Calcutta - Which one?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reels' started by broton, Mar 15, 2011.

1. broton

broton Member

Name:
    KC
    Boat:
    23 Cobra Performance
    I am looking to get a reel for throwing plastics in SoCal.

I am debating between a Calcutta 200B, 200GTB or a TE200. What do you guys think would stand up best to the saltwater? Also which one will cast plastics better. I cam currently leaning towards the 200GTB but I can be swayed.

I have a calcutta 250 over 10 years old which is still going strong so I am impressed with these reels.

Thanks for your advice.

2. yellow111

yellow111 Newbie

Name:
    Joe G
    Boat:
    LOL!!!
    The 200GTB is a great little reel or a 400TE

3. Cast Gold

Cast Gold hss AHHHH...hss AHHHH....

Name:
    Kris
    Boat:
    Mike's
    You might be able to do more with the GTB or TE.

4. Jig Strike

Jig Strike . . . new and improved

Name:
    Glenn
    Boat:
    Ho Ho Ho
    Why would my opinion sway your decision?

Zebco makes workable reels.

People will say, "I like this drag", or, "I like that ratio", or, "I love the shiny color",
    of their favorite reel.

You have narrowed it down to what you want.
    Grow a set, buy your 200GTB, and have fun fishing.

Others will try their damnedest to convince you to buy what they like.[​IMG]

5. HermosaJoe

HermosaJoe Well-Known "Member"

Wow, that'll encourage this relatively new poster to ask more questions!

Some of us are getting a bit edgy. After some analysis, I'm figuring' it's a monthly thing for my wife, a seasonal thing for some of us fishermen. Apparently we need some fish to show up to keep us occupied. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

6. broton

broton Member

Name:
    KC
    Boat:
    23 Cobra Performance
    I can be swayed because if other peoples experience with the reels. Any reels outside of baitcasters I cannot be swayed it's accurates or avets.

I appreciate people's thoughts and views on reels. The best way to get info is to ask people who have used the reels.

Thanks everyone for your opinions, I am leaning towards the 200GTB. I just don't see the TE worth the extra cash.

7. rxvenom

rxvenom Newbie

Name:
    Ken
    Boat:
    trophy 2052
    seriously....What kind of site would this be if it followed the "Don't ask Don't Tell" policy.

8. DONNIE SD

DONNIE SD Class on Wednesday

Name:
    Allen
    That will fucking solve everything!!!!

9. deluxe247

deluxe247 Newbie

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    Yours
    Hey KC, Im not too sure about the other reels, but for the past 4 years I've been using my calcutta 200gtb and it has performed really well. I use this reel for tossing lucky crafts in the surf as well as big hammers and various other plastics in the harbor. For maintenance, all I do after fishing is button down the drag, turn my hose on the mist setting and spray it down, wipe off the excess water, and back off the drags. Service once a year, and it is still pretty smooth. good luck with whatever you pick!

On a side note, I have another reel, Team Daiwa Luna. It is very comparable to the calcutta, however it does have the cast control right on the side plate which is very convenient when casting lighter baits or into the wind.
    http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwaluna.html

10. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    hey Tim, and which one would you prefer most of the times?

11. wkk

wkk Member

Name:
    will
    Boat:
    Edge Water CC/Hobie Outback
    From my experience in owning the following reels: 200gtb, 400s, TE300, TE400, Luna 203/253.
    If you're mainly targeting bass, bonito, cuda and fishing mostly plastics the 200gtb will be just fine.
    The best casting reel out of the above is the Luna 203/253. Although the 400s comes pretty close b/c there's no levelwind to slow down the line.
    TE's have the most cranking power and are better suited for fishing bigger fish like yellowtail, tuna & wsb. The TE's feel like they have the same cranking power as the Trinidad's. If the fish is less than 15 lbs it just feels like your cranking in your bait with no fish at the other end.
    All of the above reels are equally durable and well crafted. They all casts heavy baits very well but the luna's cast the lighter baits better.
    For fishing plastics in the kelp the 200gtb will be just fine. But for a little more money I'd rather get the Luna 253 b/c it casts better and can be used on tuna, yt & wsb. And if you want a baitcaster to target larger fish over 20 lbs I'd get the TE300/TE400.

12. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    cool, thanks for the comment

I already have a calcutta 400TE for big plastics or small and medium jigs, for my average fish I catch on the cortez sea is more than enough for me.

for small and medium plastics I got the cardiff 200 (gold model) and a daiwa coastal 153h but I always liked the luna 253 and with you comment I may sell both reels and get the luna instead.