26grumpy

who hooked who
Sep 24, 2006
Anaheim Hills
Name
Joe
Boat
Freefrom Boats Club
When I turned 50 I drove out to the local foothills solo. Just standing there taking in the view and reflecting on life. A few minutes go by and I look up to see 20 Turkey Vultures circling over me.

Is this some kind of sign I thought? Fucking freaked me out so I jumped in my truck and went home. LOL

Just turned 55 and the vultures haven't got me yet!!!

Carpfisher

Chief Cook & Bottle Washer
Jul 3, 2012
Carpinteria
Name
Paul
Boat
226 Cabo Cuddycon, 16' Bayrunner
Mountain biking the Sisquac once, had six above us.The real Cali Condor deal. Couldn't get my buddy to lay in the road and play dead though.

BiggestT

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
Take that body and at least double it and you have a condor.

We were fishing at Lee's Ferry in Glen Canyon below Lake Powell. Our guide suggested that we check out the condors at sunset from Navajo Bridge. They were there roosting in the cliffs. There was also this guy with a bag of rocks throwing them at the condors. Struck up a conversation and he worked for some NGO like Audobon Society or Ford Raptors. His job was to keep the condors away from the bridge. The guy used to be a school teacher from the LBC. His throwing motion was like that of one of a Belmont Shore's finest. He couldn't hit anything. So I told him I played water polo through college and had a pretty good arm. Let me have a shot. He did and I had my wife taking pictures, because how often do you get the chance to throw rocks at endangered species?

I hit condor #68 with the first throw. These birds are so big, the rock....err pebble just bounced off it.

Right before sunset, the condors took flight and circled over the bridge. They were flying within 20' of us. They are simply massive. No mistaking a condor with a turkey vulture.

image.jpeg

Reactions: Bigfishhateme

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
No worries even the tree huggers can't tell the difference
In reality, all the Condors have big number tags on the right wing, upper wing surface. We're talking like a 5" x 5" or bigger tag with block numbers on it legible with my crap eyes from quite a distance.

Reactions: Bottom Line

el Toro

Feb 19, 2003
Point Loma
Name
Nate
Boat
Artemis
All condors will have a wing tag. And are way bigger. Somewhere I have a picture of about half the state's condor population feeding on a dead wild pig.

Reactions: BiggestT