Calstar 770XH

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by GotMojo, Jul 23, 2014.

1. GotMojo

GotMojo Newbie

Anyone fish 80# on one of these? I bought it for 100#, now I'm thinking about using it for 80#.

2. Texastuna

Texastuna Texastuna

Name:
    Jesse baker
    Boat:
    Dolphin Express
    Xh is a little lite for #100

3. TEAMFISH

TEAMFISH JUST ADD WATER

Name:
    DAVE
    Boat:
    25' Skipjack Fisherman
    Better suited for 80# XXH would be a better choice

4. GotMojo

GotMojo Newbie

Good, I'll fish 80# on my XH, 100 on my XXH and 130 on the XXXH.

Thanks much!

Gabe L. and TEAMFISH like this.
  5. hagridfish

hagridfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    None
    I have and use all 3 that you have mentioned. They are great rods. Just make sure you use a LARGE hook on the tripleX. It is so powerful, I have pulled smaller hooks out with it. (7/0, 8/0 eagle claws) Now, I only use the XXX on 18/0 or larger hooks, and Salami's. JMHO

6. jbs49

jbs49 Newbie

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    I have the 770XXH which I fish 130# with and IMO is an excellent rod for 130# has all the backbone and lift I can pull with fishing 35#drag. I have a couple over 2 on it and couldn't think about using anything heaver for 130#. I also fish a 775 XH and the same as above great rod for 130# Having a 775H being built for fishing 100#, replacing my 700XH which I will dedicate to 80#, caught a bunch of bigger models on it using 100#. Looks lite, but really works well for 80 -100#. I have always matched my rod to the line# class to be able to pull to the hilt, with just a little more there if needed, that way I know how hard I can pull without worry. Fishing to heavy of a rod for the line class will have a lot more pulled hooks and brake off, just not as forgiving IMO

7. Texastuna

Texastuna Texastuna

Name:
    Jesse baker
    Boat:
    Dolphin Express
    This year on my 15 day trip I used 665xh 8.5 ft with a proto 12w Cal Sheets built #100 many fish between #100 and # 190 it's all about having a good time.

8. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Jesse, what is an 8'6" 665XH?

It's interesting how we all view the capabilities of the 770 series. Personal preference and perception of what they should be used with; reels, topshots, and drag settings. Fishing a 100 lb topshot of only 20 ' of Seaguar Premier, I felt like the 770XXH I was using was bottomed out, not recoiling very well and not lifting the fish. Never saw it as I got burned off by someone, but I'd say it was less than 200. I'm not super strong and can't pull all that hard. Just like using the rail and getting them in as soon as possible.

9. GotMojo

GotMojo Newbie

I have 2 Okuma Mak 20 SEa's both spooled with 100# hollow stepped up to 130#. One will go on my 770XH for 80#, the other on my XXH for 100#. I also have a XXXH that I want to fish 130# on. Should I get a MAK 30 or 50 for it?

10. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid

IMO get the Mak 50SEa for the 770xxxh……big fish killer outfit.

11. Texastuna

Texastuna Texastuna

Name:
    Jesse baker
    Boat:
    Dolphin Express
    Steve that blank is a 670 xh but Calstar made some
    Long blanks 8.6 long all glass.Great rod but little
    more work.I can get bait out there even on #100.

12. GotMojo

GotMojo Newbie

What would you spool the 50 with? A lot of folks are using Seaguar Threadlock.

13. jbs49

jbs49 Newbie

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    I have three trip using Threadlock 80#, 100# and 130# really like it, no issues, small dia, smooth , seemed a little tighter and took a little getting use too for inserting, but really fishes nice. Took doing a few inserts to get the feel of it, but now no problem, nice stuff to work with. I have topped off all my reels with it, was using Izor before and had no issues, but IMO Threadlock is a step above.

14. Steve K

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    There's a 30 vs 50 thread on the next page. I'd grab the 30 and then when you book Your 14-15+ day trip, you're going to want a 50 to fish 200 lb spectra and 150 lb+ topshots with Salamis. Trip is 11/2-12, correct?

15. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    Ste
    Steve why get a 30????it is just a wide 20…..the 50 is the reel I use at night, gray light and sunset with big baits and heavy leader……1:1 low gear….it is the big gun that he may want or need. JMO

I spool up my 50 with 130# JB spectra.

dh515 likes this.
  16. ReelDealAngler

ReelDealAngler Born To Fish

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    The 30 is a wide design and for some that means more wobble to control on the heavy load crank, and its harder to level line across the wider spool on the fast crank. The 50 narrow in 1 to 1 makes more sense in my way of thinking for that "big bait"/heavier line application... and who really needs hundreds of yards of 200lb Spectra on their cow reel?... most on here cannot even break 60lb string on a straight pull using a bending rail rod and reel to pull with (both my 50's are filled with 130lb solid... plenty of line, even for the kite application IMHO). For 150lb leader insertion use a 10-20 foot step up section of 200lb hollow Spectra if you need too for easier insertion of the heavier 150lb/200lb fluoro or copolymer leader or top shot. For hollow main line do an inline splice of the 200lb hollow (100% connection if done properly), for solid main line: double it up and pull it 5 feet up the hollow and then tie a lose overhand knot and slide it down to where the solid enters into the hollow pull tight and add a drop of glue or use the dual nail knot (1/2'' apart) with the doubled solid running 5' into the hollow with a drop of glue applied between the two nail knots, and last but certainly not least learn to tie a Sebile knot (not that complicated and no tools needed) which is very low profile (even in the larger diameters) and very strong when tied properly.

Tight lines and blue skies!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
    dh515 likes this.
  17. Steve K

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    30/50 personal preference. When I mentioned using 200 lb hollow and 150 lb topshots, I didn't mean to infer anybody should fill a 50 with 200 lb. Friend of mine, Okuma Pro Staff will probably agree, and agree on the suggestion to get the 30 instead of the 50.

Truth is, based on my observations of this year's downright hot water, the OP will probably not encounter any big tuna on his trip. Here's my prediction: First cow on the Lower Banks won't bite until after Thanksgiving. If there are any caught at all. Time will tell.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  18. ReelDealAngler

ReelDealAngler Born To Fish

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    Okuma 30 or 50 is indeed a personal preference when spooling up with 130lb main line. IMO a lot here depends on the size, health, and mastered fighting technique of the specific angler using the equipment... stronger and larger arms, hands and fingers tend to deal with the heavier and taller 50 reel a bit better. The 30 wide is lighter in weight which means a lot to some anglers (especially the smaller stature guys or the elder anglers spending long hours at the rail before the hookup, the 30 wide has a smaller spool diameter (so a lower profile too), but obviously its wider, it also has at least 100 yards less of line capacity when strung with 130lb string to the same degree of tension which can become a factor on those mean jumbo models. IMO, the 50 narrow is a more versatile reel than the wide 30, the 50 narrow can also be used more effectively for the larger cow size yo/yo jig application (the taller/narrow spool is just simply easier too steady and too level line on during the fast grind up, and the taller/narrow spool means more IPT when your cow jig grinding starts at depth), the newer 50's with upgraded free spool will actually cast a larger live bait better than the wide 30 (less spool to span for outgoing cross spooled line)... important if you are trying to get that live bait further away from the boat on the initial cast (all this taking into consideration of course that we are talking big game lever drags here which in general were not designed for casting distance, but as of late there have been great strides and several new enhancements made to these big game reels to aid the angler in that larger live bait casting application especially when coupled with the 7 to 7'6" longer rail rods being offered today)... I think most here will agree that in general: narrow spool reels will always cast easier and farther than their wider versions (depending on spool weight of course).

Tight lines and blue skies!

dh515 likes this.
  19. GotMojo

GotMojo Newbie

I just ordered a Mak 50 narrow, how do I know if I'm getting the one with the upgraded free spool?

20. migelito

migelito Member

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Indy
    Get the 770 xxh for 100#
    I would even use the xxh for 80
    Sea is the upgraded freespool w/open bearings and lower gearing
    30 if you plan on fishing mainly #100 on it, but it will do 130 no problem(sardine makeral)
    50 if your fishing #130+ (skippies man bait)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
    Bill W likes this.