Calico or Sandies on restaurant menus

chef gabe

Eat the collars!
Aug 23, 2014
Dana Point
Name
Gabe
Boat
Aqua Pazza (translates to Crazy Water and this is the name of an Italian Fishermans Stew)
Does anyone know why our local sea bass are not served in restaurants? Is it a regulatory deal? Supply challenge?

Upvote 0

Laukia

boss
Nov 30, 2004
Carpinteria
Name
Dave R
Boat
28' Carolina Classic (sold) Pursuit 2350 FreeSwimmer
Local sea bass (white sea bass) are served occasionally in restaurants. NOT calicos or sand bass which are strictly recreational caught and in possession and are not commercial targets.

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Local sea bass (white sea bass) are served occasionally in restaurants. NOT calicos or sand bass which are strictly recreational caught and in possession and are not commercial targets.
I was in a seafood restaurant in enesenada about ten years ago.They had a live aquarium filled with sandbass that you could actually pick your meal.....fancy shmancy:)

Upvote 0

Bud B

Fear the Kraken
Dec 5, 2004
Name
Bud
Boat
Spotfin

White seabass (actaully a croaker) is. Black Sea Bass (an actual Bass) from Mexico or from allowed for bycatch of local gillnet fishing is. Spotted Bay, Sand and Calico bass are species not allowed to be "taken" commerially in California...although it can be imported from Mexico...but the procedures to do so make it impractical.

Upvote 0

elreytut

elreytut
Jun 19, 2005
Los Angeles
Name
bob
Boat
TARPON 120. NEW RIDE
years ago i'd gone down to ports O'Call to fish the afternoon half day on the Fat Matt. cruised through the fish mkt, asked the price on some unmarked iced down fish next to the rockfish, said, "how much a LB for the Calico Bass? guy said they dont sell them. so i said ring them up as whitefish. had a limit before i even got on the boat! he stashed the rest of them under the counter ASAP

Upvote 0

Sgtsilbaugh

"Keep calm and.........FISH ON!!!!"
Apr 14, 2014
Brea
Name
Kevin
Boat
qajaq
So what is Chilean sea bass, that you see in restaurants and stores? WSB, BSB or something else?

Upvote 0

LTBOLTMAN

Team Tail Chasers
Oct 15, 2006
San Diego
Name
Leoman
Boat
Davis Bahia 25 Pilot House
Upvote 0

Sgtsilbaugh

"Keep calm and.........FISH ON!!!!"
Apr 14, 2014
Brea
Name
Kevin
Boat
qajaq
Interesting! I guess I'm having the sand dabs next time!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1432008230626.pdf
    126.3 KB · Views: 20
Upvote 0

Latest posts