outfitters who have invaded the areas north of our usual hunting zone which educates the geese to our spreads and they rarely decoy straight in like they used to 2-3 years ago. A couple of days of snow didn't help either; we still managed mixed counts of 104, 45, 6, 30, 85, 45, and 38 birds each day for 5 shooters. Our 6 count day was the day after the snow and we never do any good with snow on the ground. The Highlight or Lowlight in my opinion was after the first afternoon of scouting and securing a great field for the following day, driving back to the cabin in total darkness I hit a moose on the highway that came out of a ditch on the right side of the highway and I thought we were both going to die as he came up over the hood headed directly for the windshield as the airbags never went off. Fortunately I had seen him early enough to get on the brakes and we came to a stop just before he would have contacted the windshield so he rolled off the hood and dragged himself over the left side of the highway into a ditch. Both his rear legs and left side ribs were broken and he was struggling to breathe; the RCMP officer took 90 minutes to get onsite and he had to dispatch the moose with 2 loads of buckshot while I held a flashlight as he had no rifled slugs. It wasn't a pretty sight.
I'm just lucky enough to be able to write this report and as I used to get a huge thrill every time we would see a moose in the field, I really don't care if I ever see another one again.

IMG_1274.jpg IMG_1275.jpg IMG_1269.jpg IMG_1270.jpg IMG_1271.jpg IMG_1272.jpg

45king

Jig slinger/arrow flinger
May 29, 2005
Sd/Oc
Name
danny
Boat
bw montauk
Glad everyone’s ok bro! Backstraps woulda been nice!

Reactions: CartridgeCalls

watersdeep

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 19, 2016
LB
Name
Jed Venture
Boat
the twisted ducker
MOTHER PUSS BUCKET!!!

DOGHOUSE26

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Visit site
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
Glad everyone’s ok bro! Backstraps woulda been nice!
Everybody in the little town we stay at heard about it and were bugging me for the next couple of days at the diner and gas station telling me to go back and carve the moose up.
the Ravens and magpies were all over it 2 days later.

CartridgeCalls

100% Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business
Apr 29, 2015
Palmdale, CA
www.ebay.com
Name
Curtis Wright
Boat
Duck Hunting Kayak
I would have carved him up in no time. Moose meat is by far the best meat there is. Glad everyones ok. Great job on the birds.

DOGHOUSE26

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Visit site
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
I would have carved him up in no time. Moose meat is by far the best meat there is. Glad everyones ok. Great job on the birds.
Of coarse you would you already have one under your belt recently; I would have felt like a new butcher at the Jack in the Box Taco Factory doing my best to make 2 for 99 cents profitable

Reactions: CartridgeCalls