DH10

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 18, 2009
Pinedale WY USA
Name
Dave Harper
Boat
17 Crestliner
My wife and I spent March 4-13 in Cambutal at Los Buzos, fishing 6 days on pangas. The fishing was pretty darned good. I had two wishes for the trip-to catch tuna on poppers and to get rocked by some behemoths speed jigging. My wishes were fulfilled--there were some slow periods, but also some wide open popping for tuna and jigging for grouper/pargo/amberjack. Lots of other species mixed in as well. We fished mostly with Adriano, and one day with Tani, all on pangas with 40 hp Yamahas.

The first day fishing we caught jacks and roosterfish on a trolled rapala, and sierra, grouper and pargo on jigs. The second day my wife was the queen of jacks, catching a half dozen crevalle, 4 roosters, and even a sierra on the rapala.

Day three we were surrounded by porpoise for houres, but the tuna would not eat. Throwing poppers in the mayhem resulted in 2 20-30 pound fish. We ended up down by punta Mariato late in the day and had 1.5 hours of non-stop action, with many triple hookups and general chaos. Crazy fun, none of the tuna were over 50 pounds, but that made it faster to get them to the boat and throw back into the mix! Poppers were nailed while they sat, and watching a tuna greyhound toward your popper is outrageously fun. We were all losing line, untangeling snarls, but I managed to pull one mullet snapper out of abig school before it was time to head back to the lodge.
<o:p></o:p> After a day of rest, our fourth day was pretty slow, but on day 5 we hit the motherlode of grouper and AJ's on Jigs. We got rocked my some beasts, but ended up boating 2 nice broomtails and 2 AJ's, and 4 pargo. That is addicting!
<o:p></o:p>
Our last day we jigged up some more AJ's, including a toad that took me over half an hour to boat with the drag buttoned down. Even so, it made some huge runs. Unfortunately, we could not release it, it just kept floating to the surface. That was a bummer, but seeing the reaction on the local village when that fish came ashore was pretty funny! Everyone wanted a picture with that fish--I was assured there would be a large party that night!<o:p></o:p>
Besides the fishing, we spent many hours surrounded by huge schools of porpoise that loved to surf our wake. Whales surfaced between us and the shoreline when were less than 500 yards from shore. Howler monkeys, parakeets—very cool stuff for a guy from <st1:place w:st="on">Wyoming</st1:place>.
<o:p></o:p>
I can't say enough about Ron and his family/staff. We stayed at one of the villas overlooking the bay, really a fantastic place. Full kitchen, washer drier etc, and an amazing view off the deck. And anything you wanted, they tried their best to get you--including more food than we could eat! Quite affordable for a fishing destination in <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Panama</st1:place></st1:country-region>, I highly recommend the place.<o:p></o:p>

PCH

El Nino 2015!!!!!!
Jul 14, 2008
North San Diego
Name
Paul
Boat
Gregor 20
Wow! That is a hell of an amberjack!! Was that at Mariato?

Ron and crew definetly do a great job at Buzos. And it's good to see pepe too.

Nice work on the Panga, way to get it done!

DH10

Aug 18, 2009
Pinedale WY USA
Name
Dave Harper
Boat
17 Crestliner
Wow! That is a hell of an amberjack!! Was that at Mariato?

Ron and crew definetly do a great job at Buzos. And it's good to see pepe too.

Nice work on the Panga, way to get it done!
Ron guessed it was over 100, and he was pretty accurate with the tuna.

It was caught not too far from the lodge, on a "bueno roca"....my lips are sealed LOL

PCH

El Nino 2015!!!!!!
Jul 14, 2008
North San Diego
Name
Paul
Boat
Gregor 20
Ron guessed it was over 100, and he was pretty accurate with the tuna.

It was caught not too far from the lodge, on a "bueno roca"....my lips are sealed LOL

Sounds like one of the rocks around Muero De puercos... Good enough for me. Defienetly looks like a 100 pounder. It's good to see a amberjack that big, it's been a while.

Great job again thanks for the pics.

OFischer

Apr 18, 2010
Fort Myers,Fl USA
Name
Ozzie
Boat
24 Century Bay Boat
Would you recommend this place for my self, wife and 16 year old son. Would be going end of June. Is there a boat that can accommodate 3 people. We are very experienced fisherman. Also can you surf fish there. Was thinking about Costa Rica but I love Panama. My wife and son have been to neither. I have been to both. I've never heard of this place till your post. Looks like a place I'd love. How do you book a charter there and any recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Capt. Ozzie Fischer

DH10

Aug 18, 2009
Pinedale WY USA
Name
Dave Harper
Boat
17 Crestliner
I would recommend it without hesitation. Very clean, layed back and safe. Great surfing as well.

All the fishing is done off pangas, three people can easily fish out of one. We fished 6 days, some days were fantastic, other days lots of trolling. I think one reason we did well was that we are experienced and told the captain what we wanted to do, and had the gear to do it. Ron has great trolling gear, bring popping and jigging rods/tackle, use his heavy stuff for trolling.

I am told there can be great beach fishing for jacks and snook. We tried it, but the swell was huge, and I did not try very hard. Gonzalo has caught 30 pound snook with smallish rapalas while fishing in between surfing (tough life)! If you are going to beach fish, I would rent a high ground clearance vehicle that will allow you to explore the coast. The beach road is pretty good, but there are washes that require more ground clearance than a typical rental car. Not sure you really need 4 x 4.

Ron (the owner of Los Buzos) will set up all your fishing, provide lunch, water and gas at a great price.

If you have been to Panama, then you know that the Azuero Peninsula is a ranching area. Away from the beaches, most of the hillsides are working pasture, not forest, so the place is not pristine. The further you head west, up the coast toward the park, the hillsides become more lush and rugged.

There were people staying at Los Buzos who came down for the weekend from Costa Rica and live near Quepos. They came down to fish, so that should give some idea where the best fishing is!

PM me if you want any more info--Dave

Sep 2, 2009
SD
Name
Steve
Boat
Lund 16
Ozzie Go! I think about the place all the time and can't wait to get back. I went last July with wife, 2 kids, and sister. Its the perfect (at least it was last year) the perfect blend of being just far enough off the beaten path but right at the end of the paved road. Hope that makes sense. All these guys who posted here gave me great info. Unfortunately, I went surfing with Gonzalo before I went fishing with him, so I did not use a lot of the fishing information they shared with me! Next time. Stayed at Hotel Playa Cambutal, absolutely recommend it.

Fished the rivermouth a few times with my son, but by all accounts I was a fool not to get on a panga.

Steve

OFischer

Apr 18, 2010
Fort Myers,Fl USA
Name
Ozzie
Boat
24 Century Bay Boat
Thanks for recommendation. Is there much to do if not fishing. Also can you fish off kayaks and does any one rent boats. How was weather in July. I guide in south fl. So I understand rainy seasons here. But not sure how it would apply to Panama

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
Thanks for the post. :)

PCH

El Nino 2015!!!!!!
Jul 14, 2008
North San Diego
Name
Paul
Boat
Gregor 20
Thanks for recommendation. Is there much to do if not fishing. Also can you fish off kayaks and does any one rent boats. How was weather in July. I guide in south fl. So I understand rainy seasons here. But not sure how it would apply to Panama
When your not fishing, there isn't too much to do but there are beaches for surfing and relaxing. Ron at Los Buzos resort may have a kayak. He's got really nice rods and reel you can rent as well fyi. You can rent Pangas once at Cambutal. Go to Nubias (restaurant) and ask for a captain. Should not be too hard to get one and should cost 60-100 bucks a day plus gas and tip. Rainy season could rain all weak, not at all, or more likely off and on a little.