Can you bring fish back to the US from PV?

SemperFishing

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Name
Dave
Boat
Prefer Long Range or skiffs (great if combined!)
if so, how much can you bring (cooler size limits) and what is the price?

Any help is appreciated....Im sure I'll need it for that 399 mega cow yellowfin Im sure to land:rofl::waglleybooty:

Dave

GDP

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 7, 2006
Denver
Name
Gary
Customs has no problem with fish. How much and the rules depend on the airline you fly on. I think they all require it to be frozen, no ice or dry ice. You check it as extra baggage so see what the $$ vs. weight is for the airline you're flying.

I just brought some on American and an extra "luggage" was $35 for one up to 50 pounds. Bought a 48 qt cube cooler at Costco in PV and it was right at 50 pounds loaded with frozen tuna (thanks to some guys here for that advice). They'll inspect it at the PV airport so don't seal it. The inspectors that did ours wrapped the hell out of it with packing tape when they were done and no problems going home. You may want to take a roll of tape yourself in case you need it. Still frozen 24 hrs later although getting a little soft by then.

Ruben Zuniga

PHAT PHUC
Aug 3, 2007
TrashKanistan
Name
RVZ
Boat
Sunk
yes you can bring fillets back,check w/your airline as they all have different rules -ask how they allow you to ship it back,Alaska and Volaris both let you return it in your ice chest frozen no ice allowed

whitecap72

Mar 3, 2009
rohnert park, ca, usa
Name
austin
Boat
24' skipjack
Go to the Baja fishing section,and look for the article posted as (ice chests and airplanes).This should answer your questions.

chadminnick

Feb 24, 2011
Bothell, WA USA
Name
Mr. Trouble
Boat
28' Bayliner
We bring fish back every trip. You'll have to pay for the extra luggage...up to 50# like someone said earlier.

Bring a roll of duct tape, don't tape the cooler until after customs has inspected it.

Also, some people forget that you can't put ice in the cooler! Just freeze the fish and get them home fast, or use ice packs to help keep them cold if you're travelling in particularly hot weather.

I just brought an ice-chest home a couple months ago on Alaska Airlines and I think it cost $20.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Alaska Airlines will waive the baggage fee for up to three bags if you are active duty military. You just have to show your ID.

SemperFishing

Apr 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Name
Dave
Boat
Prefer Long Range or skiffs (great if combined!)
Thanks for the help guys! Its greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,

Dave