scott v

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 3, 2011
Rancho Santa Margarita
Name
Scott
Boat
Keep wishing
We have time off first week in August and we were supposed to be on a family dive trip out of the country. We were holding out hope but it’s not happening.

I would like to venture somewhere different with the family (wife 7&10 year old boys). Tent camping along a stream or river would be ideal. We typically camp at a site along the Tioga pass is the Sierras but looking for something different. I do not mind staying in the Sierras but reservations are hard to come by on short notice. Anyone have recommendations for areas outside the state (UT,CO, WY,OR). Cabins could also be an option If available. Thanks for any info.

hbouldin1216

May 10, 2012
Lodi, CA
Name
Henry Bouldin
Boat
14 Gregor - Tinacious
Tahoe is amazing if you've never been, and most of the stuff on the Nevada side is still open.

yellowklr

My Best Catch!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 22, 2003
San Diego,Ca
Name
Derek
Boat
complicated
Thanks, sounds like an interesting place. Camping is first come, have you ever had a problem getting a site there.
only time it fills is 4th of July ....Its huge!

It has it all -Stream fishing,Lake fishing,Cabins,dry camp,store,Restraunt,Bar,Hot Springs..........PM for any info

Reactions: scott v

scott v

Sep 3, 2011
Rancho Santa Margarita
Name
Scott
Boat
Keep wishing
I like yellowklr’s suggestion. Only concern is fishing is off in the Sierra’s due to disease at the hatcheries. Boys would like to be able to catch fish.

Still contemplating the Sierras, possibly duck creek area in Utah. Anyone have other suggestions?

esgeo

Feb 12, 2015
Tulsa, OK
Name
Eric
Boat
Feelfree Lure 11.5
Scott,
If you are looking for a cool spot in the mountains off the beaten path, the Ruby Mountains/East Humboldt Range near Elko, Nevada may be an interesting option. Check out Lamoille Canyon area specifically. It’s a bit of a haul from SoCal (11 hrs), but a world away. Nice trails, mountain peaks, alpine lakes, etc... Great Basin National Park is pretty sweet too and slightly closer. you could theoretically hit both places in a single trip... hope you have a good trip whatever you decide.

yellowklr

My Best Catch!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 22, 2003
San Diego,Ca
Name
Derek
Boat
complicated
I like yellowklr’s suggestion. Only concern is fishing is off in the Sierra’s due to disease at the hatcheries. Boys would like to be able to catch fish.

Still contemplating the Sierras, possibly duck creek area in Utah. Anyone have other suggestions?
fishing is strong right now and they just did a plant last week....Not sure about the issue you are speaking of?

scott v

Sep 3, 2011
Rancho Santa Margarita
Name
Scott
Boat
Keep wishing
My understanding is the lakes were not receiving much if any fish due to the problems with disease at the hatcheries. I spoke to a guide on the June loop who told me the fishing was slow due to lack of plants but the fish that are being caught are good grade. Neighbor was up last week and pretty much said the same. He’s not a very good fisherman so do not put much trust in him.
Are you hearing different on the fishing front?

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat
23 ft. crestliner
Robinson Creek and Twin Lakes just outside of Bridgeport. The area is beautiful and it is a lot less crowded than Mammoth Lakes and the June Lake area. Bridgeport is a neat town and hasn't changed much in the last 50 years. You can take a side trip to Bodie and check out the old mining town if it is open.

matt86m

Not worthy of a Title
Apr 6, 2010
Fountain Valley, CA
Name
Matt
Boat
20' Tiara Pursuit
We just camped at Four Jeffery in the Sierras above Bishop. Was a good time. Some spots you can reserve but there are a lot that are first come,,,

Lake Sabrina, South lake, North lake and intake II are all close and open. Streams too.
We killed the trout on a sliding bobber with night crawlers. I threw every jig I had and no luck. They haven't planted near as much but the fish were nice grade and tasty.

What ever lake you go to look for the streams entering and fish them.

We rented a boat 2 days, the pontoons were booked but the 14-15' aluminum did the trick for 4 men.

There are other camp grounds up that way too that are first come.

Cardinal village is in Aspendell and have a great breakfast served on the patio.

Tar Pit

Mar 7, 2006
Reno NV
Name
Friend of Bucko Shaw
Boat
None.
I see a lot of people camping in down town LA but I would say Rock Creek. Drive up 395 to Tom's Place turn left and go up the hill. I like East Fork the best.

Reactions: koubster

ChuyDawg

Tight Lines
May 13, 2004
Southern California
Name
Chuy
Boat
Wish I had One
It is not that far and very beautiful,
Lopez Lake in San Luis Obispo
Request Toro 3, 4 or 5 site.
4 is in the middle and has the best view of the Marina and the lake.
You will have Deer walking past your camp site each night and have a beautiful night sky to stare off to at your camp fire.

24729_103883846315110_2254333_n.jpg

24729_103883879648440_6518957_n.jpg

Reactions: kbray001