Ian Baker

Fisherman In Training
Nov 16, 2018
South Bay, CA
Name
Ian
Boat
26' Robalo
I feel embarrassed but does anyone mind taking the time and describing to me what Cal Sheets is? Im seeing it all over BD but still cant piece together exactly what it is.

nu2reels

edited so you don't read the defaulted stuff, lol
Nov 26, 2008
Los Angeles- South Central
Name
Dan
Boat
None
Thank you... but I still don't understand EXACTLY what they do. Does anyone have specifics?
They have a machine shop that can tune the reels on their list so you get phenomenal freespool and tweak the drag cams so you get a smoother ramp up, and can add parts for more drag pressure out of the reel without loosing freespool.

Look up the website and do some reading.

Reactions: Ian Baker

Ian Baker

Fisherman In Training
Nov 16, 2018
South Bay, CA
Name
Ian
Boat
26' Robalo
They have a machine shop that can tune the reels on their list so you get phenomenal freespool and tweak the drag cams so you get a smoother ramp up, and can add parts for more drag pressure out of the reel without loosing freespool.

Look up the website and do some reading.
Interesting. Thank you. I'll check it out.

Last edited:

Day0ne

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 24, 2004
Texas
Name
David
Boat
233 Formula Shadowdancer
I feel embarrassed but does anyone mind taking the time and describing to me what Cal Sheets is? Im seeing it all over BD but still cant piece together exactly what it is.
Cal Sheets is a him, not a thing.

fujirose

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 17, 2009
Roseville, CA
Name
Jim Fujitani
Boat
21' Seaswirl
And on older reels, they used to mill out metal from spools and frames to make them lighter, without making them weaker. And also make the spools deeper, so they could increase the capacity of the original spools.

Ian Baker

Fisherman In Training
Nov 16, 2018
South Bay, CA
Name
Ian
Boat
26' Robalo
And on older reels, they used to mill out metal from spools and frames to make them lighter, without making them weaker. And also make the spools deeper, so they could increase the capacity of the original spools.
Very cool! Thank you all.

Shimano Penn

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 3, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
David
Boat
Fond Memory
Yea that's what I said :D I had him do (2) 25N's and a 30. Also (2) older International 30sw2's. When season ends I will send him a 40N. It takes time, they get really backed up. Don't do it until season ends.

Ian Baker

Fisherman In Training
Nov 16, 2018
South Bay, CA
Name
Ian
Boat
26' Robalo
Yea that's what I said :D I had him do (2) 25N's and a 30. Also (2) older International 30sw2's. When season ends I will send him a 40N. It takes time, they get really backed up. Don't do it until season ends.
I'll for sure look into it. Once again thank you all for your info.

tunachris

Oct 16, 2005
Azusa, CA
Name
Chris Lomax
Boat
none
I have been using Cal’s services for 30 years. Many unique upgrades for Penn, Shimano, etc... Among other reels, I have a Penn 30TW that has been 2-speeded, blueprinted, and upgraded drags for going on 30 years now. I have lost count how many big fish the reel has caught.

Recently I have been sending Shimano Tallicas to Cal to have lower gearing installed, and blueprinted. Makes the reels what they should be!

albacore11

Member Intrepid 200# Club
May 19, 2006
Crowley Lake, CA
Name
Christopher
Boat
Gone but not forgotten
Ian, if you go to the Fred Hall Show in Long Beach you can stop by his booth, meet the legend and his son......if that be of interest.

theman772

Nov 25, 2011
el monte
Name
sherman
Boat
Blackman Outerbanks
Cal is the man free spool amazing
The bigger reels he puts the granny gear
In great for big fish the amount of drag he gets out Is impressive