craigen

Got Spooled
Jan 6, 2007
san diego
Name
Craig
Boat
none
What reel clamp can you rod builders recommend to use on an Alps CAH24 reel seat? I have a Penn TRQ60LD2 reel and the factory clamp does not fit this reel seat properly. There's a slight "V" shape to the inside of the Penn clamp that does not mate well to this reel seat.

Upvote 0

Mtnfshr

I Should Upgrade My Account
Nov 20, 2011
Thornton
Name
Chuck Mc
Boat
none
Are you more comfortable with a rounded clamp because you think it holds better? Take your reel to a shop and have them suggest a suitable replacement.
The clamp you have will be fine. It just looks unconventional. That reel seat has hoods that will hold your reel just fine. The clamp is just for the anglers piece of mind. The clamps themselves were, as I understand it, primarily standard fare on reels from the middle of the last century, or earlier. It was due to some reel seats being inferior, or deckhand style rod use. I've seen old bamboo surf rods that had wrap-on plate style seats that Fuji makes today. Just made from cheap sheet metal back then.
The hoods will hold your reel just fine. I would be more concerned with the epoxy job on the seat itself as opposed to the hoods on said reel seat. If that was a poorly done job and breaks loose allowing the seat to rotate on the blank, it won't matter what clamp you use.

Upvote 0

skrilla

allirks
May 26, 2006
San Diego
Name
Len
Boat
Camo Whammo
Alps double locking nuts haven't failed me yet. I actually have to smack them loose with the handle end of my pliers just to win back my reels.

If a clamp is mandatory try a graphite one to avoid scratching that beautiful anodizing.

Upvote 0

craigen

Got Spooled
Jan 6, 2007
san diego
Name
Craig
Boat
none
Yeah these reel seats are nice. United Composites Raptor so reel seet must have been installed right. I've always used a clamp for added security. But I was a bit concerned about getting a closer fit as the point of contact with the clamp isn't flush with the reel seat. I'm going to try using a longer clamp post and then cushion the space with a piece of hard rubber or use that graphite one so I don't scratch that nice black finish. Cheers...

craigen

Got Spooled
Jan 6, 2007
san diego
Name
Craig
Boat
none
Problem solved. The long screw/stud/post to get is Penn part number: 34-200 aka 034-1182810. A cheap fix for anybody who wants to clamp a Torque on a rod with a large reel seat.

Upvote 0