Scold

Yes, that's my back.
Dec 1, 2009
San Jose, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
N/A :(
And throwing this out there to those who are willing to sacrifice jigs to get, what they believe, are more bites from wahoo are also at the same time causing a bunch of fish to swim around with irons or bombs stuck in their faces and that there’s a pretty good likelihood you killed that fish for no reason. Seems like a pretty fucked up of a way to approach fishing for a fish we supposedly love.

Directly from the Bruce Smith article:
“Wahoo are known for their sharp dentures, and all it takes is just a nip to turn your 50-pound mono into a weightless, jig-less, wisp in the wind. Yep. That is a fact. You will lose (what sometimes can become a substantial number of) jigs fishing without wire. But compared to the number of bites received and fish landed, the rising cost of Raiders and 6x Jrs., is reasonably defrayed. Tie your mono straight to your jig. Once you lose enough jigs or you are running out of them, then wire the rest of them up.”

Reactions: Mangisda
Upvote 0

afraser

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
And throwing this out there to those who are willing to sacrifice jigs to get, what they believe, are more bites from wahoo are also at the same time causing a bunch of fish to swim around with irons or bombs stuck in their faces and that there’s a pretty good likelihood you killed that fish for no reason. Seems like a pretty fucked up of a way to approach fishing for a fish we supposedly love.

Directly from the Bruce Smith article:
“Wahoo are known for their sharp dentures, and all it takes is just a nip to turn your 50-pound mono into a weightless, jig-less, wisp in the wind. Yep. That is a fact. You will lose (what sometimes can become a substantial number of) jigs fishing without wire. But compared to the number of bites received and fish landed, the rising cost of Raiders and 6x Jrs., is reasonably defrayed. Tie your mono straight to your jig. Once you lose enough jigs or you are running out of them, then wire the rest of them up.”
I don't think it bothers the fish as much as we think. Last trip I watched a yellowtail get landed that had a lure in its face from the same stop.

Upvote 0

Scold

Yes, that's my back.
Dec 1, 2009
San Jose, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
N/A :(
I don't think it bothers the fish as much as we think. Last trip I watched a yellowtail get landed that had a lure in its face from the same stop.
I would imagine that is the exception rather than the rule. Especially if you consider that a lot of the times the iron/bomb will be in the fish’s mouth/throat. They’re gonna have a difficult time eating. I’m obviously no PETA member and have no issue killing fish. I just think it’s distasteful to adopt a method of fishing that is, at absolute best, marginally better (still up for debate) that undoubtedly causes a lot of fish to have to try to survive with a lure in its mouth.

From the same Bruce smith article. If this iron was rigged with mono, that fish would have for sure bit through it and would have died a pretty slow death.

bruce_wahoomouth.jpg

Upvote 0

afraser

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
I would imagine that is the exception rather than the rule. Especially if you consider that a lot of the times the iron/bomb will be in the fish’s mouth/throat. They’re gonna have a difficult time eating. I’m obviously no PETA member and have no issue killing fish. I just think it’s distasteful to adopt a method of fishing that is, at absolute best, marginally better (still up for debate) that undoubtedly causes a lot of fish to have to try to survive with a lure in its mouth.

From the same Bruce smith article. If this iron was rigged with mono, that fish would have for sure bit through it and would have died a pretty slow death.

bruce_wahoomouth.jpg
If the fish swallows the lure, you are undoubtedly correct. For wahoo though, they tend to strike the lure from the side, usually in the middle but often just the head or the tail. I'd say less than 10% of the bites are when the wahoo swallows the whole lure. That might even be too high of a percentage. Maybe with very small bombs it could be an issue, but mostly I see the fish hooked on the outside of the jaw (an indicator of attacking from the side of the lure), not inside their mouth. Also, all the underwater video I have show the wahoo hitting the trolled lures on the side too.

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Alot of straight tied jigs are lost on the sink. Gone slack line. Snip

Good advice for most and general public

Wind the fk out of the jig. The wahoo instinct is to bite in half. Wind super fast 8/10 times the fish will get the lower end of the jig. Imo

Upvote 0