calcutta 400 or cadiff 200 advise need it

Discussion in 'The Bass Fishing Club' started by steelfish, Mar 3, 2010.

1. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    what would be better reel in a long run to go after spotties, sandies, cabrillas and sea bass, and maybe some small YT

a new cardiff 200 or a 3 season used but well mainteined calcutta 400 (plain, no B, C, T series).

2. fongster

fongster Newbie

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    15 Gregor Bassomatic
    That's a tough one. Neither is right for all the species/uses you mentioned. The Cardiff 200 is kind of tiny for cabrilla and yellows unless you use braid and the drags aren't that big. The 400 is better for those latter two species but is way too big for spotties and lighter line. The Calcutta is a higher quality reel made in Japan with a forged frame. The Cardiff is a very good reel but it is not as precise as the Calcutta. Quality issues aside, I'd opt for the Cardiff 200 and use 40# or 50# braid. It'll be more fun and easier to handle when fishing your smaller species.

3. kelpbass_kid

kelpbass_kid Salvay Pacific

Name:
    Evan
    Boat:
    29 ft. Crystaliner "Hawk", 22 ft. Ranger Bahia 220 "RazeRanger"
    As David said, none of the reels are best suited for all of the species listed.

May I suggest a Cardiff 300. That would be the perfect compromise!

4. Killer Instinct

Killer Instinct BigTuna - Cesar

Name:
    Cesar Chavez
    Boat:
    KILLER INSTINCT
    That's Easy between those 2 choices only the calcutta 400 is way better, the cardiff does not have as good drag & lower quality frame.

5. DoubleAron

DoubleAron Newbie

Name:
    Aaron
    Boat:
    22ft
    If you have the $ to purchase a Calcutta, you should think about just getting 2 reels that keep you in the same price range. You could get the new Citica 200E for spotties and a larger Cardiff 400 for the same price. It's hard to find something that can do it all.

6. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    mm you guys got me thinking now

it seems that I need a low profile for spotties of a 200 size reel, I already have a nice abu 6500c3 that I use on the beach and from piers for spotties and triggerfish, and I was planning to used the cardiff instead of the abu when I bought it new, but a friend wants to get rid of his calcutta 400 TE and my plan now was selling the cardiff and a daiwa saltist 20H and get the calcutta instead.
    calcutta 400 will do mostly what my actual saltist 20h does if not better right?

so, what kind fishes should I catch with a calcutta 400TE? (I just looked the reel and it is a TE)

PS: mm maybe I just need to sell the cardiff and buy a citica200E, ooh desitions, desitions!!!

7. fongster

fongster Newbie

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    15 Gregor Bassomatic
    It's a TE? That is very good! Bass, 'buts, yellows and even small tuna. That's a great 15 to 25# mono reel--depending on what test you need vs. line capacity. The drags in the TEs are better than a std. Calcutta. I personally use low-pros for my bay bass fishing. The Cardiff 200 is great for the bays and inshore bass. Many guys use round baitcasters too.

8. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    well since my expectatives for BIG fishes here in the upper Mar de Cortez (baja north) are not that big, I ended selling my saltist 30TH for getting a calcutta 400TE for average fish and keeping the cardiff 200 for the spotties, with these setups I plan to forget about baitfishing LOL

thanks my BASSamigos BD's for your help