Camprgounds near Redding, CA ?

Discussion in 'Camping & 4x4' started by Shimano Penn, May 20, 2018.

1. Shimano Penn

Shimano Penn Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Fond Memory
    You guys gave me some good intel in my other post for BLM land. Now I have a reason to go up to Redding for a week or so and I'm looking for a campground or BLM area. All I can find on the internet is glitzy RV parks at $50 per night. Suggestions?

2. Shimano Penn

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Fond Memory
    Found a spot at Oak Bottom/ Whiskeytown Lake for $22 per night. It looks like it's just a parking lot :rolleyes: so I'll look for something better when I get up there, just wanted to have a security blanket as it will be a Holiday weekend and possibly packed.

Now on to the more important part, I'm guessing I don't need my 30-80 lb gear to fish up there ;). I think the river and lakes up there are stocked with smaller grade yellow tail tuna ?????

3. brokeass boater

brokeass boater Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Gregg
    Boat:
    24' Skipjack w/Pilothouse, 21' Marada, 15' Boston Whaler
    Not sure what your looking for, a place to camp for R and R or on business and need to stay closer to town wanting a campground. Your right anything along I-5 and the river will be expensive, and not campgrounds, even though they call them that. What would be the furthest out of Redding you want to stay? Great spots along 44 east towards Lassen. But it may be too far for a Business trip. Go to the Fly Shop in Redding and ask them about options for local fishing,,,gregg

4. Jones-White

Jones-White Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    Handmade 22' V hull Dory. (Jeff Spira Design)
    Not much For camping out in redding. Used to live out there. Shasta is awesome to fish but the tweakers and thievs make it hard to enjoy.

5. DoubletroubleII

DoubletroubleII Fish On!

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    19' Harbercraft
    Old SoCal guy here, but have lived in NorCal for almost 30 years now. Redding is a town with problems/meth/struggling. You looked at Whiskey town Lake area, there is a Lake not to far from Whiskey called Trinity Lake.........any of the major 4 campgrounds at Trinity are 3 times as good as Whiskey in my honest opinion. Great fishing and good views of the Trinity Alps.

stella marina likes this.
  6. Jones-White

Jones-White Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    Handmade 22' V hull Dory. (Jeff Spira Design)
    ^^ very true check out trinity !

7. stella marina

stella marina Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Andrew
    Boat:
    Parker 2320, 16 Klamath cc, 10 ft Livingston "bass slayer"
    I third trinity.
    The lake is sweet, and Weaverville is as cool town with everything needed for food and fishing. Get off the 5 you'll be glad you did, and you can shoot your guns in the national Forrest.

8. mike garrahan

mike garrahan TheSabreGuy

Name:
    mike garrahan
    Boat:
    23 ft. crestliner
    If you want to get a little ways away from Redding there are some nice places on 299 towards Willow Creek along the Trinity River. We used to stay at Burnt Ranch and it was very nice. There are several campgrounds scattered along the Trinity River in that area and there are usually very few people using them.

Black-is-Back likes this.
  9. brokeass boater

Name:
    Gregg
    Boat:
    Trinity will most likely be fill up this Holiday weekend. Maybe Coffee Creek on the way to Trinity, there are some first come campgrounds along it. Look into National Forest campgrounds that are first come basis. If your boondocking it, that opens up a few more opportunity's since the campgrounds with some facility's fill up first. You can camp anywhere in the NF for free, just have to check on fire permits, There are lots of logging roads up there that are next to streams to fish that a two wheel drive can get into, shoot your guns, just reax and enjoy the timber,,,gregg

stella marina likes this.
  10. 64 sleeper

64 sleeper Father Fisherman Hunter

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    North River Seahawk
    Trinity lake is awesome. I have a cabin that I live in up there in the summer (I am a teacher). It is about 1 hour an 20 min to the north side of the lake from redding. I think the best camping area is Alpine view campground. It is 2 miles off the highway, so it is quiet and right on the lake. No hook ups and it is $20 a night. Second choice might be Minersville because it is also off the highway a ways. I guess if you have a camper or RV you could stay at any of the campgrounds around the lake. Preacher Meadow hardly ever fills up. It is very close to highway and logging trucks sometimes start going by at 5 am. There is also a nice little store in Trinity Center and decent trout fishing in the creeks that dump into the lake. Bass fishing is great from a boat. Boat rentals at Cedar Stock marina. Have fun....really is a unique beautiful spot in the world. Been going there for 30 years.

11. Shimano Penn

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Fond Memory
    You guys are awesome, I will try to check out Trinity. The deal is a lifelong friend is buyin a house in Redding and I am going up to help him out. Figuered since I've never been to the area i'd check out the fishing and camping. Thanks all.

12. njoyflyfishing

njoyflyfishing Newbie

Name:
    Nathan
    Boat:
    16' Slideright
    From Redding, if you go west, you head to Trinity, north you head to Shasta, and east you head to Lassen.

Trinity is nice, and you can also camp at Lewiston Lake on the way. The fishing on Lewiston Lake is well known for large trout although you may need some type of personal watercraft to find them. Trinity is a large area, and others here covered some of it.

If you go on I-5 towards Shasta, you can camp at Sims campground on the Upper Sac about 30 minutes from Redding. Many people like to camp there and fish the river. About 20 minutes up the river you can camp at Castle Crags on the river as well. A left turn at Mt. Shasta and you can camp at Lake Siskiyou. There are some trout and smallmouth in that lake. Further up the road there are a bunch of high mountain lakes that can be driven or hiked to, and there is a beautiful campground at Castle Lake. If you go right at Mt. Shasta you can head to the McCloud and camp at Fowler's camp or head farther down the road and camp at Ah-Di-Nah. Ah-Di-Nah used to be pretty unimproved and the road not so good, so not sure you can get a trailer there, but this section of river is awesome.

If you head east from Redding, you can go towards Burney or Mt. Lassen. There is camping on Hat Creek around Burney, as well as camping at Manzanita Lake. Manzanita Lake is in the national park and a beautiful spot. Fishing is restricted to artificial lures and flies, but fish can be had from shore. Also, there is camping and fishing at McCumber Lake near Shingletown on the way to Lassen, although no boats with motors are allowed.

Tight Lines

13. brokeass boater

Name:
    Gregg
    Boat:
    I like the area up towards Burney/Lassen more then Trinity, more options to Trout fish on the east side also. If you go up to Burney and explore the area for a few days then you'll have the option to drive down to Tahoe on 89 or cross over and/or come down the east side of the Sierras on 395 vs back tracking down I-5. Either way have a great trip,,,gregg

14. Shimano Penn

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Fond Memory
    WOW ! I just got back, was on a 16 day road trip Redding/ Shasta/ Trinity area. Not all camping and fishing, there was 4 days travel time and 4-5 days spent in Redding propper. But let me say I am impressed, never been to that area before. To have so much beauty and nature in such close proximity to city amenities is awesome. I didn't get way off grid, this was my first exploratory trip with the converted camper van and I was cautious about getting too remote. Mostly stayed in State and SRC campgrounds, first night at Shingletown KOA because it was all I could find (Holiday Weekend) on the internet.
    In Redding I found a place called Hermit's Hut, basically a backpacking and hiking shop. It's run by an awesome dude named Dan. He grew up hiking, camping and fishing the area, has a photo on the wall of an infant in a backpack, it's him on his dad's back. I bought a map and he marked it up for me, I didn't even get to half the places he suggested.
    I was up there to help out a friend, we did a lot of exploring in his car before I put the old van to the test on serious climbs.
    The day before he got there I went out to Jones Valley, considered staying there but ended up at Lakeshore East. Nice old campo there named Dale, gave me some good intel.
    Lance arrived and we went up to McCloud Bridge the first day, stopping to check out every campground and anything of interest along the way. It's really nice up there but Shasta is low and has that dirty bathtub ring around it, not all that pretty. Besides I knew the van would never make it up there, too much sustained grade. She runs hot, going to look into a new radiator. Also, locals there said as summer progresses the water level will drop to the point where in August it will all be dry.
    Next day we went West to look at Whiskytown, Lewiston and Trinity. Stopped at as many places as we could in one day.
    I settled on Cooper Gulch at Lewiston Lake; it's beautiful, private (only 5 spots) and the lake is always kept full ( I was told anyway) so it has a more natural look. I got the premier spot right on the water and had the place pretty much to myself exceopt for a couple neighbors (quiet and nice) Saturday and Sunday. I pulled a couple nice grade ~16-18" Kokanee Salmon out of there. Yummy! I also fished Pine Cove just up the road, got a couple nice rainbows.
    I fished, camped, hiked and swam... it was awesome.
    Can't wait to go back. If work doesn't call I'll head back up when my buddy closes on the house to help him fix it up, maybe two weeks.

15. J Woodman

J Woodman I know nothing

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    15' Gregor Baja Special "Silver Bullet II"
    Try a phone app called Park Advisor.

16. brokeass boater

Name:
    Gregg
    Boat:
    Very cool, sounds like a great trip. As summer goes on and if you are up there around Aug. It will be the same as being in Parker AZ in Aug. as far as temps go. No place for a vehicle that runs warm. Get your projects done and head for the high Timber, much cooler up there,,,gregg