spoon man

It’s all smoke and mirrors
  • Jul 20, 2012
    Olympia, wa
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    22' Alumaweld
    Ok ladies and gents I’m going to Cabo in mid March! Never been so this will all be new to me. I’m looking for recommendations on fishing charters down there from anyone that’s ever been? It looks as if its swordfish and marlin time so that’s probably what we will chase and then maybe a snapper/ grouper trip as well. There will be 6 of us on the boat. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    Sailfish not sword.. 😜

partially budget dependent…

If you want a company and a fleet that you can book before you get there and want a nice boat and willing to pay for it….. Picante Fleet has a lot of nice boats that are clean and seem to be well kept. A lot of Cabo yachts… I would stay flexible and tell them you want to catch fish and will go with what’s biting best when you’re there…

Pisces Fleet is older boats and a well established family in Cabo with real estate company, shops and many business ventures around..

Otherwise you gotta show up and walk the docks in the afternoon around 2:00-3:00 and talk with boat captains as they come in… Watch out for all the hustlers that will holler out “you want to go fishing?” When you lock eyes and say yes, they start walking around with you trying to sell you a fishing trip, so they can get a commission for bringing you to a boat… They may not even know the boat, but it’s kind of an unw

If they are not on the boat affiliated directly with the boat, they are just hoping to get a random commission…

I have never had good luck bottom fishing out of Cabo. Grouper…. I don’t think so…

Have fun!

Upvote 0

spoon man

• Jul 20, 2012
    Olympia, wa
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    22' Alumaweld
    Thanks for the response. According to a couple different charters down there they had mentioned swordfish as a species to target. Either way I’ll be there for 10 days and just looking for boats that people have fished on and had a good experience. Thanks

Upvote 0

Gary C

Jul 6, 2014
    Yelm
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    21 NW Jet Boat
    Ok ladies and gents I’m going to Cabo in mid March! Never been so this will all be new to me. I’m looking for recommendations on fishing charters down there from anyone that’s ever been? It looks as if its swordfish and marlin time so that’s probably what we will chase and then maybe a snapper/ grouper trip as well. There will be 6 of us on the boat. Thanks in advance.
    I have fished with Nicolas Villa who owns his own boat down there & is a long time local & is very reasonably priced. We've fished with 2-4 people though, & probably wouldn't fish with more than 4 as it's a 30' Topaz. We've fished with him about 6 times & caught Striped Marlin each time, a few dorado & a sailfish once. He loves to target primarily marlin. From what I know for March, it would be primarily striped marlin that you'd be most likely to catch, but that's even a little early.
    [email protected]
    or facebook

Nicolas Villa(Mahi Mahi Sportfishing)​

Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
    Sep 15, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    laurence
    Boat
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    Yes, I recommend going to Cabo and going fishing while there. Or go and don’t fish :)

Reactions: Cohoho
    Upvote 0

wa_docholliday

doc holliday
    Jul 11, 2013
    Lynnwood,wa
    Name
    Ryan Holliday
    Boat
    doc holliday
    Sailfish not sword.. 😜

partially budget dependent…

If you want a company and a fleet that you can book before you get there and want a nice boat and willing to pay for it….. Picante Fleet has a lot of nice boats that are clean and seem to be well kept. A lot of Cabo yachts… I would stay flexible and tell them you want to catch fish and will go with what’s biting best when you’re there…

Pisces Fleet is older boats and a well established family in Cabo with real estate company, shops and many business ventures around..

Otherwise you gotta show up and walk the docks in the afternoon around 2:00-3:00 and talk with boat captains as they come in… Watch out for all the hustlers that will holler out “you want to go fishing?” When you lock eyes and say yes, they start walking around with you trying to sell you a fishing trip, so they can get a commission for bringing you to a boat… They may not even know the boat, but it’s kind of an unw

If they are not on the boat affiliated directly with the boat, they are just hoping to get a random commission…

I have never had good luck bottom fishing out of Cabo. Grouper…. I don’t think so…

Have fun!

Actually your incorrect that time of year there are swords in cabo

Reactions: Cohoho
    Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    The wife and I got back from our first trip down there last Sunday, I used Mahi Sport Fishing, prices were reasonable and the captains know their shit. Both of my trips were scheduled right when the hurricane winds were going to blow so the evening we landed I texted Sergio at 9:30 and booked a Panga for the very next morning and got lucky, I was able to reschedule my two other trips but the fishing sucked so I’m glad I did the first day!

D7A6BFC4-7096-4AC9-A550-5F6D9B817E84.jpeg

521FE8C9-CC00-40A8-B29E-D995E009D188.png

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Actually your incorrect that time of year there are swords in cabo
    Yes, but they are illegal for gringos to spear in Mexico… and not a target species like Sails and Marlin… Rod and reel swords are rare in Cabo…

it would be very rare to find a charter equipped and selling sword trips if at all… 😜

billfish… everywhere… Grays Taxidermy on speed dial… Swords… not so much…

26F3C7E3-504E-47C4-A798-600C2CFCAC9D.png

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Upvote 0

spoon man

• Jul 20, 2012
    Olympia, wa
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    22' Alumaweld
    Ok ok I think we get it that I won’t be targeting swordfish! Anyone else have anything related to my original question that’s been down there? Just looking for recommendations. Thanks 🖕🏻

Reactions: RodRage
    Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    Ok ok I think we get it that I won’t be targeting swordfish! Anyone else have anything related to my original question that’s been down there? Just looking for recommendations. Thanks 🖕🏻
    We did the off-road adventure in ATV’s and the gals swam with dolphins, The restaurant cooked my catch seven different ways plus ceviche. Good luck on your trip🤙

E5D476F2-694D-4816-8138-0C736CA7386B.jpeg

21DBDD91-94DB-421E-83C6-AA0E80C42F56.jpeg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0