spoon man

It’s all smoke and mirrors
Jul 20, 2012
Olympia, wa
Name
Mike
Boat
22' Alumaweld
So I have a Traeger pro 34 Bronze, aka... giant pile of shit! I’ve had it just over two years and it has let me down multiple times. 2 control boards, 1 auger motor, 1 fan, and the countless error codes that magically go away?! It also has never gone above 405 deg since I’ve owned it. I’ve spoke with customer service countless times and while they are nice they are fucking clueless and hard to understand. So basically I have all new parts on it but it still will not go above 400?!?! Any tips before this thing goes to the land fill?!?!

Reactions: Second Row

Line '79

Still Livin'
May 18, 2012
Skagit LIFER!
Name
Officer Doofy
Boat
Holding Air
I’m not familiar with traeger, but my buddies pit boss was doing the same thing. He bought all new parts for it and we installed them. It worked ok but kept throwing error codes also.

Turned out he never thoroughly cleaned it properly and ash was clogging the air tube that goes from the fan to the firebox. He also ran wet pellets through it, causing the auger to bind up.

If all else fails and you want to get rid of it I’d be glad to take it off your hands.

marlyn

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 18, 2005
oak hills
Name
mark
Boat
21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
I keep thinking of getting one for ease of use but i keep hearing these stories,Guess ill keep my old drum smoker.

Reactions: Calis

dragonballs

I'm off probation
Mar 28, 2008
Arlington WA
Name
Vance
Boat
40' ocean sport fisher
This is awesome. Sear burner.
2DBE9BEF-6EB5-4D05-A72C-8648BF2C3998.png

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
San Fernando Valley
Name
Mike
Boat
19"Gregor
For what traeger charges you'd think it would work and be trouble free .

Reactions: marlyn

redsnapper517

May 20, 2009
Huntington Beach, CA
Name
Greg
Boat
Royal Polaris
I have a Pro 780 Love It Never had a problem at all... temp goes up to 450 + .
Sorry your having issues . that sucks .
Mine is the new version with Wifi and D2 controller

Reactions: Motofish

Slater

cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day
Jun 1, 2006
Lakeside
Name
Rob
Boat
sold! / cattle boat
Were you lucky enough to have purchased it at Costco????
take it back & start over!
Like red snapper said the 780 Pro is nice but lots of great pellet smokers out that cost less than Traeger & are just as good & better for less money.
Some Traegers from costco "built for costco" have been problematic, read reviews on costco website if it truely was bought there.....
Ive got a cheaper PittBoss Pro 1100 & has been great.
GMG makes a good product, im not a fan of the appearance of a rectec but people claim theres no better....

Reactions: blades and Line '79

Castlepadre

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 28, 2020
Costa Mesa
Name
Mateo
Boat
WorldCat
The lower end Traeger's never get much beyond 400 degrees. Mine doesn't and nobody I know has one that does. It is a great smoker and low and slow cooker and good for poultry and fish. For steak, burgers etc which need high heat I often use the Traeger to impart flavor then use my gas Weber to char it. Best combo I have found.

Elkfins

Ungrateful Prick
Aug 8, 2008
Tacoma, WA
Name
Steve
Boat
"Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
How often do you clean it? I have 2. have replaced the control board in one but other than that, no issues...except for when it get's excessively dirty and clogged with ash. I vacuum the ash and grime from it every 4 or 5 uses... depending on what I've cooked and how long it's been running for each cook.

And if all else fails, I have a Yoder I'll sell you.

Reactions: Line '79

slab tech 1

Works overrated- lets go fishing
Apr 1, 2011
Ferndale
Name
Eric
Boat
Parker 2520 XL
Bought my traeger at Costco about 6 months ago and it has been awesome! So awesome I’m almost getting tired of meat! Hopefully it stays working, but if not, Costco...

Reactions: esgeo

spoon man

Jul 20, 2012
Olympia, wa
Name
Mike
Boat
22' Alumaweld
How often do you clean it? I have 2. have replaced the control board in one but other than that, no issues...except for when it get's excessively dirty and clogged with ash. I vacuum the ash and grime from it every 4 or 5 uses... depending on what I've cooked and how long it's been running for each cook.

And if all else fails, I have a Yoder I'll sell you.

I clean it regularly(at least every 10 times of use) even clean out the air tube and auger tube as well. I have never ran anything but dry Traeger pellets in it. It is covered all the time as well. The thing is it’s never gone above 406 from the day it was new. It gone tits up two times during a long cook. Some things I cook for hours and hours.

spoon man

Jul 20, 2012
Olympia, wa
Name
Mike
Boat
22' Alumaweld
Just did a live stream video with traeger( that was really enjoyable). They saw that it was clean, good pellets, new auger motor was working properly after install, fan working. So he really had no opinion on what’s going on so he said the only thing we haven’t switched out on it is the temp probe. Maybe it’ll take 9 weeks to get that like it did for the new auger motor? Summer number two down the drain without the Traeger?!?!

tuner

pysgotwyr
May 24, 2006
Huntington Beach
Name
Steve
Boat
260 Mackinaw
I've had the same Traeger for over 5 years, 430-440*F is about the max "empty" without any wind and 68-70* air temps. Add some meat and wind, the temps drop to 350-375*F.

I use mine like Castlepadre does (except with charcoal), not for searing.

reelbadlarry

Jun 25, 2005
socal
Name
Larry
Boat
23ft parker, reel bad
I thru my 34 controller in a box and got a Savana Stoker controller....it keeps within like 5 degrees of the temp set....that was 2 yrs ago I think....no issues at all since then.

reelbadlarry

Jun 25, 2005
socal
Name
Larry
Boat
23ft parker, reel bad

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
maple valley, wa
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
If you want over 400°, use fire. I use my Traeger for idiot-proof smoking, rarely above 285°. After that, it’s the BGE or Weber propane grill. Rarely use propane anymore too.

spoon man

Jul 20, 2012
Olympia, wa
Name
Mike
Boat
22' Alumaweld
I hear ya Laurence. It’s just a little frustrating all the issues I’ve had with this thing outside of not being able to come within 50-60 deg of advertised temp. It’s a rarity that I need it at or above 400 but when I do it would be nice. I normally use it to smoke, I make shit loads of beef, elk, and bear jerky on it and the occasional pork shoulder that obviously takes the better part of a day. The temp swings are crazy as well. Let’s say I set it at 350, it’ll drop all the way down to 275 and then heat back up and drop back again. Sitting here now with it set on high(450) and it won’t go above 340ish.

reelbadlarry

Jun 25, 2005
socal
Name
Larry
Boat
23ft parker, reel bad
My Son in law had the same issues....went thru 3 controllers thru traeger...finally sold it and bought a bigger louisianna grille..much better... I got mine cheap so I spent the money on the stoker...it is pretty amazing how steady it stays....I don't do a lot of hot cooking so I don't know how high mine will go, but these things are like boats...you can keep spending if you want too.....upgraded augers, burn pots..igniters...it never ends...I got the controller, the pellet flaps so they don't chimney on me in the hopper and I'm done....works for what I need it for... fish, tri tip, brisket and ribs... and of course...awesome whole chickens...
Good luck sir.... the 200 might be worth your sanity....

Motofish

Keep it tight!
Sep 26, 2011
Inland empire ca
Name
Anthony
Boat
Sold
This thread reminded me I need to clean my traeger timberline 1300. Love that thing.

btw... anyone got a good recipe for some smoked mahi mahi? Thanks

reelbadlarry

Jun 25, 2005
socal
Name
Larry
Boat
23ft parker, reel bad
I did bonito in just good ole Alton Brown dry rub with water...let it marinate overnight and threw it straight on the smoker...175 for 3 hrs....was pretty damn tasty....

Rick U

Oct 22, 2004
LA
Name
Rick
Boat
Montauk
I had one of the Costco models and replaced lots of parts before finally giving up. I figured I’d try to return it to Costco and if that didn’t work, take it to the dump. The lady at Costco was quick to say just roll it over here and started counting out money. She said they have returned almost all of them. The concept is great and I loved it when it worked. If I ever get another pellet smoker it won’t be a trager and I will only buy from Costco.

CommanderX

Dec 27, 2008
Washington
Name
Doug
Boat
Glasply project
We got one from an Amazon black Friday deal a couple years ago. $450 for a smaller one and have no issues. I clean it every 5 uses. The only thing I don't like about it is the amount of ash that lands on the food cleaned or not.

Gadget

Mar 17, 2020
Oregon
Name
Del
Boat
Koffler
Memphis wood pellet grills will do it all 180°-650° have had mine 5 years no issues but are more expensive