Can anyone tell me if this Skipjack looks like a good boat to buy?

CoatsFamily

Jul 19, 2012
Corona, CA USA
Name
Jaslie
Boat
Jaslie
Totally new to older boats this style, but really like the layout of them. (comfort for kids/wife and fishing). Found this listing and I wanted to see if anyone could give your opinion regarding the motor. Does this look like a good one? Any red flags? Will go look at it, just a bit of a drive and wanted an opinion!
thanks!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hismosa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat
    Boats n hoes
    Looks very clean for the age, and nice to have a newer engine. Although I think most would prefer diesel in this model. The electronics look original for the most part so due for an upgrade.

Reactions: CoatsFamily
    Upvote 0

Big_Tuna_

Aug 3, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Bigtuna
    Boat
    Parker 2310
    Old electronics, and not setup up for fishing, ie no bait tank , lack of rod holders. Those things alone will run you another 20k. Seems like a rebuilt motor but it looks carbureted, old technology, poorer economy. Yeah most are diesel, this boat seems overpriced. But who knows in this market.

Upvote 0

pescaloco

fish hunter
    Aug 17, 2005
    san diego
    Name
    Mark B.
    Boat
    27 Foot Stringari Custom
    Seems ok but be aware the fuel tank probably needs to be replaced if it has not already been done

Upvote 0

tbev

Dec 21, 2017
    SoCal
    Name
    tom
    Boat
    Skipjack 24
    You just need to get it surveyed. Stringers & is a transom for rot and fuel tank and the major turnoffs. Don't be scared of a carborated gas motor, if it's solid it will be much cheaper and just fine. Talk to Mike at skipjack, he's the guy with all the info. He's helped me out a ton.

Upvote 0

CoatsFamily

Jul 19, 2012
    Corona, CA USA
    Name
    Jaslie
    Boat
    Jaslie
    Saw this one also, nervous about getting an older boat but this appears nice. Of course we’d get it surveyed to make sure. Any red flags on this one?

Upvote 0

Big_Tuna_

Aug 3, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Bigtuna
    Boat
    Parker 2310
    I think he switched his original post, there used to be a gas skipjack 262 in his post, now it's a diesel Blackman. Yeah I think that old motor in the Blackman will be really slow!

Upvote 0

CoatsFamily

Jul 19, 2012
    Corona, CA USA
    Name
    Jaslie
    Boat
    Jaslie
    I think he switched his original post, there used to be a gas skipjack 262 in his post, now it's a diesel Blackman. Yeah I think that old motor in the Blackman will be really slow!
    Yeah I added the Blackman and accidentally deleted the Skippy. I put it back, thanks for all your advice

Upvote 0

Big_Tuna_

Aug 3, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Bigtuna
    Boat
    Parker 2310
    If this is your first boat and If you're looking to just drop the boat in the water and go fishing with the minimal amount of maintenance and effort get something with an outboard. Once you try to start looking for something that will both entertain the wife and kids and allow you to fish you asking for more work. BTW boat that size they aren't really going to be hanging out in cabin while you are fishing unless it's flat as a lake out there which is rare. The amenities are more for while anchored up or sitting in the slip. So ask yourself and determine what you really want to use the boat for. Also, btw wife and kids will probably fish with you less than you think.....

Upvote 0

Hustler

He's On Again!?!
    May 31, 2003
    Poway redneck
    www.wedigscripps.com
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    23' Maritime Patriot
    The only downside IMHO, on both boats, is being stuck up on the flybridge - in all types of weather and all times of the day/night.

Having a place to navigate from down below 'and' having controls up top - now you have the best of both worlds.

Try searching for a Blackman Outerbanks or a Skipjack Fisherman pilothouse or similar.

Upvote 0

Dave Coopman

Almost A Member
    May 26, 2019
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Dave Coopman
    Boat
    Judge 27
    Big Tuna hit the nail on the head. Figure out what you want it for.

survey the boat. Expect to put some money into it. 20k is probably the minimum.

Trailers will run you 10k at least, unless you find a used one.

Either boat will be slow 15-18 knots if you don’t want to watch your fuel gauge go down. Top speed will be low 20’s.

Upvote 0

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Brother.... about buying decisions.... my dad use to say...."you have to throw your anchor out somewhere"..... right? Meaning it ALL should start.... the same way... regardless of your final choice.

I don't care what you buy.... get a SURVEY.... bar none. Think of it as a "Research" investment.... on your fore coming Boat. Besides your house... second.most costly thing you may own. Don't pass.... dont buy. Pay now.... or pay later. Seems intelligent. Be smart.... let them know beforehand. See what happens.

Upvote 0

SavageSon

• Jan 3, 2017
    COSTA MESA
    Name
    SEAWOLF
    Boat
    JACK COLE SPECIAL
    Both are nice boats - but that Blackman has a diesel - both boats are gonna be slow, so if you have time and plan to spend the night at the islands, then who cares - however, if you plan to fish and come home in the same day, go find yourself a boat with an outboard, better fuel economy and will allow you to fish farther per trip - for example, if you launch from San Diego and plan just 1 day, you are gonna want something that gets you out there and back home in one day - need a boat that does 25 plus knotts -

Upvote 0

rxm

Almost A Member
    Jul 18, 2009
    El Cajon
    Name
    Erik
    Boat
    26ft. Blackman Billfisher
    Both are nice boats - but that Blackman has a diesel - both boats are gonna be slow, so if you have time and plan to spend the night at the islands, then who cares - however, if you plan to fish and come home in the same day, go find yourself a boat with an outboard, better fuel economy and will allow you to fish farther per trip - for example, if you launch from San Diego and plan just 1 day, you are gonna want something that gets you out there and back home in one day - need a boat that does 25 plus knotts -

Upvote 0

Big_Tuna_

Aug 3, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Bigtuna
    Boat
    Parker 2310
    Both the boats are really big and heavy. I've heard the skipjack needs at least the 280hp if going with diesel which I think is the old kad300. Even then wont keep up with outboards. (On a flat day) Blackman I would expect the same need for hp. 170 will be so slow

Upvote 0