Cabo Surf Setup - Baitcaster?

bas13

May 22, 2009
Southern California
Name
bas13
Boat
Looking
Looking to purchase a setup for the beaches in and around Cabo. Been following some of the other threads and have a good idea of a decent travel spinning setup.
Question I have is anyone using a baitcaster setup? Maybe Lexa 400 or the like.
Would like to hear you opinion or experiences.
Thanks.

Cheech

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 11, 2008
Tustin, CA
Name
Jeff Cheechov
Boat
Skipjack 24FB, AD41P diesel
A Lexa 400 would make a great surf reel. I'd run braid backing and a longish mono topshot. The topshot will take a beating in the surf from rocks, Triggers and Needlefish. So take some extra mono and jigs and a few larger poppers for Jacks and Roosters. Check out the multi-piece Okuma Nomad travel rods. They will pack in your rolling soft luggage. I have a two of them. They fish pretty well and have some backbone. Or you can pack a rod tube and take longer rods and pay for the extra bag, etc etc. Take a small backpack for tackle. Consider some surf booties for wading. You'll have a blast. We generally travel to the East Cape and spend some time fishing the beaches, usually with fly rods.

Reactions: bas13

elskel

Apr 15, 2005
Laguna Beach CA / El Pescadero BCS
Name
Brian Knott
Boat
21' Baja Bayrunner
I fish quite a bit down that way (mostly Pacific side some East side). Most are using spinning reels, I use 55# power pro max quatro (25% thinner / more capacity), and top shot of 60# Flouro. The rod I use is 13'. Jansen's tackle in CSL (next to Walmart), good info / reports. His prices on lures and rods are good. Some big fish off the beach with teeth. So cool to hook into a big one. bk

Reactions: 909MARIO and Cheech

Endurance

Jun 1, 2006
Alhambra
Name
Sage
Boat
none
Go spinning, Lamiglass 10’ two piece for the Airlines and 14000 class Shimano. You can cast a 3 oz jig a country mile and never get a backlash. If you have to have casting rod Shimano Trinidad 20 is a good option. Lamiglass GSB rods are what the East Coast people use but they are expensive. A 10’ two piece meets the length maximum for the Alaska Airlines.

Last edited:

bas13

May 22, 2009
Southern California
Name
bas13
Boat
Looking
I fish quite a bit down that way (mostly Pacific side some East side). Most are using spinning reels, I use 55# power pro max quatro (25% thinner / more capacity), and top shot of 60# Flouro. The rod I use is 13'. Jansen's tackle in CSL (next to Walmart), good info / reports. His prices on lures and rods are good. Some big fish off the beach with teeth. So cool to hook into a big one. bk
This summer I will staying at the Grand Solmar, Rancho San Lucas. I think I'll be in prime area. Have you fished that area? It is west Diamante Resort.

rrocco

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 1, 2012
Corona
Name
Robert
Boat
sheworthy
As the others have stated, fast spinning reels and long rods are the ticket, but I guess it depends what you are comfortable with and how you'll be fishing (lures/bait). I myself find it very awkward to work a popper/ topwater/ jig in the surf with a casting/conventional long rod setup. You will be in a great spot but note the surf can be very rough on that side- be careful. If its early summer you may be lucky to run into sierra mackerel, so bring some steel leader if you start getting bit off. I'm sure you'll be fine whichever setup you choose. Have fun!

Reactions: bas13

al120hp

Sep 19, 2015
pa
Name
al
Boat
searay amberjack
I use a Stella 14,000 50lb powerpro, 60lb fluro topshot and a 12 ft Janesn travel surf rod. Check Janesn out on Amazon Prime. They sell a few things there.

No Cal Lou

No Cal Lou
Oct 1, 2009
Green Valley, Az
Name
Lou Salatich
Boat
none
This summer I will staying at the Grand Solmar, Rancho San Lucas. I think I'll be in prime area. Have you fished that area? It is west Diamante Resort.
The hotel security will make you stay away from the water line. All the hotels on that side are terrified that someone will drown as there have been numerous.

909MARIO

Jun 30, 2011
Rancho Cucamonga
Name
Mario
Boat
CABO 226 (Yamaha F250)
Check out Steven Jansen. Local cabo guide. His lures are great! The Cabo Killer will cast a mile and so do his other lures found on Amazon for sale. Plus they catch just about everything down there. I use the 10' Okuma Nomad spinning rod with the Azores 65 reel filled with 65# braid with short 60# floor leaders. Favorite lure is Cabo killer in silver pink. He has a YouTube channel with many videos. check em out
https://www.youtube.com/user/JansenTackle

Reactions: fishin_kid

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Spinner. Trust us.

Or level wind conventional that will be buttery for 1-2 days. Just a few grains of course sand and its felt.

No matter how careful a person is while drinking keg beer on the beach. Thier cup will have sand in it.