TailWhip

Feb 5, 2016
Carlsbad, CA
Name
TailWhip
Boat
2007 Parker 2320
SeaHawk,

Along with nice Live Well modification, did you eery consider the possibility of cutting through the side walls of the wells into the old battery compartment and making the entire unit one big tank? That would make it about 20 gallons and with your modification free the fish to swim in a LARGE circular pattern. Since relocating the batteries to the seat counsel, that old battery compartment is now used as a trash can and would be better used as an extended live well.

Any thoughts on this?

Last edited:
Reactions: 909MARIO
Upvote 0

localboy59

localboy59
Sep 6, 2010
La Mesa, CA. USA
Name
Bo Ojeda
Boat
Cabo 216
First off thank you all and especially bparker1225 for all of the good info. I just bought a 1988 Cabo 216 that I'm sure most of you have seen for sale in Arizona. My wife and I drove to Prescott Valley, AZ to pick it up. It really is as clean as it looked in the photos. It still has all of the standard issued equipment plus a 1991 Yamaha 200 hp that is running strong and smooth. I am concerned about what some of you have written about the location of battery compartment. I would love to get together with some of you and learn more about these awesome boats. Also, I'm attaching some pics with hull and CF #s in hope of getting some more history other than the folder of receipts I was given by the seller.

IMG_0031.JPG IMG_0081.JPG IMG_0053.JPG IMG_0082.JPG

Upvote 0

SeaHawk IV

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 15, 2008
United States of America
Name
A
Boat
SeaHawk,

Along with nice Live Well modification, did you eery consider the possibility of cutting through the side walls of the wells into the old battery compartment and making the entire unit one big tank? That would make it about 20 gallons and with your modification free the fish to swim in a LARGE circular pattern. Since relocating the batteries to the seat counsel, that old battery compartment is now used as a trash can and would be better used as an extended live well.

Any thoughts on this?

Just saw your post.

It has crossed my mind to eliminate the battery compartment and open the sides to allow bait to flow through to each livewell. But I quickly disregarded that thought.
I believe it would cause injury to the finbait when the boat is under way. Bait fish naturally mill in a circular motion. With the battery compartment sides opened up, the bait would bump into the edges of the opened sides and cause injury to the bait. Especially since the battery compartment bottom is higher than the two livewell bottom by several inches. At least that's my opinion.

The location of the batteries appears to be okay in the battery compartment. Boat performance seems to be fine in all conditions. Having the Permatrim, large trim tabs and ideal propeller seems to help level the boat and get on plane quickly.

Upvote 0

Fire2go

Squib It!
Aug 8, 2011
Riverside, Ca
Name
Jim
Boat
216 Cabo Cuddy Con "Squib It"
First off thank you all and especially bparker1225 for all of the good info. I just bought a 1988 Cabo 216 that I'm sure most of you have seen for sale in Arizona. My wife and I drove to Prescott Valley, AZ to pick it up. It really is as clean as it looked in the photos. It still has all of the standard issued equipment plus a 1991 Yamaha 200 hp that is running strong and smooth. I am concerned about what some of you have written about the location of battery compartment. I would love to get together with some of you and learn more about these awesome boats. Also, I'm attaching some pics with hull and CF #s in hope of getting some more history other than the folder of receipts I was given by the seller.

View attachment 798182 View attachment 798184 View attachment 798185 View attachment 798188

Congrats on the Cabo Purchase!!!!!

I left one battery in the back compartment for just starting purposes and then put (4) 6 volts under the seating area.

Upvote 0

Fire2go

Squib It!
Aug 8, 2011
Riverside, Ca
Name
Jim
Boat
216 Cabo Cuddy Con "Squib It"
I actually put together a website for the Cabo owners to communicate. it finally will actually be live in a week. westcoastcabo.com
Look forward to having all of the owners get together someday!!!!!
Jim

Reactions: 909MARIO
Upvote 0

localboy59

localboy59
Sep 6, 2010
La Mesa, CA. USA
Name
Bo Ojeda
Boat
Cabo 216
Congrats on the Cabo Purchase!!!!!

I left one battery in the back compartment for just starting purposes and then put (4) 6 volts under the seating area.
I actually put together a website for the Cabo owners to communicate. it finally will actually be live in a week. westcoastcabo.com
Look forward to having all of the owners get together someday!!!!!
Jim

Thank you Jim, If you make that happen I'll be there!

Upvote 0

forefrazier

Captain
Jun 14, 2007
OC
Name
Steve Frazier
Boat
Cabo 226
Upvote 0

forefrazier

Captain
Jun 14, 2007
OC
Name
Steve Frazier
Boat
Cabo 226
I know where the 216 batt boxes are but trying to understand if I am missing something on my 226? There is a "shelf" mounted to the transom on my boat but i have had the shelf fail twice when running offshore having two batteries on it. Obviously there is too much weight so looking to relocate at least the house batt to a new location.

Upvote 0

Halibut Howie

1987 Cabo 216
May 22, 2003
San Diego
Name
Halibut Howie
Boat
2004 Sailfish 2100 Bay Boat and 1987 Cabo216
I relocated 3 batteries into the cuddy's port-a-potty's hole. The extra weight forward causing these positives. Also replaced the two 20 gal bait tanks with an above deck 30 gal Offshore bait tank. I moor my boat and the standard below deck bait tanks do not fully drain because 1/2 of each tank is below the water level.

1. Do not need trim tabs. My 2004 F150 Yamaha motor does it alone.
2. Extra weight forward causes less bounce off a gnarly sea. Improves the steering and solid feeling while plowing though the waves.
3. Allows for extra "secret" storage in the battery and 2 bait tank compartments and keeps the seating area free for additional storage.
4. Allows for a cooler to be placed on top of one bait tank and a storage box built upon the other. I take the fish or filets home in this 36 qt cooler.
5. Takes the concern away why Cabo went bankrupt in the 1st place. A successful law suit against a Cabo 216 that sank killing 3 people due to the battery compartment getting flooded and thus not being able to start the motor to get out of harms way. I relocated the batteries into the cuddy back in 2004 with zero side effects as of today just the positives above.

What a great thread this is to help and introduce people to this marvelously designed Southern Californian boat of the past. Why pay $30+ for a similar boat when you can own a piece of California's boating history for $10k or less in it's original condition. These solid boats are 30 years old now and their appeal is only growing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Errin
Upvote 0

Halibut Howie

1987 Cabo 216
May 22, 2003
San Diego
Name
Halibut Howie
Boat
2004 Sailfish 2100 Bay Boat and 1987 Cabo216
I posted it many times in the past. The 1st major one was when I rewired and relocated the batteries into the cuddy with how I accomplished that feat some time in 2005 or there about. Not easy. Also I believe I'm the only person on this earth that has done that. Most relocate their batteries into the center seating area.

Other times when replacing the bait tanks first with a 65 gal Offshore tank (too big) then replacing it with a 30 gal tank (perfect). Other times on its 20 or 25 year old birthday, when installing a bow trolling motor and windlass. Also many times with fish pics. However, all the pics were on Photobucket which I have since deleted. So the write-ups might still be there if I did not erase them as well.

But when I get back from Hilo next week I'll take a bunch of new pics for it's upcoming 30th birthday.

I've got one of the 1st Cabo216 manufactured thus baby sat through the production line by the marine architect who designed it. He died before its introduction at the 1987 Boat Show at Del Mar where I first saw it. It was all by itself in the middle of the room, like a shinny white beacon calling me. I had a long talk with the owner about the boat and his buddy the marine architect. As an engineer by trade I was impressed with its fit and finish and redundancy of necessary items. I could not afford it then but bought one finally in 2003 without even telling my wife. "If you do not like the answer, do not ask the question".

Note: since I moor my boat the 3-batteries in the cuddy allow the F150 motor to be completely raised out of the water at rest. Without them in the cuddy part of the motor would be in the water, thus would need to be painted.

Upvote 0

GregorXr

Oct 5, 2012
Temecula
Name
Robin Boyer
Boat
Patients Boat!
I want to see your boat sometime and i want you to see mine. Seems like you really know how to get these things dialed in! I am putting all the new wiring right now steering cable throttle lights everything bait tank.

Upvote 0

Kirk951

May 20, 2016
Canyon Lake
Name
Kirk Lessley
Boat
Grady White 272 Sailfish
Hey Kirk so how's it going with that new motor? Id like to see some pics and a report lol.
Boats been done for a while...Motor has an hour on it. Been to busy to enjoy it. Call me sometime.. Would like to see yours and show someone mine that would appreciate it. I'm running around locally all the time. 951-258-8580

Upvote 0

Corndawg

F/V My Tern
Feb 27, 2004
SD
Name
Corey
Boat
Mako 171 "My Tern" , CABO 216
Hi Bill, thanks for all of the great info. It looks like I am about to embark on a Cabo 216 project. Do you have any info on CF 5783 JT?

Upvote 0

TailWhip

Feb 5, 2016
Carlsbad, CA
Name
TailWhip
Boat
2007 Parker 2320
I think you want to reach Bill Parker. This is Guy Schneider - I live down the street from Bill. He is the Cabo officianado! I just completed my Cabo refurb in May and Bill helped me along the way. Here is my list for you of replacement parts:

Fuel cell - IMCO Marine
TTop - Pacific Yacht Towers
Trim Tabs - Bennett
Prop - Hill Marine
Head Unit - Lowrance

I also took Bill's advice and moved the batteries forward under the front seat.

I am manufacturing the replacement windshields and dash board gage covers. If you need one for your new Cabo project give me a call - 760-519-4238.

Regards,

Guy

Reactions: baja.bound
Upvote 0

Corndawg

F/V My Tern
Feb 27, 2004
SD
Name
Corey
Boat
Thanks Guy. Yes, my post was directed to Bill Parker...

Thanks for the offer. My boat has an essentially brand new windshield, but I may be in touch later on for those gauge covers. They look nice. BTW, your boat looks great.

Upvote 0

oceanski

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 6, 2015
Valley Center
Name
Taylor O
Boat
2003 Davis Bahia
Corndawg, looks you'll be starting the project Cabo that's listed on Craigslist. Looks like a great starting platform. Post some pics of your restoration along the way. Also lots of helpful Cabo owners on this thread that would be happy to help if you have any questions.

Reactions: bparker1225
Upvote 0

Corndawg

F/V My Tern
Feb 27, 2004
SD
Name
Corey
Boat
Thanks Taylor. I will be sure to post my progress. I have found a lot of great information here. I'm excited to get started.

Guy, I do need replacement side windows for the cuddy. Do you make those?

Upvote 0