1Matthew

• Aug 3, 2021
    Thousand Oaks
    Name
    Matthew Horowitz
    Boat
    Island Spirit
    Hi all! I’m trying to get more into the saltwater bass species fishing. I’ve gone out for calico Bass using my sealine 30 but really want to get a baitcaster for chucking swim baits at them. I’m looking for something to throw 1/2 oz - 2 oz probably and typically fish around the Channel Islands area. I’m not too familiar with saltwater baitcasters but rather more conventional reels. I was looking at the lexa 300 but I wanted to here some more suggestions. If anyone knows of any good setups I can buy please let me know!

Reactions: Shewillbemine
    Upvote 0

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 9, 2016
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    sunk it
    I fish swim baits for bass at the islands quite a bit, I like calcuttas, 300te or 400D depending on the size of the swim bait. I like round reels but that's just me.
    There's a ton of good bait casters available almost hard to go wrong if you don't buy junk.

Upvote 0

fcsd_christian

RIP-Here Lies: Fish, E.
  • Apr 1, 2019
    San Diego
    Name
    Christian
    Boat
    14ft Valco
    I also like those round Calcutta’s for throwing smaller swim baits; I have the 300D on an M1 7’11 rated 10-25#. I also fish a lexa 300 on a Californian 9’ 15-40# a ton. My go to set up when fishing the Point Loma kelp beds. I have a lexa 400 for throwing swimbaits at bigger fish. fish it with a proteus 810 when I’m using it for that application.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Kman

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Apr 7, 2003
    So Cal
    Name
    Kurt
    Boat
    Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
    If you are on a budget and don’t need the reel for regular yellowtail, the Curado 300 EJs are workhorse reels. They don’t readily corrode and are easy to service.

1Matthew
    1Matthew
    I don’t really have a specified budget but if I do come by some breezing yellowtail I would like something to handle em maybe.
    Upvote 0
    1Matthew
    1Matthew
    I don’t think I would want to spend a whole lot though on the Calcutta. I would rather have a baitcaster than a round reel
    Upvote 0
    Kman
    Kman
    While not my first choice as a YT reel, I’ve caught plenty of YT as bycatch while bass fishing using the Curado 300s—including my PB 30# tail.

The Tranx and Lexas have an extra drag washer. They are better suited for YT, but cost twice as much.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

fcsd_christian

• Apr 1, 2019
    San Diego
    Name
    Christian
    Boat
    14ft Valco
    I do want to pair it with probably a Californian rod because they r cheap and supposedly are nice for calicos
    The rod you get should depend on the boat you will be fishing from. If you are fishing half days and party boats, you want a 9' rod because they typically park a little outside the kelp and a bit farther from the sweet spots. If youre fishing from a smaller private boat 9' can be a bit excessive and you dont necessarily need all that length because the smaller boat can slide in a bit closer to kelp. id get an 8' or 8'2 in that circumstance.

Reactions: repo805
    Upvote 0

1Matthew

• Aug 3, 2021
    Thousand Oaks
    Name
    Matthew Horowitz
    Boat
    Island Spirit
    But yes I would be fishing from party boats might do a little private charter fishing with friends but for the most part on party boats

Upvote 0

fcsd_christian

• Apr 1, 2019
    San Diego
    Name
    Christian
    Boat
    14ft Valco
    I can’t get a 9 footer because it might not fit in my car! Haha
    What you do is stick it through the passenger window butt first and then tie it to the side mirror. Trust me you want a 9 foot rod if you are fishing for calicos from a party boat. I promise you will not catch as many, or as big of calicos as guys fishing 9 foots rods.

Reactions: watersdeep
    Upvote 0

1Matthew

• Aug 3, 2021
    Thousand Oaks
    Name
    Matthew Horowitz
    Boat
    Island Spirit
    What you do is stick it through the passenger window butt first and then tie it to the side mirror. Trust me you want a 9 foot rod if you are fishing for calicos from a party boat. I promise you will not catch as many, or as big of calicos as guys fishing 9 foots rods.
    That sounds risky. Yikes

Upvote 0

Kman

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Apr 7, 2003
    So Cal
    Name
    Kurt
    Boat
    Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
    I’m mainly concerned about the reel I don’t want something crazy expensive
    I have a Curado 300 DSV in very good condition you can have for $150. I think it has 50# Power Pro on it. I’ll have to service it first to make sure it’s as clean inside as it is outside.

E1B07E25-2F8F-462B-B3C8-11A43E491241.jpeg

70EEFC68-96D6-4468-B4F1-C048A3070BA7.jpeg

1Matthew
    1Matthew
    Right now I’m mainly just getting ideas but curious where are you locatex
    Upvote 0
    Kman
    Kman
    I’m in Diamond Bar. The DSVs were my workhorse bass reels for years. I retired them for 300 EJs. They use roughly the same internals. IIRC, that reel has ceramic spool bearings and Carbontex drags.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Paulo Grandez

• Sep 28, 2014
    Name
    Paulo
    Boat
    N/A
    A Lexa 300 and Californian 80H would be a nice cheap combo. A Calico Special would be nice too.

Any one of the 300 size Baitcasters will serve you well just remember to get a high gear ratio like 7.1

Reactions: kbray001
    Upvote 0

watersdeep

I CATCH IT. I KILL IT. I CLEAN IT. I DON'T DELIVER
  • Jan 19, 2016
    LB
    Name
    Jed Venture
    Boat
    the twisted ducker
    DUDE. DIAWA LEXA 300 TW......BUY ONCE, CRY ONCE.
    It's the latest and greatest. My buddy just beat the crap out of a bunch of yellows and calicos at Cedros with his, and he had all kinds of good thing to say about it. 23#of drag and on and on. Thing is legit. Check it on the Diawa site.
    Your welcome.

Upvote 0

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Erick
    Boat
    None
    DUDE. DIAWA LEXA 300 TW......BUY ONCE, CRY ONCE.
    It's the latest and greatest. My buddy just beat the crap out of a bunch of yellows and calicos at Cedros with his, and he had all kinds of good thing to say about it. 23#of drag and on and on. Thing is legit. Check it on the Diawa site.
    Your welcome.
    I can agree with this.
    I opened my 400tw and old 300hd. Its a completely different reel. Its more like a tranx 400 on steroids, it has X Ship, and a bearing supporting the drive shaft. Every bearing in the reel is a CRBB which are amazing in salt and pretty much never corrode. They took the bearing from under the drive shaft and replaced it with a bushing, which wont corrode, the old lexa hd had a bearing in that spot and I've seen them corroded a few times. They also weigh 5 oz less than the old 400. It feels like the same weight as my lexa 300hd. The coating is also a lot prettier and harder than the old ones, it feels like one of the hardest coatings on the market.

It has the TW feature which is hands down the best casting design in any of the lowpros, it outcasts all my other reels by a mile, including the old lexas.

I see people complaining about the brass main gear on the stainless pinion. It really doesn't matter. With all the bearing support there is literally no room for flex on the gears, they are in precise alignment at all times. They also beefed up the spool shaft quite a bit since it doesn't need to support the pinion as much anymore.

I upgraded from the komodo 471p and i dont regret it at all.

Upvote 0

1Matthew

• Aug 3, 2021
    Thousand Oaks
    Name
    Matthew Horowitz
    Boat
    Island Spirit
    I can see why it’s such a good reel but would like something cheaper, I’m a bit clumsy when it comes to everything so if I would do anything I don’t want to end up paying hundreds to fix it

Upvote 0

Paulo Grandez

• Sep 28, 2014
    Name
    Paulo
    Boat
    N/A
    Reactions: kbray001

Mickeyfin

Mickeyfin
    Jul 18, 2003
    santa monica,ca.
    Name
    Mickeyfin
    Boat
    no
    I fish the Channel Islands often and have been using 200 & 300 size Curados for many years. Great reels that handled every fish encounter without a problem. That's not to say the Daiwas won't do as well....................................... for double the price.

Upvote 0

Paulo Grandez

• Sep 28, 2014
    Name
    Paulo
    Boat
    N/A
    If you can find a curado 300ej that would be awesome. But the Corrado 300's that are out now don't offer much line capacity, you're going to need it in case you hook a yellowtail which is definitely a possibility.

Corrado's aren't exactly cheap either.

The cheapest reel you're going to find is a Lexa 300 or a Komodo 300. Both are great so get the one that's cheaper if money is an issue.