Can somebody explain to me the purpose of tuna tubes?

FishAbility

Captain Fire
Jul 24, 2006
Oceanside
Name
Mick Fire
Boat
36 Hatteras SportFisher
Can somebody explain to me the purpose/use of tuna tubes? how they work, what the accomplish. ive heard of them but never seen or used em! Thanks guys!

Feb 17, 2005
laguna
Name
jorge
Boat
none
its a big fish thing for the yacht crowd.

there is contant water flow through them and you put the bait you catch (skipjack, little yellowfin) in them head first, it keeps them alive untill you want to use them.

FishAbility

Captain Fire
Jul 24, 2006
Oceanside
Name
Mick Fire
Boat
36 Hatteras SportFisher
its a big fish thing for the yacht crowd.

there is contant water flow through them and you put the bait you catch (skipjack, little yellowfin) in them head first, it keeps them alive untill you want to use them.
for bait right? :nutkick:

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
you use them to "store" live skipjacks or Bonitas......

the tubes have water pumped into the bottom. You place the live skipjack headfirst into the tube, the tube keeps skippy facing down where the water flow keeps him alive until its his time........in the barrel.

yes, they are for baits.

BIG baits for BIG fish.

fishnRB

Jan 9, 2008
Rancho Bernardo
Name
Jack
Boat
15ft Gregor Alum Skiff
If you want live bait for marlin or big tuna its the only way to go. Skippies,yellowfin(small)bonita wont stay alive very long in bait tanks.

riverplayer

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 5, 2006
Riverside
Name
Ed
Boat
Osprey 30' Long Cabin "Into The Mystic"
I dropped in my Ex head first.....Her dangling legs act as a teaser and attract the tuna.....Therefore the term "tuna tube"

Feb 17, 2005
laguna
Name
jorge
Boat
none
spike tubes?

BabyGiant

Get bit
Jan 3, 2005
Irvine
Name
Mark
Boat
24' Robalo, REEL TROUBLE
Its Code Lingo... Its a known fact that Tuna Tubes attract bait; however a word of advise.... If you can smell Tuna Tube by the time you've reached the Belly Button Turn around and head North. That Tuna Tube is not in service.

dru

Alleged Conspirator
Oct 4, 2004
Squaremont
Name
Kinda complicated
Boat
Nautique
Its Code Lingo... Its a known fact that Tuna Tubes attract bait; however a word of advise.... If you can smell Tuna Tube by the time you've reached the Belly Button Turn around and head North. That Tuna Tube is not in service.
Oh snap! :rofl::rofl: