Aug 26, 2005
San Diego
Name
Arnie
Boat
26' Skipjack "Resolution"
Friend sent me this, so I'm sharing:

All,

There will be a Fish and Game Commission meeting on August 8th in Ventura. For those interested in fishing, it's time to speak your mind regarding the proposed Sandbass, Spottie and Calico regulations.

The three proposed regulatory options are intended to work together to favor population increases of the three bass species by reducing take.

The options include an increase in the minimum size limit for all three species (with a corresponding increase in fillet length and alternate length), a reduction in the bag limit for all three species, and a spawning season closure for barred sand bass only. Each proposed option includes a range of sub-options
yielding different reductions in catch depending on the species. The following summarizes the options for regulatory change in Title 14, Sections 27.65(b)(1) and 28.30:

Option 1: The proposed regulation would increase the minimum size limit for bass to either 13, 14, or 15 inches total length. An increase in the minimum size limit to 13, 14,
or 15 inches will require a corresponding increase in the fillet length size to 7, 7.5, or 8 inches, respectively and a corresponding increase in the alternate length size to 9.25, 10, or 10.75 inches, respectively. Ocean whitefish fillets would retain the 6.5 inches
minimum length and require the entire skin be attached.

Option 2: Current regulations specify a limit of 10 fish (bass) in any combination of species. The proposed regulation would retain the 10 fish upper limit in aggregate stipulation, but provide for a reduction in the individual species limit within the range of 10 to 0.

Option 3: Current regulations do not specify any seasonal closure of barred sand bass fishing. The proposed regulation would close barred sand bass fishing from 1 week to 3 months during the spawning season (June 1-August 31).

DFG states the benefits of the proposed regulations are sustainable management of the bass resources to protect bass populations while continuing to provide recreational fishing opportunities. The proposed regulations are neither inconsistent nor incompatible with existing State regulations. No other State agency has the authority to promulgate sport fishing regulations.
NOTICE IS GIVEN that any person interested may present statements, orally or in writing, relevant to this action at a hearing to be held at:

The Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach Hotel,
450 E. Harbor Blvd.
Ventura, California
Wednesday, August 8, 2012 at 8:30 a.m., or as soon thereafter as the matter may be heard.

Upvote 0

simmo13

I Should Upgrade My Account
Nov 12, 2010
Lb inshore
Name
Simmo
Boat
19’ baja bayrunner!!!!!
Such wording. If it makes the bass fishing better then cool. I hope that in there is something along the lines of only 3-5 per species per day. I like 3 but doubt that it will change that much. Who needs 10 bass of one species (how it is now) a day???but if you were able to land 3 sand and 3 calicoes then cool 6 fish seems plenty. I release 99% of the bass I catch. My .02.
Ps. Now all those 11 inch bass kept will grow.:hali_olutta::hali_olutta:

After I wrote this ^ I reread and saw where they will decide "the aggregate stipulation,but provide for a reduction in individual species limit within the range" so they have yet to decide I guess with my high school diploma.

Upvote 0

bassfinder949

Captain Save-A-Hoe
Jul 28, 2009
South O.C.
Name
Benny
Boat
1850 winner center console
Good News !!!!!!! Are Bass Fisheries are just being Slaughtered !!!!!!!!!!! The Sport Boats are a Big Taker of these slow to grow species and If it was up to me I would Have a NO TAKE on all three of our Bass .When I take friends out on our Boat all Bass are released ,I mean who wants to eat Bass anyways go buy some Tilapia from Stater Bros , I dont know about you guys but I like catching Big Bass and dont want to charge it to SC Island to find them .Since the MLPA took effect all of Laguna has been shut Down ,so all the Sportboats have been fishing Salt Creak Kelp and the Kelp off of San Clemente and farther down to the Barn Kelp and everthing in between they keep everything 12' and over what gets me really mad is when I go to get some Fish and Chips at Johns Fish Market and walk past Dana Wharf and it says we caught 17.589 Calicos last year , and #1 Calico Killers on the West Coast .We need to all do our part or theres going to be nothing left I hope all our Bass guys show support for these new laws there trying to pass.Later

Upvote 0

26grumpy

who hooked who
Sep 24, 2006
Anaheim Hills
Name
Joe
Boat
Freefrom Boats Club
Where is the data to justify reg changes??

I'm for the changes because I'm a 90% c&r bass-hat who wants his first 10# Calicock in a bad way. The changes can only help me but I'd be hypocritical if I didn't call for releasing ALL data that provides back-up to justify more regs, stricter regs and the gateway to a very slippery slope.

Has anyone ever caught a tagged Calico? Where are the studies and where is the data for the public to review before ANYTHING process-wise happens???

Upvote 0
S

South Bend

Where are the studies and where is the data for the public to review before ANYTHING process-wise happens???

It's kept in the same place all the data and research that was done for the South Coast MLPA closures are. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
  • Apr 24, 2005
    in the Hood
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Franks ho
    Good News !!!!!!! Are Bass Fisheries are just being Slaughtered !!!!!!!!!!! The Sport Boats are a Big Taker of these slow to grow species and If it was up to me I would Have a NO TAKE on all three of our Bass .When I take friends out on our Boat all Bass are released ,I mean who wants to eat Bass anyways go buy some Tilapia from Stater Bros , I dont know about you guys but I like catching Big Bass and dont want to charge it to SC Island to find them .Since the MLPA took effect all of Laguna has been shut Down ,so all the Sportboats have been fishing Salt Creak Kelp and the Kelp off of San Clemente and farther down to the Barn Kelp and everthing in between they keep everything 12' and over what gets me really mad is when I go to get some Fish and Chips at Johns Fish Market and walk past Dana Wharf and it says we caught 17.589 Calicos last year , and #1 Calico Killers on the West Coast .We need to all do our part or theres going to be nothing left I hope all our Bass guys show support for these new laws there trying to pass.Later
    Come down to Dago. We have plenty of bass that taste great.

Upvote 0

86 Winchester

Almost A Member
    Oct 9, 2011
    Reserve, New Mexico, USA
    Name
    Jess Carey
    Boat
    JesseLynn - 31' Silverton - drydock - re-fit

SOOOOO, the MLPA's are working...to put high concentrated fishing in open areas...we all knew this would happen...now, here come,s increased regulations because everyone is fishing in the same place, then comes more MLPA's to these places...then on and on....

Do the sport boats that people pay to go out and fish on have a right to the legal limit...I say yes, same as for me or you...if you decide to release your catch that is fine...the people that keep their fish want to eat them...is this a crime?

We all want that secret spot to fish that no one else fishes and has the big ones......their all under MLPA regulation and I think this is just the start of its expansion..
    shithappens.gif

So, good fishing while you can.....

Upvote 0
    Jul 22, 2008
    In the boat/in the blind
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    18' westcoaster SOLD
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bassfinder949

Ya we should all go to Johns fish market where no fish are harmed:rofl::rofl:

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    Isnt this old news ? i dont think they will change anything.I wish they would but they drag their feet on these things.Someone wants to see data to show why they should make changes ? total up what our commercial 1/2 and 3/4 day boats take per year and then add some for the private fleet.It isnt the commercial/wholesale guys taking bass.Just my meaningless opinion.

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    Personally, I'm tired of bass eating my bait while I'm fishing for YT, WSB and Halibut......Thin em out boys, thin 'em out.....:waglleybooty:

Upvote 0

Daniel Burke

Jun 16, 2009
    Orange County
    Name
    Daniel Burke
    Boat
    I normally fish from shore, but sometimes I take out my kayak
    If it was up to me I would Have a NO TAKE on all three of our Bass .When I take friends out on our Boat all Bass are released ,I mean who wants to eat Bass anyways go buy some Tilapia from Stater Bros , I dont know about you guys but I like catching Big Bass and dont want to charge it to SC Island to find them r

Wow you won't let your friends keep the fish they catch on your boat. And you tell them they have to go buy fish at the market if they want to eat. I'd hate to be on your boat man.

My friends catch bass every single time we go out to the islands and nearly every time we eat those bass for dinner on our anchorage. Bass taste great!

Upvote 0

DC61

Dec 28, 2011
    Dana Point
    Name
    Paul L.
    Boat
    33’ Blackfin
    I totally agree with this and personally elie's way overdue. I am the same one who pointed out that a cooler full of 60 dead calico bass on the Dreamer (along with limits of seabass) is such a waste. I also pointed out that they did nothing illegal. We as sportfishermen have proven we cannot regulate ourselves. As much as I loathe government involvement, We need to do this.

While they are meeting, I hope they do more to regulate hoop netting. We are killing the resource......

Upvote 0

26grumpy

who hooked who
    Sep 24, 2006
    Anaheim Hills
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    Freefrom Boats Club
    We as sportfishermen have proven we cannot regulate ourselves. We are killing the resource......

Could you please provide some back-up, some link to a study, anything that would educate us flat-earthers about the realities on the water would be prefferable.

You like many are falling for the language of tyranists. First they isolate a weak target, that would be the recreational angler in this instance. Humiliation comes next. They rally others against the target by using fear and mis-information painting the target as an evil do'er.....killing sea kittens in this case.

De-humanizing the target is essential, the target cannot be perceived as living breathing humans so they come up with Atomitronic names like "consumptive users". This act frees up the ignorant to become loud guilt-free foot-soilders as there is no longer a human connection to consider before making outrageous statements.

Intimidation is a given. We see that in play right now with the elevated searches, on-the water harrassment, helicopters and dogs and DFG cutters and pure partisan hate coming from elected officials against the top DFG official who is one of us.

Indoctrinate the young and ignorant within the ranks of the target through guilt and projection to create dis-unity, division and chaos within said ranks.

Wake up folks.....

Upvote 0

tsurikichi

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Apr 25, 2005
    SoCal
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    10' 2 1/64"
    Hi Nevslaw,

Be interesting to see how many sporties (maybe even contribution to a landings demise or ah hem reorganization) go under when the .... 'keep everything and as much as you're willing to risk getting caught with and drag the bag of uncleaned fish off the boat' folks find it just ain't worth the trip any more !!

Love and support our cattleboats SD to CI in general and am an advocate of their business value and service to the fishing public but hope a select few of them GO ....... SOON, VERY SOON ....... FAR FAR AWAY !!

tsurikichi

Upvote 0

reelbadlarry

Jun 25, 2005
    socal
    Name
    Larry
    Boat
    23ft parker, reel bad
    Good thing we released all those calicos years ago in Laguna....now we can drive by and watch them grow. Catch, eat, and release.

Upvote 0

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
  • Dec 20, 2008
    San Clemente
    Name
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat
    Parker 2120SCDV
    Where is the data to justify reg changes??

I'm for the changes because I'm a 90% c&r bass-hat who wants his first 10# Calicock in a bad way. The changes can only help me but I'd be hypocritical if I didn't call for releasing ALL data that provides back-up to justify more regs, stricter regs and the gateway to a very slippery slope.

Has anyone ever caught a tagged Calico? Where are the studies and where is the data for the public to review before ANYTHING process-wise happens???

SO SPOT ON! SERIOUSLY! What is the sustianable biomass? What is the level needed so that we can continue to fish bass but the populations replnishes... I've seen info for all the East Coast inshore fish... Striped Bass... Fluke, Blackfish. I don't get how there is 0 data on any of this stuff?????????

I have never kept a calico or sandbass so these regs do not affect me at all that being said ... we need some data first to make educated decisions. Just saying we should do this or the sporties are killing the fishery with 0 data to back that up is not better than saying we should close the entire coast to fishing ... it's the same thing.

Upvote 0

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
  • Dec 20, 2008
    San Clemente
    Name
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat
    Parker 2120SCDV
    The way this is supposed to work is the below:

The 2011 Atlantic striped stock assessment update indicates that the resource remains in good condition with the female spawning stock biomass (SSB) estimate at 109% of the SSB target and 137% of the SSB threshold. The estimated fishing mortality rate (F) in 2010 was 0.23, below both the target (0.30) and threshold (0.34).

i.e. we do our best to estimate the bio mass using the best available science...they we do our best to estimate a sustainable harvest and then check that again spawing rates.

Not "The sporties are killing everything" Stop bass fishing. I would even be ok with .... until we clarity we are recommending this... we need to have an assetment by this date.

Rather in CA it seems to be ... there are no more fish! STOP FISHING NOW and FOREVER.

It's crazy...where is the above data or even any attempt at getting it?

Upvote 0

HumblePieGuy

Biologist
    Jul 27, 2012
    Long Beach
    Name
    John
    Boat
    none
    Bottom line, the data used to derive at a decision to lower the limit and or season with this species and or any other species is completely flawed. Closing areas to MLPA's and then wiping out the remaing open areas with now twice the ammount of pressure, is an example of the complete failure on managment efforts.

Upvote 0

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
  • Dec 20, 2008
    San Clemente
    Name
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat
    Parker 2120SCDV
    Bottom line, the data used to derive at a decision to lower the limit and or season with this species and or any other species is completely flawed. Closing areas to MLPA's and then wiping out the remaing open areas with now twice the ammount of pressure, is an example of the complete failure on managment efforts.

I was speaking to a marine biolgist at one of the MPA meetings in Laguna. She was there to support the MPA and was at least willing to talk to me ulinke the other people who were just being condicending assholes.

I asked her what data she used to show that the "OVERALL BIOMASS" of the species they are trying to help had increased from an MPA.

She asked me to look at a video of a before and after reef in an MPA ... agian I reiterated..overall biomass as all you've done is move pressure from area to the next... did the overall stock improve. She reffered me to the video again. :rofl:

At least their is an attempt, (a poor one addmitdly), with Atlantic fisheries to quantifiy a volume of fish that is sustainable with some attempt to reallocate that resource when that biomass is reached. Here it's just shut er down and that's the end of it.

Upvote 0

Thozguys

Professional Geek
    Jun 16, 2008
    South of Georgia and Alabama...
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    Hydro-Sports 2800 Vector Walkaround
    So look at the video? What did they use to film the video? A remote DSV with a camera? SCUBA which scares the crap out any fish? Did they use rebreathers to get closer to the fish? My problem with the whole mess is, show us the data not a video. Show where a consensus was made using accepted and published experts (Biologists and Fisherman), and what is the forseeable amount of time it will take to replentish the area according to accepted scientific and historic methodology. How is it the most remote state, Alaska, can determine how much preasure a fishery can withstand, forecast that amount of take on a yearly basis, and determin the length of a closure, but the state with the 12th largest economy in the world doenst have a clue? Also, where is the data for determining both closing an area and opening area? How do you know when an area has been replentished?

Opiniated science is just that, CRAP. Without published data to all interested parties, all recommendations are paid opinions without any science to back it up.

Rant completed....

Upvote 0