Calico Fishing is Child's Play

SLB

Aug 3, 2008
Mission Viejo, CA, USA
Name
Steve
Boat
Angler 204 WA
I booked a trip with Captain Dave Hansen for my son and I today.

My son, Christopher, caught 35 calicos and 16 other misc fish, including mackeral, barracuda, kelpfish and the biggest jacksmelt I have ever seen. I know because he was counting them. We were fishing boiler rocks north of Dana Point for the calicos and later in the kelp for the other fish. The boiler fishing was close to a fish per bait. Watching my son flylining anchovies and setting the hook was the coolest thing. Being a teacher myself, I know the advantage a non-parent has when teaching a child anything. Dave was amazing in helping Christopher and showed incredible patience all day as Christopher grappled with flylining anchovies. He is so hooked on fishing this way now.

Oh yeah - just for fun, I checked the fish counts for all the landings today. Christopher out caught each of the landings today by himself. Yeah Dave and I caught fish, but that wasn't what today was about.

The second picture is a jacksmelt. We didn't take a picture of the really big one, but it was at least twice the size of the one in the picture. Of course, Christopher was excited and proud of all the fish he caught.

ChristopherCalico.jpg
JackSmelt.jpg

bus kid

rebmem nwonk llew
Feb 8, 2009
www.spacex.com
Name
David
Boat
Skipjack 20 open
Time well wasted.
Great photos

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
Excellent day on the water for both you and you son!

aloharob

Sep 9, 2004
Calabasas, CA
Name
Rob
Boat
40' Cabo Flybridge "Magellan" and 19' Boston Whaler "BobKat"
Excellent day for Christopher - even if he catches fish for the next 50 years he will remember this day!! Good job by both Dad and Capt. Dave.

martman

Oct 13, 2007
Laguna Niguel
Name
marty
Boat
I'll bring the beer
Nice pops & thanks for the report! It's a shame we wont be able to fish those spots come Jan 2011 CUZ THE FUGGIN LAGUNA LIBS (among others) & THE MLPA!!!Anyway..taking my 3 & 4 year olds this weekend for their first time trout fishing. Hope they get hooked like your little guy!

kelpbass_kid

Salvay Pacific
Oct 6, 2006
SCI
Name
Evan
Boat
29 ft. Crystaliner "Hawk", 22 ft. Ranger Bahia 220 "RazeRanger"
great job Christopher, a fine fisherman in the making

Tunaslam

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
Yep, a special Father and son trip to remember! Good job guys!

Reuben

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 23, 2008
Socal
Name
Reuben
Boat
Boat
Great day out Dad! I remember all those days out with my dad.

Nice!

PUDDLER

John
Apr 6, 2007
sf valley
Name
JOHN
Boat
235 Triumph "High Spot"
Hey Bus Kid I'm calling you out, whats up with the dis. Pissed because you have no boat or no reports. Just sayin.

KennyMac

Jun 27, 2005
South Bay/Torrance Area
Name
Kenny
Boat
It's in the ex-wife's driveway (thanks for reminding me).
There's nothing better than fishing with the family...way to go.