kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Unfortunately when they arrive in Japan to "spawn" they are decimated by a fishery and country that refuses to place limits or quotas on the take. It is motivated by greed, and has no concern for the resource. Limiting sport caught fish is only putting more money in their pockets.
    Japan has no mercy on anything that swims in the ocean, Inc whales for research if you buy that. Japan long liners have been caught in the sea of cortez many times for Illegal long lining and a vast majority of their fleet paid off the PESCA.

Upvote 0

Mcgyver

Catcher of fish, releaser of few!
    Nov 23, 2005
    San Diego
    www.calcofi.org
    Name
    David Mcgyver
    Boat
    17.5' Seafair Sedan, Sea Hag
    You got my 55 lbs BFT carcass and my full support. Fish populations have to be managed at this point or they will be exhausted which is unthinkable with such a renewable resource. Keep up the good work!

Reactions: pascuale
    Upvote 0

Gil Marlin

World Peace? Visualize Using Your Turn Indicator
    Nov 27, 2003
    Laguna Percebu Baja Norte
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    19.655' Aluminum
    science.jpg

Reactions: horn toad and esgeo
    Upvote 0

muledeer07

Almost A Member
    Jun 30, 2008
    USA
    Name
    Wade
    Boat
    None
    Japan has no mercy on anything that swims in the ocean, Inc whales for research if you buy that. Japan long liners have been caught in the sea of cortez many times for Illegal long lining and a vast majority of their fleet paid off the PESCA.
    All the amazing research our scientists and biologists are doing for our migratory game fish is devastated by countries that have no quota no limits. Kill as much as they can make as much as they can as quick as they can. I still applaud the work your doing with the Bluefin and an excellent read. Never knew a 168lb Bluefin was a juvenile not capable of spawning.

Upvote 0

fishsmith

Captain
    May 16, 2008
    murrieta/ca/usa
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    21' Proline "MarLinz"
    Awesome info and catch!

"The highest form of ignorance, is to deny that with which you have no knowledge of"
    -a bumper sticker in Laughlin, Nevada-

Upvote 0

Billy V

Seabass Commando
    Aug 26, 2007
    San Diego
    Name
    Billy
    Boat
    Parker 2310 DV / Kayak
    I hope to catch you a 500 lber. tomorrow -
    Oh wait, I'm living in Cali now, not Jersey so it'll only be around 200.
    Is that Ok?
    Thanks Owyn

Reactions: DOS BALLENAS
    Upvote 0

homie 101

EAST L.A.
    Name
    Burrito Loco
    Boat
    Sold
    NOAA is not a friend of fisherman in any way, shape, or form. They have consistently shown they are NOT on our side -- that they are against us. And they may be gathering data for science, but they have consistently restricted fishing far beyond what is necessary with no scientific basis. If you read into what they've done with the East coast's red snapper regulations, your blood would boil. And didn't they come completely out of the blue with an 80% reduction in the BFT limits just a year or two ago?

Why on God's green Earth would we give them a damn thing, when all they want to do is keep us off the water? Screw NOAA.

Besides that, awesome job on those gorgeous fish!
    I agree.dont give them a damn thing.

Upvote 0

DOS BALLENAS

bisque is better
    Nov 25, 2005
    cardiff
    Name
    owyn
    Boat
    15 ft gregor, dos ballenas dos/ yak, fishstix
    Sorry for the delayed response... been busy chopping into bluefin heads for more otoliths... and planning my trip offshore tomorrow!

Nice fish! Did you go out there in your 15' Gregor?

Negative. In a whaler I was borrowing!

NOAA is not a friend of fisherman in any way, shape, or form. They have consistently shown they are NOT on our side -- that they are against us. And they may be gathering data for science, but they have consistently restricted fishing far beyond what is necessary with no scientific basis. If you read into what they've done with the East coast's red snapper regulations, your blood would boil. And didn't they come completely out of the blue with an 80% reduction in the BFT limits just a year or two ago?

Why on God's green Earth would we give them a damn thing, when all they want to do is keep us off the water? Screw NOAA.

Besides that, awesome job on those gorgeous fish!

When the bluefin you catch are both over 100 lbs I don't think you will be complaining about the 2 fish limit... I sure as hell wasn't and to be honest I did not want to pull on anymore fish after being destroyed by the first two I landed. Plus all the fillets were more than I or MOST can handle. If the limits they put into place (and yes they reduced the quota for the Mexican Purse seine fleet as well) ensure that there are 100 lb fish around then I think we will all be happy

About 30 years ago we caught a short-billed lancetfish fish off of Cardiff and determined the ID with a check with a "Dr. Snodgrass" from Scripps. Are you him or his son or grandson?

His son....

From one fisheries biologist to another, nice work and much appreciated! Many of the hard working NOAA folks are avid fishermen who have a true passion for their work.

There will be some negative comments associated with this thread, which is to be expected. But before you go crucifying our dedicated scientists you need to ask yourself why we're experiencing such a great Bluefin run these past two seasons. The answer: optimal ocean conditions off our coast and better management of this fishery.

So get out there and enjoy it while you can!

We all fish here at NOAA.... we don't work here for peanuts for nothin. And thanks for the reply

Now this is a cool post. Look at all that data!!!!

Very COOL.

Dont give up. Bust out the purple-haze hoochies and flashers from your salmon gear!!!!

What are the dimensions of these otoliths? Hard to tell if this is magnified. Are they big stones like WSB?

They are only 2 cm long and very very fragile... nothing like a cbass stone

Thanks again for all the info.

Were the terns circling and diving? or just kinda "chillin" ?

NOt chilling that's for sure haha. They were "looking" at something and it happened to be big bluefin!

168# immature female? So what size do they mature at?

It's complicated. 50% of the fish mature at around 175 pounds... so every other fish might be mature after they get bigger that 175 pounds.

Unfortunately when they arrive in Japan to "spawn" they are decimated by a fishery and country that refuses to place limits or quotas on the take. It is motivated by greed, and has no concern for the resource. Limiting sport caught fish is only putting more money in their pockets.

Or it's ensuring that we let the 20 lb fish grow up into 200 lb fish.... would you rather keep ten 20 lb fish or catch one 200 lb fish? Do tell.... I for one would be happy catching only one bluefin per YEAR as long as it was a 200 lb bluefin! Don't you agree? The 20 lb fish we catch here are 1 years old.... babies!

but yes there need to be more limits on the other countries that catch these things... and NOAA is the one who is pressuring Japan and other countries to do so. NOAA and all those countries are working together to install new commercial regulations

Reactions: rodngun762
    Upvote 0

Mo Betta

Offshore Prop Changer
    Feb 6, 2003
    El Cajon
    youatplay.com
    Name
    Frank
    Boat
    25' Wellcraft sportsman "Mo Betta", 14' Livingston"Caballito"
    Thanks Owyn! Thank all the guys and gals over at NOAA for protecting the resource. I had no idea that it takes that long for a BFT to mature. I really don't think any of us knew that. Knowledge is key.

Yes, 1 200# BFT would be way more then enough for me.

Frank

Reactions: steelhead88
    Upvote 0

Caseydmaze

Aug 7, 2012
    Temecula
    Name
    Mackerel Marauder
    Boat
    18' Stringari Skiff
    Overfishing has nothing to do with the amount of big tunas in local waters.
    image.png

Downtown San Diego had a cannery row at one point. Now guys are stoked to go south of the border in hopes of catching one fish. This guy's actually doing lab based research to gain info so the decline can slow and recover before it's decimated. I applaud your work, screw the haters.
    Oh and White Sea Bass made a return on there own too, science had nothing to do with it.

Upvote 0

horn toad

jig thrower-baja junkie
    Jul 28, 2005
    encinitas/Bahia de Los Angeles
    Name
    HORN TOAD
    Boat
    21 ft cape horn
    Owyn, thanks for your expertise in trying to further the science and the public's understanding the dynamics of the blue fin fishery. Owyn and the scientists he collaborates with at Southwest Fisheries Science Center (SWFSC) know more about fisheries biology and management than the average person can fathom. They study a multitude of various marine species, but of course, commercially valuable species often take the spotlight, such as blue fin. These people all love fishing, and are ultimately are interested in protecting and sustaining a common resource for the benefit of all. Owyn and his colleagues are smart people, all you have to do is read their journal articles. Just search Owyn on google scholar and you can see his work. Any cooperation given on behalf of the sport and recreational fishing fleets is an investment in the future of a resource that we can all enjoy for generations to come if managed wisely. See you in Baja...

Upvote 0

Huntersmoon

Almost A Member
    Jan 8, 2006
    here
    Name
    nombre
    Boat
    no
    Your post and sharing of information are greatly appreciated and interesting. The point of view from a sportfisherman, is imposing limits on us is not affecting the fishery in the slightest. Our take, as compared to commercial, is not substantial enough to affect populations of a highly pelagic fish. Sport caught fish are not being sold for profit, so the impact is not affecting anyone economically.
    The enemy are companies such as Mitsubishi who are spending BILLIONS to ensure the collapse of the fishery and overfishing of bluefin. All the quotas in the world wont change this until the economic motive is removed.
    Most fishermen understand the value of the resource and take only what they need. There are 200lb fish off our coast now, absolutely not because of limits placed on sportfishermen.

Upvote 0

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
    HB
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    Line up
    NOAA is the only chance our fishery has. Yes the restrictions on areas are a bitch!!! It's a shame I have to go across the border to catch cow cod!?? But just because other countries keep everything. If we did to??? Be worse. Btw how much tuna do you need to eat?? If it's just about that ?? I promise if you took all the money you spend on fishing and just bought fish???? You would have plenty!!!

Upvote 0

DOS BALLENAS

bisque is better
    Nov 25, 2005
    cardiff
    Name
    owyn
    Boat
    15 ft gregor, dos ballenas dos/ yak, fishstix
    Hey guys,

Thank you to those of you that have donated carcasses in the past week! Keep them coming!

Here is a picture of the gonads on a 110 pound female...

Bluefin gonad image for sampling.jpg

If you guys catch any female fish over 100 pounds please try to keep the gonads and heads for me! The gonads are tucked up and run parallel along the spine so they are often cut off or lost when filleting....

thanks again and see you on the water this week!

Owyn

Upvote 0