Camalu White Sea Bass

Discussion in 'Baja Mexico Fishing Reports and Discussion' started by Cubeye, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Cubeye

Cubeye I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    Went down to the Colonet -San Quintin area to do some surf fishing, and stopped by Yoshy's Tackle shop in Camalu to visit. He proceeds to tell me about how good the WSB fishing is and how close it is from the launch area.

The bite has been going on for a month now and still looks good, but you know about WSB right? On one day, his boat(s) landed A LOT while commercial fishing. On Sunday, August 4th, one of his charters landed 5, lost two in the kelp. He talks me into going with him and his crew to fish them, since he had no charter on Monday. I agree..................Three WSB 22#, 26#, 45#. One lost in the kelp.

If you find the birds, you will find the bait balls, you find the mackerel, you find the WSB.

If you're interested, give Memo a call at Yoshy's Tackle in Camalu. He's very accommodating and speaks very good English.

Susana, twotrack, BajaGringo and 9 others like this.
  2. BornFisher

BornFisher Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Bill Fisher
    Boat:
    18' Bayliner Trophy, cuddy
    Great report thanks. Would you have a number for the shop? Thanks

3. Tiagosahn

Tiagosahn Newbie

Name:
    Tiagosahn
    Boat:
    25' Hydrasport
    That’s my boy Memo! Been fishing with him since 2015. Slide the panga down the rocks, get on panga in the surf! Best kept secret Camalu be....

We caught a 47# and 54#.

Don’t go rock fishing though, you will catch your limit in a minute!

Memo. +52 1 616 159 1587

Attached Files:

4. Deepsea Warrant

Deepsea Warrant No Status Required

Name:
    Ray
    Boat:
    None
    Those are some brutes.

5. Cubeye

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    If you go, bring heavy line. 50# minimum. I think they were using 80# with Krocodile Spoons.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  6. BajaGringo

BajaGringo Say what???

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    Dos Amigos
    I don't personally know Memo but a couple of other friends also recommend him. I recently heard that he moved his fish tackle shop business to his home where he is operating out of now.

If you don't know how to get there, my close buddies up in Camalu tell me that to get to his place you take the dirt road west off the transpeninsular that leads out to the hotel "la Cueva del Pirata". His place is on a side street off that road out about 3 blocks down on the right side. Get in the general area and ask - everybody there knows him.

Leslie. Christensen and Cubeye like this.
  7. Tiagosahn

Tiagosahn Newbie

Name:
    Tiagosahn
    Boat:
    25' Hydrasport
    For WSB, what he does is looks for the birds, usually a few miles up north of launch, find the birds, thus finds the bait, mackerel, catch a mackerel with a small crocodile jig, hook that same mackerel with the same crocodile placing the treble hook straight into the mouth, then flyline and wait for the scream.....

Cubeye and BajaGringo like this.
  8. Bottom Line

Bottom Line Village idiot

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Invader CC - Bottom Line
    The launch ramp at Camalu...

9. BajaGringo

BajaGringo Say what???

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    Dos Amigos
    Great video - a bit further south down here at La Chorera some of them lay roller logs down in the rock to help minimize the damage but just about every panga owner down here has a good fiberglass man on his crew. I have seen several such pangas with over 30 years of heavy use still in service here. We have one that is nearly 35 years old still working with our diving crew daily out at San Martin Island...

10. Cubeye

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    Yes, your post is correct. Turn towards the beach at the signal. There's only one in town . Proceed West until you see a "half round" or quonset hut or arch roof building. Turn right and you will see Yoshy Tackle on the left.

BajaGringo likes this.
  11. Cubeye

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    Is this at the Hotel la Cueva del Pirata?

12. Cubeye

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    Yes. "Dead Sticking" and cast and retrieve a jig also worked.

BajaGringo likes this.
  13. Bottom Line

Bottom Line Village idiot

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Invader CC - Bottom Line
    20190219_095549.jpg
    Yes it is. The hotel is on the bluff overlooking the launch ramp.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  14. tuna sniffer

tuna sniffer SD '63

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    1 tin 1 glass
    Memo’s a great guy. The operation is as bare bones as it gets. The pangas are commercial types with four or so benches, not the super pangas you find in the sport fishing areas. These guys fish commercial at least 50% of the time. If you go, definitely bring a cooler or fish bag for the boat, as they usually just leave the fish on the deck and splash water on them until they get back to shore.

Cubeye and BajaGringo like this.
  15. Cubeye

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    Is this the number you dial from the US?
    Isn't there a International Code that has to be dialed first?
    The (+) sign is equal to (0)?

16. twotrack

twotrack habitual scopolamine abuser

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Sin Barco
    As of August 9, Mexico no longer uses the in-country long distance ("1") requirement.
    For us visitors, it's now just +52 (XXX) XXX-XXXX.
    Maybe a good time to edit this in your Contacts list.

BajaGringo and Bottom Line like this.
  17. Tiagosahn

Tiagosahn Newbie

Name:
    Tiagosahn
    Boat:
    25' Hydrasport
    I call him at 0115216161591587, 011 Exit US code, 52 access Mexico, 1 to call a mobile line, area code, then personal number

Let him know Santiago shared you his contact info you might get a discount

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    Cubeye likes this.
  18. greenscales

greenscales Newbie

Name:
    Richard
    Boat:
    Pro Angler 14
    Wondering about this launch in Camalu. Is it public access and calm enough to launch/land my Hobie PA14? I know a lot off panga launches have too much surf for us kayakers to punch through comfortably or risk flipping on the way in. I like the town (has truck worked on by a little cal) and know the WSB bite is off the hook. I plan to hit up Santo Tomas (if weather is real good - pedal the 7 miles to the 33) and Punta Baja in the next week solo. Would love a new spot to explore, camp a night, and fish for a day on the way down. My other option is BOLA if the Pacific gets nasty for a few days while down and the air temp in the Cortez dips at the same time.
    Will take any recommendations from you guys who know the area well w/safety my biggest priority camping solo. I know I have it at PST & Punta Baja - but making friends (despite the language barrier) and exploring new waters is half the fun.

19. BajaGringo

BajaGringo Say what???

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    Dos Amigos
    Not easy. I actually do a weather report for the San Quintin Valley daily and this coastal area is tough for oceanfront launches with very few exceptions. The problem we have here is the combination of wind and surf which makes it difficult for most except the most seasoned commercial fishermen here who schedule their launches based on the tides, wind and surf.

I love your attitude as it closely reflects my own but just don't want to see you put yourself into a position where you could get yourself into trouble. We've spent over a dozen years here at La Chorera and I have seen many, many kayaks try and fail to launch here. Can only recall a few that were able and then on only very calm, no wind days - something we don't see often here.

One area that comes to mind down here where you could launch on most days would be about a half hour south of Camalu off the spit that encloses the San Quintin Bay. That beach that extends west from Cielito Lindo is largely protected from the worst of the wind and surf and if you take off from the western point you could paddle out to some good action there and still be fairly protected by Punta Morro.

Good luck and be sure to post some photos if you go...

SQ Bay Point Launch.png

20. greenscales

greenscales Newbie

Name:
    Richard
    Boat:
    Pro Angler 14
    Thanks for that info Baja Gringo. Didn’t know I could drive all the way out on the spit. Will check it out next trip down - at least to assess. Do I need the biosphere permit for around San Q?

I believe El Socorro can work w/proper conditions. But Punta Baja has caused me enough issues dodging rocks when I land and try to beat those perfect tubes (albeit just 1’) that come straight across that bay. Would prefer Cortez if I wouldn’t melt. Heat stroke in a yak probably wouldn’t be so good.