Can I bring bottled water with me on a Charter?

Dexter Outdoors

sundaytrucka

Fish or Die
Sep 8, 2013
Orange County
Name
Scott
Boat
I wish...as in, I wish I had a boat.
Saw a post where somebody said they were bringing booze and bottled water on their charter, I am going on a 5 day charter on the SOA, is it acceptable to bring my own 24 pack of water aboard?

Thanks for any input guys.

sundaytrucka

Fish or Die
Sep 8, 2013
Orange County
Name
Scott
Boat
Lol

I am not much of a drinker, beer mostly, people said hard alcohol was fine to bring on a charter but not beer, as the boat sells beer, and that is the reason I was asking, because the boat sells bottled water.

strackle99

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 20, 2008
Villa Lepro, Baja
Name
Todd
Boat
The one on the fish
0611111906.jpg

I am no mathematician, but I am pretty sure that this was for an 8 day...

I bring enough to share, and usually add a buck or two per beer to my tip, so the boat/crew doesn't miss out.

Just talk to the office first. And don't be afraid to grease the wheels.

I will gladly toss a $20 or two to not have to drink yellow fizzy beer for a week or two.

Sometimes the dock carts are wet... Its nice to have a layer of beer of the bottom, to keep the important stuff dry

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Most boats use a reverse osmosis filter to make freshwater so the water is actually very good for drinking. Likely as good or better than bottled water. I have also never seen anyone told that they could not bring their own beverages. It might be more of an issue on the shorter half day type trips but I would doubt it to be an issue on a 5 day. As has already been mentioned the easiest thing to do is just ask the office and there won't be any guessing. I would ask if they filter their own water for drinking too. If so I would not bother hauling bottled water. Just bring a water bottle if you want.
Most boats do frown on passengers loading up the boats cooler with their beer or stuffing beverages in the ice machine.

Last edited:

Halfprice

Aug 10, 2006
Whittier
Name
Jerry
Boat
Red Rooster 111
I always bring a case of water. I keep a small backpack with 6-10 bottles of water in it next to my tackle box. While fishing if I need water I just grab a bottle and down it. Usually I can do this while still soaking a bait, if not it will be at bait change time. Each morning I bring more water up from my room to refill the backpack.

The backpack has several uses. Its not just for water. I keep sunscreen in an outer pocket and finger wrap, band aids, polysporine (sp) in a front pocket. All my buddies knows whats in the backpack and help themselves. Its also open to anyone on the boat that has a need.

I don't want to take away from the deck hands who usually get a cut of the money from sales. So I always bring them a care package and of course tip.

Jerry

Soda Pop

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
I bring water on 3 different boats. Never had a problem. But I tip the crew and they know that. I also bring Soda and juices with me. Also Soda Pop and a couple of boxes of treats for the crew..... sunflower seeds...jerky......socks....... candy... ect.

Last edited:

harddrive

Wish I Was Fishing!
Sep 9, 2004
West LA
Name
Min
Boat
None
Every LR boat I've been on had no issues with bringing your own beer, water or liquor. The crew makes money on the tip and not selling stuff on the boat. A few of the boats, they don't even carry water to sell, so you won't have to worry.

Lake

I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 31, 2003
Visalia, CA
Name
Blaine Lake
Boat
none
I'm pretty surer the crew makes some money on beer and tackle. I agree they probably get most of their money from tips.

backlashjack

Scallywag
May 14, 2007
Alta Loma, CA
Name
Jackson
Boat
Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
Ya bring it, bring enough to share though.
I know the deckies like it when I bring a couple cases of vitamin water (and let them have as much as they want)

sundaytrucka

Fish or Die
Sep 8, 2013
Orange County
Name
Scott
Boat
Thank you for the input. I will call/message ahead of time and clarify with the boat, this is my first LR trip, so it is all new to me. We worked the tip into our fare price, so they already know they are getting a tip, but I have no problem throwing a $20+ to have my "extra" stuff hauled onto the boat and beers put in the cooler.

SODA POP mentioned extras for the crew, candy, jerky...what do you guys recommend to bring for them?

Thanks, Scott

zman91

Sep 3, 2007
Ocean
Name
Jack mehoff
Boat
Your wife’s when your out of town
All drinks are a buck on the SOA. So its probably not even worth the pain in the ass to bring beer. The Spirit is one of the most laided back boats I have ever been on so I would think it would be ok to bring whatever drinks you want. You couldn't pay me to drink the fresh water out of some boats. I can barely drink the coffee that certain boats have because they use the fresh water out of the faucet. Hose water sitting in a 40 year old tank or fresh water coming out of water maker with a filter that has never been changed is what most boats have coming out of their faucets.

abdiver7777

abdiver7777
Jul 2, 2009
So Cal
Name
Sir2you
Boat
No Name........
Most boats use a reverse osmosis filter to make freshwater so the water is actually very good for drinking. Likely as good or better than bottled water. I have also never seen anyone told that they could not bring their own beverages. It might be more of an issue on the shorter half day type trips but I would doubt it to be an issue on a 5 day. As has already been mentioned the easiest thing to do is just ask the office and there won't be any guessing. I would ask if they filter their own water for drinking too. If so I would not bother hauling bottled water. Just bring a water bottle if you want.
Most boats do frown on passengers loading up the boats cooler with their beer or stuffing beverages in the ice machine.
Wrong..... R/O water is actually full of sodium compared to most tap water...... it also depletes your body of trace minerals.... R/O water and softened water are not good to drink long term....

http://www.discountjuicers.com/healthywater.html

Last edited:

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
I bring water on 3 different boats. Never had a problem. But I tip the crew and they know that. I also bring Soda and juices with me. Also Soda Pop and a couple of boxes of treats for the crew..... sunflower seeds...jerky......socks....... candy... ect.

Soda Pop has his own storage room on the Intrepid just for his soda pop…..seriously.

Reactions: Soda Pop