islandhooker

Fish whisperer
Jun 29, 2007
ca
Name
chris
Boat
Trophy center console
I just picked up a couple of the California flyer co artificial flying fish and they look awesome.
Just trying to get some feedback on them. Can’t find much online about these things.
How well do they work compared to yummee flyers and dead flyers?
how do they hold up against a cow?
Any tips on flying them.
Thank you.

3A740A56-D12F-4B32-8E3F-A4E63ADEF63D.png

islandhooker

Fish whisperer
Jun 29, 2007
ca
Name
chris
Boat
Trophy center console
Yes they used to be called immortal flyers.
the company had to change there name for business reasons.
I don’t think they changed the color of the wings. They look dark in the picture because there are 5 sets wrapped together.

Reactions: aguachico

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
Yeah the video is the same. Wings look grey, which I like better. I wonder how that retaining loop is constructed...?

I will get one, but I feel the tuna will hold onto the dead longer. Just a feeling with no science behind it.

1613018510347.png

tbev

Dec 21, 2017
SoCal
Name
tom
Boat
Skipjack 24
Anyone ever caught anything on one of these? Are you skipping it like a yummy or sending it out with a kite & balloon while drifting? I would buy one to have as a backup in case I run out of dead flyers but $200 bucks is a bit much for me for a for a bait backup bait.
I will say I love the idea if it works, but again bit pricy for me.

Reactions: kevina

islandhooker

Fish whisperer
Jun 29, 2007
ca
Name
chris
Boat
Trophy center console
From what I understand you can skip them or drift them. I was told that they work just as good as a dead flyer from a couple of people. They look very real. So I can see them working.

Reactions: tbev

ghettosled

Aug 18, 2016
Encinitas
Name
A-Salt-Weapon
Boat
Intrepid CC
They work good slow troll or drifting. Best with a kite. Major benefit is if the fish misses or slaps your bait the CA flyer is still fishable and you don’t have to reel it in to see if the bait got damaged like a real flyer. If you’ve ever fished dead flyers you can easily go through 10 in a day! At $25+ a pop a $200 re-useable bait will pay for itself quicker then you can imagine.

Reactions: tbev

Pjstevko

Nov 12, 2015
Three Rivers California
Name
PJ Stevko
Boat
N/A
Yeah. Also retrieval issues...
Yup i just watched the yt video and using this as a floating backpack rig won't work because they way the front hook is set up. If you have to reek this in without a fish on the flyer is gonna want to nose down like a crankbait due to the angle of the leader set-up.....

If you can figure out a way to make the leader come off the nose of the lure in a straight line it might make the lure retrieve without diving down.....

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
Yup i just watched the yt video and using this as a floating backpack rig won't work because they way the front hook is set up. If you have to reek this in without a fish on the flyer is gonna want to nose down like a crankbait due to the angle of the leader set-up.....

If you can figure out a way to make the leader come off the nose of the lure in a straight line it might make the lure retrieve without diving down.....

Yeah, but you can always change the rig for the floater and or add a back pack if it doesn't float.

Will be interesting how it plays out. Also what is the over/under that there will be a cheap Chinese clone this year?

I hope we have the year where the bite is good enough to test them against the dead flyer, side by side.

Got a reply from the company rep. This model does not float, but one is in the works.
I can see myself having one onboard.

Pjstevko

Nov 12, 2015
Three Rivers California
Name
PJ Stevko
Boat
N/A
Yeah, but you can always change the rig for the floater and or add a back pack if it doesn't float.

Will be interesting how it plays out. Also what is the over/under that there will be a cheap Chinese clone this year?

I hope we have the year where the bite is good enough to test them against the dead flyer, side by side.

Got a reply from the company rep. This model does not float, but one is in the works.
I can see myself having one onboard.
You beat me to it, i just got a response as well and headed here to let everyone know...

Seeing as i don't have a boat and only fish out SD once or twice a year it may not make fiscal sense for me to buy one to mess around with to see if i could get it to work without a kite/balloon....but then again it might be cheaper and less time consuming than buying frozen flyers at $30 each and trying to rig up a backpack rig and getting it to stay upright while wasting valuable fishing time....

Reactions: aguachico

PoolMan

7 'dines short of a full scoop
Nov 7, 2005
La Costa
Name
Chuck G
Boat
8' sabot #69
I make a large Flying Fish softbait with wings. It is poured Plastisol just like all the swimbaits. I reinforce them to handle some hits and of course they can re repaired with a lighter. I have only fished it a few times with no takers but that is pretty much the case everytine I try.

Flyer01.jpg

Last edited:

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
SeaVee 340Z
Posted this on another thread and I'm too lazy to type it up again.

I fished the Ca Flyer rubber flyer on one of our last trips last season. Right out of the package the thing smells like petroleum. I walked it around on the kite at 2 kts just like we do with a dead flyer. Result - short boil after short boil. They would come up to crush it and peel off at the last second.

I sped the boat up to 5 kts or so which only allowed for a quick reaction bite and we put 4 fish on in a couple of hours. I couldn't believe the way the fish went apeshit for that rubber fish. Very impressed.

That said, it was just one day and some days they will eat a hot dog, but I'm convinced we will repeat it this year.

There are at least 2 more "fake flyers" coming out this year and I'll be happy to never rig another smelly ass dead one if they work nearly as well.

tbev

Dec 21, 2017
SoCal
Name
tom
Boat
Skipjack 24
Sounds good to me, if @Ali says they work I'll bite. Any other pointers aside from not letting it sit still on a drift? You think it works better than a yummy in that case?
Just ordered mine.

tbev

Dec 21, 2017
SoCal
Name
tom
Boat
Skipjack 24
Looks like stock was just replenished, if you want one grab it now they said they sold out in an hour last time.
FYI there have been a lot of fish caught on them, check out their Instagram feed.

@california_flyer

The link to IG from the website is bad.

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
SeaVee 340Z
Sounds good to me, if @Ali says they work I'll bite. Any other pointers aside from not letting it sit still on a drift? You think it works better than a yummy in that case?
Just ordered mine.

The one time I used it, speed was key. They do smell the bait and at drift I'm sure you'll get bites but also think you'll miss some.

The lure "walks" amazing at 5 kts. I'd walk it around and cover a little ground.

Good luck.

Reactions: tbev and Cubeye

Jeff Hannah

HALIMOTO
Sep 9, 2016
Hb
Name
Jeff
Boat
Play the Red