Can I Extend The Butt Section Of My rod?

jonhjax

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 20, 2019
florida
Name
jon
Boat
n/a
I currently have an 8 foot boat rod with a 13&1/2 inch butt grip. Can I extend this butt section about 4 inches and if so, how do I do it? I'll only be using the extended butt section to hold under my arm while fighting fish. The extra butt length will help get the reel further out from my body and make it more comfortable to wind in line. How do I extend the butt grip, if it can be done?

jonhjax

Mar 20, 2019
florida
Name
jon
Boat
n/a
It's EVA. I just want to extend the grip, not replace it. It can be another material such as cork, I don't care.

spongehead

"ONE FISH AT A TIME"
Sep 12, 2010
garden grove, ca
Name
David
Boat
Maria
Couple of ways i know how. Aluminum extension like the old silaflex/roddys or another rod glued inside. First how much pressure are you planning to use? Railrod or standup fight any plans to fight in a rod holder? Itll dertermine the thickness of aluminum tube wall or strength of rod inserted. Seeker extends their gaffs in a really cool seamless way shaping each end to fit perfect glue then sand down even. Now once u remove the hypalon its a bitch to put another piece over the backend or if using a rod piece the extension needs to be built up to match existing height. I normally like using .03" thick aluminum tube epoxied all the way up to bottom of reel seat so 13.5 plus 4 is 17.5" tube. Ive done the calculations on shear factor and did actualy testing pass 55lbs on weights and 60lbs plus on fish. Theres No transition/buildup issues with aluminum tube and just cork tape or cord over tube plus xtube if u want a little softness under ur arm.

Reactions: jonhjax

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
You can cut off the butt cap and epoxy a piece of rod blank, metal tube or wood dowel inside the blank then epoxy bored out EVA back over the top and sand it to match the OD of the existing grip. Then I’d put something like shrink tube over the top to hide the joint. Then a new butt cap.

It’s doable.

Reactions: spongehead

stonefly

Apr 21, 2007
sacramento, ca.
Name
randy welsh
Boat
16' mirrocraft
Sure you can,

my thing is taking old brown glass broomhandle rods,
stripping the glass including the ferrule and epoxy the glass into a 24" piece of tubular fiberglass (bought online) to form a new handle for my new "one piece" rod.