uglyducky

I heard there was gonna be cake?
Dec 5, 2017
Los Angeles
Name
Jesse Collin
Boat
It's complicated
Hi all, working on lining out some of the smaller details of my build out on a 27’ BW Challenger. Cabin is quite small as you can imagine and I’m wondering between say, a microwave or a little fridge, what do you all who do multi day trips tend to find yourselves using more of the two? Or neither?

pescaloco

fish hunter
Aug 17, 2005
san diego
Name
Mark B.
Boat
27 Foot Stringari Custom
I have a fridge and microwave
could have done with out the fridge, they are so small for a smaller boat

Reactions: uglyducky

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
I totally agree that a refrigerator is a waste (of money, space and electricity). But you do need to be able to at least heat, but ideally cook, some food. The two big problems with a microwave are 1) they are really only good for reheating food. You aren't going to be able to make a burger, or even a decent hot dog one one. You could go with a combo convection oven microwave, but that brings up the second problem -- 2) electricity consumption. If you don't have the capacity (either house bank or generator/alternator), it really isn't a viable option. But either way, I would recommend a propane BBQ instead. Even though my boat has a full galley (we have cooked full turkey with all the trimmings before), most of our meals are cooked on a BBQ. We have a griddle attachment which is great for frying bacon and cooking eggs. Burgers, hot dogs, ribs, chicken wings, etc., easily beats microwave food. And I think a BBQ is a little safer than putting a propane stove inside. Whatever you do, don't plan on an alcohol stove without understanding the dangers of the invisible flames that burning alcohol produces.

uglyducky

Dec 5, 2017
Los Angeles
Name
Jesse Collin
Boat
It's complicated
I totally agree that a refrigerator is a waste (of money, space and electricity). But you do need to be able to at least heat, but ideally cook, some food. The two big problems with a microwave are 1) they are really only good for reheating food. You aren't going to be able to make a burger, or even a decent hot dog one one. You could go with a combo convection oven microwave, but that brings up the second problem -- 2) electricity consumption. If you don't have the capacity (either house bank or generator/alternator), it really isn't a viable option. But either way, I would recommend a propane BBQ instead. Even though my boat has a full galley (we have cooked full turkey with all the trimmings before), most of our meals are cooked on a BBQ. We have a griddle attachment which is great for frying bacon and cooking eggs. Burgers, hot dogs, ribs, chicken wings, etc., easily beats microwave food. And I think a BBQ is a little safer than putting a propane stove inside. Whatever you do, don't plan on an alcohol stove without understanding the dangers of the invisible flames that burning alcohol produces.
Have this and I agree about microwaves. I never use one at home but curious if anyone actually uses one on longer trips for any reason

A2A24C0B-9894-4E85-94EB-3472DD231FA4.jpeg

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
Sep 16, 2019
United States
Name
Bud
Boat
Formula 233
Have this and I agree about microwaves. I never use one at home but curious if anyone actually uses one on longer trips for any reason

View attachment 1251890
Yes, but a little different. They make one that drops into a rod holder, and we use the heck out of it. I don’t remember where I bought it but they should be available online somewhere. Try to find an old aluminum rod butt and fab up a mount, you’d have a pretty slick setup. Between a grill and a microwave, you’re set.

kevina

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Yes, but a little different. They make one that drops into a rod holder, and we use the heck out of it. I don’t remember where I bought it but they should be available online somewhere. Try to find an old aluminum rod butt and fab up a mount, you’d have a pretty slick setup. Between a grill and a microwave, you’re set.
    That's the ticket. I have almost the same one as post #8 and I fabricated mounting a flat plate with brackets on the feet on each leg and it drops right into a rod holder with a gimbal on the pole, so it doesn't turn when rockin and rollin. Also the pole easily detaches from the BBQ for easy storage.

uglyducky

Dec 5, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Jesse Collin
    Boat
    It's complicated
    We also got a bracket for it with flush mounts for the gunnel 👍🏼

will install all of it when we are closer to finishing

madrugador

ITS ALL ABOUT THE HUNT
  • Jul 6, 2004
    el cajon
    Name
    chad
    Boat
    26 blackman MADRUGADOR II For sale ,13'6 gregor hoopster
    I have both. Really nice to always have cold drinks on the boat . But i slip my boat in the summer so i use it more . Afternoon halibut trips last minute having a cold beer is always nice.

mahi

Jan 5, 2005
    laguna niguel
    Name
    Bob
    Boat
    Henriques 28 Express
    I had the 120v/12v refer and I always had it turned on at the dock on shore power. Ice Cold Beer!!!! I had a large house bank and kept it on when I was out Marlin trolling. No battery issues. The boat had a microwave and I used it to heat food. I used a 2000 watt Honda Genny to power the microwave. Lastly, I had a round Magma grill that lasted more than 15 years. The rectangle grills sold at Big 5 work too and are much cheaper than a Magma. I only lit the BBQ when sitting in a good anchorage. You want to have options. I suggest installing a refer and microwave if you have room. These two items along with a full head make it second home and a potential write off on any loan debt.

Reactions: NaClAddict

FULLY LOADED

Long time member
  • Aug 10, 2005
    VISTA CA
    www.LongerShelfLife.com
    Name
    MARK aka "Mako"
    Boat
    Skipjack 262 Diesel "One Eyed Jack"
    Breakfast burritos - need I say more
    Before I had a microwave on my boat.. we would heat up those breakfast burritos on the engine.. always known as 'Manifold Burritos" mmm good stuff!

Reactions: mahi and uglyducky

dctrjayyy

Jun 27, 2005
    Tustin
    Name
    Joshua
    Boat
    whaler
    Microwave. You don't bbq burritos and oatmeal and coffee in the am. BBQ outside. fridge is a waste. If you're out of ice, you shouldn't be fishing any more anyway

Reactions: uglyducky

Reefmo

Almost A Member
    Nov 28, 2016
    North OC
    Name
    Matt Skogmo
    Boat
    Trout Sniffer - heavily customized 18.5 tracker targa
    I fished on a battlewagon in Hawaii that had an icemaker on board. That was badass. It could either fill a local bin (drinks etc) or it had a trickle fill for the fish box.

If I had unlimited funds/space I'd do that, it is such a pain to slog ice all the time.

uglyducky

Dec 5, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Jesse Collin
    Boat
    It's complicated
    I fished on a battlewagon in Hawaii that had an icemaker on board. That was badass. It could either fill a local bin (drinks etc) or it had a trickle fill for the fish box.

If I had unlimited funds/space I'd do that, it is such a pain to slog ice all the time.
    How big was it? And where does the fresh water come from?

peakay

Jun 27, 2016
    Hewport Harbor, CA
    Name
    Paul
    Boat
    1990 Tiara 2700 Open
    So our microwave brings our portable Honda generator to its knees -- way too much electricity draw. Is it our microwave that is the problem or is this common? Do newer ones use less juice? Same problem with a kcup coffee maker. Tried both plugging into our power port and also running directly off an extension cord.

So unless we are doing it wrong, I'd say fridge plus a grill or propane stove.

Tranquility

Tranquility
    Mar 13, 2004
    Calif
    Name
    Bryan
    Boat
    Century 3200WA