3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
18' Crestliner Superhawk, 14' Tracker "Fish Git' RRR"
Hey all,

I'm going to be camping on Lake Mohave (or Mead) for a few days and want to cook a few stripers in the camp fire while were out there. I've cooked trout in the camp fire before (gill/gut/scale, few pats of butter, wrap in foil and throw in fire) and they turned out tastey, but have never heard of doing this with striper before. Anyone have suggestions for stripers cooked like this, or know what seasonings would make them turn out good.

Thanks,
Dan

fishes erectous

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 1, 2006
Perris
Name
Jeff (aka Baby Huey)
Boat
none/looking
Dan,
When we would beach camp at Lake Mead,this is the way I did it;
Wrap 4 fillets in foil with a little butter,a little squirt of lime juice,dash of garlic powder,dash of ground ginger,put on the grill for about 5 minutes per side.
Even the fish haters would enjoy it.
I just made my mouth water,Enjoy.

1:11

WMDcustoms
Jul 28, 2005
Name
Boat
Good luck if you go, hope you slayem. Make sure to take the skin off, dont want anybody getting any scales.

WIDEOPENBITE

A SALT WEAPON
Feb 4, 2005
Gulf Breeze, FLA
Name
Jeff
Boat
Yours
Fillet them, skin them, and cut into one inch cubes. Boil a pot of water and drop in the striper chunks for a few minutes until white and firm. Drain and serve with melted butter. Tastes just like lobster. No kidding.

I had heard this for a number of years from one of my friends from Needles and was very skeptical. Then, I tried it. You should, too.

Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
18' Crestliner Superhawk, 14' Tracker "Fish Git' RRR"
Thanks for the info guys!

FE, I bought a few limes at the store and will give it a shot.

WOB, I've never heard about the boiling/dipping in butter/tasting like lobster thing. I'm curious about this one and will give it a try tonight on some nice striper steaks sitting in the freezer.

If all works out well I'll have a few ways to cook our catch while out there.

stonefly

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 21, 2007
sacramento, ca.
Name
randy welsh
Boat
16' mirrocraft
the foil, butter & seasonings is my first choice but for a little variety try running a bead of bar b que sauce down some fillets and wrap that in foil. YUM-EEE!

hunster

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 5, 2005
canyon country
Name
hun lee
Boat
none
if you got time, gill, gut, and completely scale the striper. take a sharp knife and halve the fish from the inside out....thats taking the knife and running the blade from the belly cavity along the skeleton but dont take it off the bone, just halve it. when done corrrectly, you literally should have the fish flipped inside out. if you're handy with the knife, you can go ahead and remove the skeleton/bone so it'll be boneless but you dont have to. now generously season the fish inside and out with salt, pepper, etc. place lemon slices, root veggies (onion, carrots, celery, etc)and some butter on the inside and wrap in foil. now place on grill and forget about it for a while, flip it and forget it for another while. depending on size of fish of course, the bigger the longer you can forget. i personally think skin and bones add alot of flavor and substance and character to a meal so i usually leave it on especially if i'm foiling and grilling but its personal choice. serve immeadiately with potatoes, rice, veggies, etc etc. dont forget about the cheeks!!!