Can i tow a Striper 2301 o/b with a truck towing capacity of 5,000lbs?

liftmys10

Oct 23, 2009
Ventura, CA
Name
Shawn
Boat Name
none yet
I have a 2002 Nissan Frontier supercharged and the towing capacity is 5,000lbs Quite a few people at the Nissan forum say the engine can tow even upto 6,000lbs but it's the brakes you have to watch out for. I have upgraded my rotors to power slot cyro with hawk truck/suv pads, steel brake lines, and an extra tranny cooler. Would all this be enough to tow a Striper 2301 outboard or am i pushing the limits? My hitch is rated for 5,000lbs with 500lbs tounge weight. Any suggestions or should I look for another style boat?? Any other boats you would recommend that would be equal in size and style that is more towable for my rig?

thanks in advance

Upvote 0

pounder1977

game face
May 20, 2008
INLAND EMPIRE
Name
jose
Boat Name
2901 aiden & abetting
get the boat sounds like you need a new trick the strper is a very nice boat trade you truck in , ill help you. i sell trucks at a ford dealer. i suggest maybe an f150 any boat you get your gonna have to step up on truck

Upvote 0

inSTANt bendo

Outrider Sportfishing
Oct 1, 2003
Georgetown, TX / Temecula, CA
Name
Stan
Boat Name
Outrider Sportfishing
You are not accounting for the weight of the trailer, fuel, gear, ice, etc. You will have a hard time finding a 22-23' boat that doesn't exceed or max out your towing capacity unless you go to an aluminum boat. Start looking in the 18-20' range or aluminum hulls in order to SAFELY tow if you cannot upgrade your tow vehicle.

Cortez....NO WAY! The 22' is about 7000lbs loaded with fuel on the trailer.

Upvote 0

baloot-boy

Jul 17, 2008
San Diego
Name
Anthony
Boat Name
Wellcraft 202 Fisherman
Is that a Striper Walkaround or a Center Console? CC is a little lighter. At any rate, with the trailer, fuel, water, ice, etc....even the passengers in your truck, you are pushing that Frontier to the limit. Dont get me wrong, it can and has been done....but better to be safe than sorry.

Upvote 0

SeaHawk IV

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 15, 2008
United States of America
Name
A
Boat Name
I'm sure your truck may tow it but what are you going to tell the plaintiff's lawyer when they ask you in court "What is the total weight of your trailered vessile and what is the manufactured rated towing capacity on your Nissan truck prior to rear ending my clients car?" I hope you don't answer "Well I was told by my internet forum friends that having beefed up brakes and a extra tranny cooler would stop the truck better."

Buy a truck with the proper towing capicity or stay far away from me when you are towing your heavy ass boat down the road.

Also, many people don't pay attention to the load range on their tires. Make sure your tires are rated for the load you will be towing. i.e Load Range E.

BTW, nice choice of boats.

Upvote 0

Gil Marlin

World Peace? Visualize Using Your Turn Indicator
Nov 27, 2003
Laguna Percebu Baja Norte
Name
Scott
Boat Name
19.655' Aluminum
My nephew tows the same boat with an F150 truck no problems. Your truck is the size of a Ranger, I towed my 19' aluminum with a ranger, no problems...

Upvote 0

Mean-Machine

Feb 21, 2005
socal
Name
Mean-Machine
Boat Name
someday
I am not a boat owner just yet. Just counting down till my tow vehilce is paid off.

Can you? Should You? yes / no. Maybe you could get away with it if you are within a few miles of your launch ramp and service center. Also what happens when you want to go on a long road trip, Canada, Alaska, San DIego, Laughlin, and all the cool summer time lakes in so cal. You can get a bitchen deal on a truck if you are patient and do your homework.

Get a 3/4 ton truck you will not regret it. It will outlast your boat for sure and handle the tow power and strength when you upgrade. There are pleny of posts on this if you search.

3/4 ton does not mean dually. It does not mean you have to get diesel. Drive a few and just do it.

Upvote 0

jcole4455

Dec 28, 2006
Menifee Ca
Name
Jerry
Boat Name
19 Proline Sport, "No Biggie"
I tow my 19' Proline CC with a 2002 Frontier XE. I have had no problems with launch and recovery. It is a little slugish on the hills (I tow from Menifee to MCRD San Diego), flat land is no issue. The frontier is geared low (that is why I bought it) that is why the MPG sucks but it tows well. All that said, if I was going to tow anything bigger than 20' I would upgrade the tow vehicle. (TITAN) I love my truck but I believe I am at it's limit. As said in an earlier post make sure you account for all the gear you will load in the boat and truck. Getting it started is not the problem, getting it stopped is.....

Upvote 0

shinerunner

BARKING MOONBAT
Apr 25, 2003
loafers glory
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat Name
none
I had a 2301 and my f150 would scream like a banchie going up hills with it on the freeway. Towing with a frontier. Gotta stop quick? No friggin way.
I switched to a 3/4 ton diesel and I hardly notice I'm towing now.

Upvote 0

Assalt Weapon

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jul 15, 2004
CA
Name
Bryan
Boat Name
Glacier Bay 2240SX
The "Dry Weight" of my 2101DC I/O is just about 3900lbs.
The Trail Right Dual Axle trailer is 995lbs
100 gallons of fuel, 600-700lbs.
Anchor, Chain, Tackle, Water, Beer, Ice, etc...easy 500lbs...

Over 5000lbs no problem... I tow with a Tahoe rated at 8000lbs...

Coming back to Murrieta from San Diego, up the steep grades, my tahoe feels it.

Dont buy the boat if dont have the funds to get a vehicle rated enough to tow it..It might work for a little while, but the tranny will go...

Even then getting the boat out of the water could be very scary with a lighter weight vehicle.

Upvote 0

liftmys10

Oct 23, 2009
Ventura, CA
Name
Shawn
Boat Name
none yet
Thanks for all the tips. Anyone know how much the 2101 Striper o/b walkaround weighs? My truck is also my daily driver and cant afford to get a 3/4 ton pickup just to tow. I rather leave it dry docked near the marine and tow it a mile or 2 that way.

Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 18, 2005
So Cal
Name
mark
Boat Name
21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
Better question is can i stop a rig that weighs that much?Look to the lighter aluminum boats or even the triumph center consoles(my 215 weighs like 3200 dry)if you intend to tow with a light duty foreign truck.

Upvote 0

hugothefishguy

Almost A Member
Jul 14, 2009
Tijuana mexico
Name
hugo
Boat Name
22' sea ray
SORRY BUT I DO HAVE TO SAY ,BUY AN OLDER MODEL"BIGGER TRUCK "OTHER WISE I WOULD NOT GO BIGGER THAN AN 18 FOOTER BOAT FOR YOUR SMALL TRUCK

Upvote 0

MATTY J

Jul 10, 2004
CARDIFF
Name
Matt
Boat Name
21' CC PAINFULLY SOLD
Not sure if this helps but I towed about 4,500 lbs with a 4.7 Dodge Dakota for about 2 years. Engine had the power but stopping with disc brakes was sketchy. I sold the truck as I started to feel the tranny going. Yes they might say the Nissan can pull 5K or more but it's goign to put a lot of pressure on other parts. Also remember that what you are towing is haver than the truck. Be careful

Upvote 0

Dirtguy

"It's all Good!"
May 9, 2006
Gilbert, AZ
Name
Carl
Boat Name
26' Sea Ray, "yes dear..."
Guys,
You need to read what the actual owners manual states on all pages. There was an issue when the Tundra was introduced. The commercials said it could tow till the world looked level. The manual said it should NOT be used to tow over 86Deg F! Or use manual ranges on anything but level ground.

I did get into a pissing match with Toyota testers in AZ about this glaring difference.

Bottom line. Don't believe any B.S. about what Jo Blow tows with HIS NISSAN. Read teh book.

DG

p.s.
I won the pissing match. We had Allison transmissions.

Upvote 0

pargoman

Perpetual Newbie
May 24, 2006
socal
Name
Steve
Boat Name
Alloy
I upgraded from a 3/4 ton gas 4wd, to a 1ton diesel 4wd, then now to a 1ton dually diesel 4wd. Not that I am the "Tim Allen of towing" but if you can afford to, do not skimp on the tow/haul rig! Not only is it not safe to tow with the wrong rig, but mechanical and structual problems will bite you! Talking safety, we all have driven tired when hauling boats and toys...

Upvote 0

ISLAND BOUND

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 18, 2006
Orange County
Name
Mike
Boat Name
26 striper White Knuckles
2301 too heavy for your tow vehicle! Remember when looking at boat weights that they dont include the trailer, fuel, gear ect. On my 2601 the trailer weighs about 2000 lbs 160 gal fuel - 1100 lbs all the gear and add ons ? 1000 lbs. Plus alot of boat weights dont even include the motor. If you are going to buy a boat take it to a scale to weigh it then add fuel and gear, then take your tow rating and subtract 10 -20 %. This is how much you SHOULD tow.

Upvote 0