Can you get back across the Border with just a CA drivers license now?

DawnPatrol

Cora's & Hollis' GrandPa
Mar 27, 2005
Fletcher Hills
Name
Alan
Boat
2520 Parker SL 250 Yammie
Anyone know the current rules for coming back across?

Passport only?

Or does a CA DL still work? I want to take a buddy to SQ and I dont think hes got a passport

Thanks in advance
Alan

mafrancis66

Apr 19, 2010
Oceanside, CA, USA
Name
Mark Franics
Boat
Sold it!

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
Nov 29, 2004
San Diego
Name
Carl
Boat
everyone elses
Soooo
I take it there is a new refugee camp in Mex for all theU.S. citizen tourists who lost or otherwise don't have their passport. A passport IS the way to go. However, you will be let back in without it........I have tested these waters personally.
There is some scuttlebutt that you will be entered into a database which would make it more difficult for you to qualify for a SENTRI pass in the future. If you don't care about the SENTRI pass,,,,

jpofmb

Captain
Sep 4, 2007
Rosarito, Baja
Name
J.P.
Boat
Sea Como No?
As an American citizen you can not be denied re-entry but plan on a bit of time in secondary. Also as Carl stated above it could have repercussions for the SENTRI down the road. I have a friend who does it regularly and another friend went back a few months ago as one of three in a car with no hassle what so ever. But DO NOT use the Ready Lanes and you should be ok.
Good luck!

bajabum

Pedo Viejo
Apr 14, 2003
Vista/La Bocana BCS
Name
Dave
Boat
23 striper WAC 24 skipjack open 15 fisher 19 proline
Forgot my passport last year. Showed my DL and birth cert. No problem, No secondary. Their computer probably shows I've been crossing for 35 years.

fisher3

Deckhand
Jun 29, 2009
Southern California
Name
Spliff
Boat
18 ft CC Starcract "Kelp Runner" 224 Chaparral Fisherman
I do it with DL and birth certificate. Never ask me one question. Just how the fishing was.

DawnPatrol

Cora's & Hollis' GrandPa
Mar 27, 2005
Fletcher Hills
Name
Alan
Boat
2520 Parker SL 250 Yammie
I do it with DL and birth certificate. Never ask me one question. Just how the fishing was.
I was just at Discover Baja and they said technically you need a passport but if you have the DL & birth cert thye may have the option of sending you to secondary...

That being said I personally have my Sentri and it works wonders.
Saved me 2 hours wait in Customs in JFK 2 weeks ago.

Just go up to a kiosk, scan you fingers, voila-- they dont even inspect luggage

I would've missed my connection without it

BigfishDM

Aug 3, 2011
TunaTown
Name
Josh
Boat
Jawsh's
I just use one of the many tunnel systems they have built and dont have to deal with any lines at all

dewercs

Sep 3, 2003
Phoenix
Visit site
Name
Michael
Boat
nope
Just get a passport, and thanks to all you guys who don't have them that hold up the line having to explain why you don't have one.

Big A's

Oct 15, 2008
San Diego/Puertocitos
Name
TD
Boat
209 Grady White Escape
Don't worry about it once in a while. I forget mine all the time and I go south at least once a week. Fact is you are not gonna be kept from coming back into your own country if you are truly allowed to do so. Believe me, I know.

cksea

<*}}}<
Apr 16, 2005
SD
Name
CKSEA
Boat
PORTA
Have him walk through while you wait in line in your truck. I bet you he beats you across the boarder without a passport.

mercado

Jul 26, 2006
Chula Vista
Name
John Mercado
Boat
Parker 2520 XL
Sentri is the best no wait at all or 15 min. at the most it is well worth it almost like cutting to the front of the line.

yellowklr

My Best Catch!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 22, 2003
San Diego,Ca
Name
Derek
Boat
complicated
GET a passport..........I can't understand why anyone would go without one??? Yes you will still get home but the bottom line is you Have to have a passport. FYI after prior violations you can be FINED BIG if the agent decides to go that route.

Sluester

I kill stuff
Jul 22, 2003
Lakeside
Name
Mike
Boat
Killin time, Bill Collector
All the really good behaved drug runners have a sentri and passport.