CalStar Lineup Help

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by wburdge, Jan 12, 2019.

1. wburdge

wburdge Newbie

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    Whitecap--Eastbay 38'
    Hey folks,

Need a little help with choosing a CalStar quiver for 2019. They seem to have several model lineups: the West Coast series, black West coast series, grafighter, and gg composite. I can't find a product description differentiating each lineup. What's the difference between them?

Here's what I'm looking for: surface iron jig stick (10'), a yo yo stick (about 7ish feet), 30lb bait stick (7-8ish feet) 50lb bait stick (7-8ish feet), and an 80lb multipurpose rod.

If you have any recommendations of specific models or opinions please share. I'd love the input! Thanks!

2. InDeepShip

InDeepShip Ah ship

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    In my Dream's
    for 30# bait go with a 700M

3. wburdge

wburdge Newbie

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    Whitecap--Eastbay 38'
    Awesome! Will check it out. Thank you!

4. sandslingerxxx

sandslingerxxx Newbie

Name:
    Sam
    Boat:
    N/A
    Come to Island Tackle if you get a chance. We carry a good inventory of Calstar products and can show you some differences.

mindbent, ripped and SouthBayKiller like this.
  5. fishe

fishe Member

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    none
    West Coast Series
    [​IMG]

Tan fiberglass rod blank with a teal base wrap and a black top wrap. West Coast Series Rods are ideal for anglers seeking traditional performance, durability and quality at an affordable price.
    Black West Coast Series
    Black fiberglass rod blank with a teal base wrap with black wraps over the guide. The Black West Coast Series Rod is a high performance Fiberglass Rod that sets the standard for anglers worldwide.
    Grafighter Series
    [​IMG]

Our state of the art Graphite. Gray/Black composite rod blank with white, teal and black wraps. Graphite and fiberglass from butt to tip. Grafighters are state of the art fishing rods, built with a level of strength, durability and performance unmatched! These rods are light in weight, yet provide a strong recoil for landing the biggest ones! Definitely unmatched!

6. T.O.T.W.

T.O.T.W. Time On The Water

Name:
    Chris L
    Boat:
    Leo's
    Fishe shared the breakdown above. To add to that the GG rods are glass over graphite. I really like the GG6480. The GGs have more of a forgiving, glass rod feel, but are much lighter. While I like it for 40, it would be a good 30lb rod, too.
    For 10’, I just got a 100mag, but still need to get it wrapped. It gets great reviews. Really your only other choice here is a standard 100J.
    Depending on what length you like for 80lb, consider the 775XH or the 770XH. I really like the 775, but I’m tall and use the rail. It’s not a troller...
    50lb bait: 800XH
    Yo-yo: tons of choices. Most would recommend the 700XH, the 610H is another option if you can find one.

Let em eat 74 likes this.
  7. mike mitchell

mike mitchell Member

Name:
    Michael Mitchell
    Boat:
    20 Bertram
    Before you buy the rod match up the reel. Can you get away with deckhand style or do you need a reel seat. If you need a seat be sure that it fits you, unless you are going custom. Good Luck!

8. fishordie

fishordie I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jamie
    Boat:
    2013 Ranger Z521 with 250 Merc.: Now deceased.. Thank goodness
    Hi Bill,

The rod choices are going to depend on your targeted species and what kind of platform you are fishing from... You can always come see us at Bob Sands Tackle to compare all the rods from most every manufacturer including the Calstar rods you are discussing.. Choosing a rod is also highly personal.. With the variations in weight, flex patterns, materials, reel seat or deckhand models, what feels great to one person will feel all together different to another angler. You are welcome to PM me and I will provide you my phone number to discuss if you are interested.
    Have a great season and best of luck on your choices.

STAY TUNED, AS I AM ABOUT TO POST A HUGE ROD AND REEL SALE GOING ON AT BOB SANDS TACKLE FOR BLOODY DECKS MEMBERS.. CALSTAR, UNITED COMPOSITES, GRAPHTECH AND SO MANY MORE.. ALL OF OUR RODS WILL BE ON HUGE DISCOUNT. STAY TUNED.

Jamie

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    Salty Bones and tugasangler like this.
  9. titan05

titan05 Pelagic Terminator

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Chelsea Rae
    Just a thought
    If you want to keep it to a minimum
    GG90J for a jig stick....works great and a foot easier to transport :)
    For a bait / yoyo stick.....the Glass 610 or 610H is one of the best 7ft glass rods ever made....I have fished bait/ yoyo jigged and thrown jigs with it as it was the original wahoo killer.
    Getting harder to find but if you do you won't regret it one bit
    Sometimes less is more ;)

10. lkatdpelicanfly

lkatdpelicanfly Lizard Fish Slayer

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    Kayak
    I like the graphiter 700h for yoyo, never tried a 610 but will definately try if i happen to,come across a blank or used rod. I love the 700m for bait...on my first 10 day years ago I borrowed a friends 700m for the trip and caught 3 wahoo on it fishing 40 lb and wire fishing bait and it handled them just fine...30-40 lb class fish. I later found one from some guy at a garage sale for $25...had a feeling thats what it was, then took the butt cap off at home and was stoked to see the green calstar label with 700m written on it.

mackereljoe likes this.
  11. Paulo Grandez

Paulo Grandez Member

Name:
    Paulo
    Boat:
    N/A
    You don't need a dedicated yoyo rod, you can use the GG 6480 for 40lb and yoyo and 700h for 50lb and yoyo

12. WANADUNE

WANADUNE Newbie

Name:
    jeremy
    Boat:
    19 ft Mako La Rana IV
    I’m glad you asked the question because I was thinking about getting a Calstar rod for a jig stick. Was thinking a 800h but was not sure how it fished a jig.