Carpfisher

Chief Cook & Bottle Washer
Jul 3, 2012
Carpinteria
Name
Paul
Boat
226 Cabo Cuddycon, 16' Bayrunner
Seahawk, you read my mind. I was just about to order Taco 3/8 tall by 5/8 wide stuff. I was wondering if it was gonna be to thick. Doing this for better seal mainly. As for the slamming, Captains gotta tell people to use the knobs and don't/drop the hatches.
Other than the cuddy door if not latched before moving, I have no hatch problems while underway.
I mounted a rubber plug, like the ones to plug the live wells, behind the rear center hatch for when its open.
Looking forward to seeing your boat as mine is a 89 also.

Upvote 0

SeaHawk IV

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 15, 2008
United States of America
Name
A
Boat
The only problem I have with the fish box hatches are several high spot areas mating with the gel coat surface when closed. I didn't want to sand the lip of the hatch so adding the EPDM door seal has helped a lot.

Upvote 0

SeaHawk IV

Jan 15, 2008
United States of America
Name
A
Boat
Here's a few things I've done to the 216 CuddyCon over the years.

Perko LED Fits perfectly at Aft Bench
IMG_1371.JPG

Westmarine 10" Stainless Steel Hatch Spring installed on all Fish Box Hatches
IMG_1372.JPG

Cabin Hatch Spring
20160724_101317[1].jpg

Hasp For Battery Box Lid To Prevent Bouncing and Security When Boat is Unattended at Parking Lot
IMG_1380.JPG

Upgraded Windshield to 3/8" (Mark Plastics Corona, CA made the OEM windshields)
Cabo Photos for Insurance 009.jpg

Cabo Photos for Insurance 045.jpg

Hatch for easy access to fuse panel
Cabo Photos for Insurance 051.jpg

PermaTrim has been great for solid turns at higher speed and faster planning at slower speeds.
IMG_2136.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SeaHawk IV

Jan 15, 2008
United States of America
Name
A
Boat
Fuel Tank Replacement
OEM Tank made by IMCO, San Dimas, CA
105 Gallons @ 1/4" thick

Cabo gas tank replacement 001.jpg

Propping on 4" x 4" lumber for storage while tank replacement in progress. No need to remove from boat.
Cabo gas tank replacement 037.jpg

All Foam Removed

Applied three coats of fiberglass resin.
Cabo gas tank replacement 019.jpg

Applied three coats of Interlux Bilgekote Enamel
Installed two drain holes so water won't get trapped. Plugged on opposite side with drain plugs when boat is on the water. The center tube is the drain channel for the anchor locker and drain in the cabin.
Cabo gas tank replacement 058.jpg

IMCO 105 Gallon Tank made to exact spec as original. I had the mounting tabs upgraded to a thicker material since the original tabs were torn.

Cabo gas tank replacement 011.jpg

Added 3/8" PVC Spacers to elevate belly of tank from touching the center drain channel and to allow better air circulation. The only regret is I should have applied a coat of LineX bed liner for more protectio

Cabo gas tank replacement 056.jpg

Replaced the fuel sender in the pic below to a WEMA fuel sender for reliability and accuracy.
Cabo gas tank replacement 004.jpg
FYI: The fresh bright yellow foam is where the center channel drain begins. The anchor locker 1/2" flex drain line and the 1/2" flex drain line from the cabin yields into the center drain pipe. Mine was poorly sealed so it was a mess with soft foam and smelly dirty stagnant water. I was able to shove both hoses further into the drain pipe and foam seal it in place. The collection of water over the years caused minor water damage to the divider wall but easily repairable in my situation.

If you ever decide to install a anchor winch, bow trolling motor or spot light, the starboard side sidewalk is hollow so wires can be easily fished taped to the bow area. Other than that, it's foam filled from deck level and below.
Cabo gas tank replacement 062.jpg

Upgraded OEM Perko aluminum Deck Fuel Fill to a Stainless Steel.

20160724_115832[1].jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SeaHawk IV

Jan 15, 2008
United States of America
Name
A
Boat
Transom Splash Guard

After many hours of contemplating what's the best solution to keep the boat deck drier, this was my solution and it has been one of the best improvements for this boat in many ways. My goal was to have a utilitarian design.

These were the design templates that I thought would work.

This was the most effective method in keeping most of the water out. Decided against this due to lack of support strength on the inner edge during a strong following swell at drift.
IMG_1773.JPG

Other option was to have a solid board run across the front edge of the live well. This idea was short lived. It would make reaching into the live well scooping bait at the bottom more difficult and pulling the drain plug strenuous. The battery compartment could also get wet inside from constant water splashing. The good aspect of it would be full access to the battery compartment hatch, being able to tilt motor all the way up without removing the board and can add a coaming pad for comfort.

The final decision was to have a board run across the back of the livewell. The positive is the livewell hatch can be used as seating areas, the battery compartment is still accessible but not fully, battery compartment has less exposure to water splashing over it, motor can be tilted partially and board is easy to remove.

IMG_0914.JPG

Constructed with 1/2" King Starboard for backing. 1-1/2" thick guides mounted to the gunnel sides with a 1/4" backing board to allow the board to slide smoothly into place. Added strips of starboard at base for additional rigidity. Installed a flap to cover the battery compartment opening with a SS continuous hinge. Finished it with an aluminum cap and SS barrel bolts on each side. Project took about 3 hours by myself.

Having this additional height at the transom psychologically makes the boat feel more safe. Without it, you see water coming into the splash-well and the transom seems very close to the water line especially when the livewells are in use.

I would guess the boat is about 95% drier than not having this transom board when it gets snotty.

Lastly, the center flap can be folded and the entire transom board can be stored inside the fish hold.
IMG_2125.JPG
IMG_2123.JPG

20150606_194020.jpg
20150606_194044.jpg

These TH Marine Rectangular Scupper works great on incoming swells. Also helps with decreasing the chance of water splashing up on the inside corners of the splash-well. I just glued them on with Boat Life sealant.
20150420_093047.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SeaHawk IV

Jan 15, 2008
United States of America
Name
A
Boat
Modifying livewell for healthier bait.

I've noticed the bait on the port side livewell was getting more beat up than the starboard side.Since I don't use the bait basket, I cut it to the same level as the main opening and sealed the opening with 1/2" Starboard.

Before
IMG_2777.JPG

Cutting with a grinder..
IMG_2779.JPG

IMG_2782.JPG

Finished...

20150828_182514.jpg

I've noticed the sardines are less bruised especially when the conditions is a little rough.

Replaced the OEM livewell lights with these Lumitec LED Livewell lights. Much brighter and inexpensive from WestMarine.
P014295893_FUL.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

oceanski

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 6, 2015
Valley Center
Name
Taylor O
Boat
2003 Davis Bahia
Modifying livewell for healthier bait.

I've noticed the bait on the port side livewell was getting more beat up than the starboard side.Since I don't use the bait basket, I cut it to the same level as the main opening and sealed the opening with 1/2" Starboard.

Before
View attachment 778227

Cutting with a grinder..
View attachment 778228

View attachment 778229

Finished...

View attachment 778230

I've noticed the sardines are less bruised especially when the conditions is a little rough.

Replaced the OEM livewell lights with these Lumitec LED Livewell lights. Much brighter and inexpensive from WestMarine.
P014295893_FUL.jpeg

Thanks for all the detailed descriptions of what you did to your boat. This winter I plan to do the exact same upgrades to my 216. Which trim tabs did you go with?

Upvote 0

SeaHawk IV

Jan 15, 2008
United States of America
Name
A
Boat
I believe they are the 18" x 9" Bennett Trim Tabs. It's been a very reliable system. This system came on the boat but I had to make some modifications. I highly suggest to keep all electrical components mounted inside the cabin behind the helm station to stay dry. After relocating the electronic components, never had a problem since.

You might be able to install a smaller size if you want space for a transom mount transducer.
Trim tabs are very beneficial on these 216 Cuddycons.. Especially if you have an off balance load or swells quartering the bow.

Upvote 0

Carpfisher

Jul 3, 2012
Carpinteria
Name
Paul
Boat
Thank you so much Al. Love the interior with hatch and carpeting.
Added to list
Hatch springs, great idea, specially for the Cuddy.
Not sure if I have room for the rectangular scupper covers.
A+ X2 on the trim tabs and balancing out the load.

Upvote 0

Kirk951

May 20, 2016
Canyon Lake
Name
Kirk Lessley
Boat
Grady White 272 Sailfish
Loaded the boat up with fuel and loaded the bait tanks with water. Three big guys on the lake top out at 49 miles per hour at 5200 RPM. Gets out of the hole in a hurry.
In Bali for a couple of weeks for my daughter's wedding then I'll give you a call and you can come by and check it out. Should top out about 51 after I put a few hours on it. Ocean end of next week

Reactions: R&R
Upvote 0

J.C.

Run what ya Brung
May 20, 2012
Wa
Name
Justin
Boat
18' aluminum
Ok, so I don't know how many of these boats made it to Washington but I have been eyeing one that has been sitting in a field for several years. Cuddy con 226 with yami 175 and 9.9. I assume re power. Last tabbed 2011. What's a fair offer. It's seems solid enough for sitting outside so long. What red flags should I look for. Is it possible I could fire that 175 up and run it a while or total waste of time? The old boy that owned it passed away some years back and his wife is willing to sell but for a little more than I would want to pay for a project. She's a sweetheart and I don't want to lowball her though. I'll try to load pics

Upvote 0

Carpfisher

Jul 3, 2012
Carpinteria
Name
Paul
Boat
Pics ?, How much ? What year ? Wiring, tank, cushions/upolstery, trailer, T top ?
electronics, windlass, tabs ? Leaking steering, OE helm ?Sitting outside uncovered ? Maybe a red flag right there?
Many things affect price.....ask Bill about serial number, maybe he can tell you some history .

Upvote 0

J.C.

Run what ya Brung
May 20, 2012
Wa
Name
Justin
Boat
18' aluminum
Well I give up trying to post the pics I figured would have answered these questions from my iPhone. No electronics to speak of, no windless, no t top. Pretty bare bones. Decent upholstery and everything under the floor looked surprisingly good. My thought is buying the hull and starting from scratch. It looks just like yours, the name on the side is "ye ol snatcher" out of riverside Kali. Didn't get good enough pics to make out the serial number. She through a number out 5000. My thought was 2000 for the hull and trailer, both need some love. I don't really care about the 2 stroke but I'm sure she sees some value there which I dont, maybe I should? Im not familiar with these older yami 2 strokes, not sure I wanna be. Say that thing has sat for five years, I assume it's not worth messing with, not that I know. I've always had I/Os. Does that seem unreasonable? It's really a cool looking project. I don't know why I obsess over rescuing old boats. It's a sickness

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
Well I give up trying to post the pics I figured would have answered these questions from my iPhone. No electronics to speak of, no windless, no t top. Pretty bare bones. Decent upholstery and everything under the floor looked surprisingly good. My thought is buying the hull and starting from scratch. It looks just like yours, the name on the side is "ye ol snatcher" out of riverside Kali. Didn't get good enough pics to make out the serial number. She through a number out 5000. My thought was 2000 for the hull and trailer, both need some love. I don't really care about the 2 stroke but I'm sure she sees some value there which I dont, maybe I should? Im not familiar with these older yami 2 strokes, not sure I wanna be. Say that thing has sat for five years, I assume it's not worth messing with, not that I know. I've always had I/Os. Does that seem unreasonable? It's really a cool looking project. I don't know why I obsess over rescuing old boats. It's a sickness
Depending upon year and hours, Yamaha two strokes can be resurrected and are extremely reliable. At the minimum, new fuel lines, carb clean or rebuild, probably some rubber pieces, gear oil change, others I'm not thinking of.

Reactions: J.C.
Upvote 0

Kirk951

May 20, 2016
Canyon Lake
Name
Kirk Lessley
Boat
Grady White 272 Sailfish
Depending upon year and hours, Yamaha two strokes can be resurrected and are extremely reliable. At the minimum, new fuel lines, carb clean or rebuild, probably some rubber pieces, gear oil change, others I'm not thinking of.
B.O.A.T...Break Out Another Thousand.. I bought a 1990 226 with trailer about 3 months ago for $2500.. had a 200hp with 1000 hrs. Could of put a couple of thousand in it and used it.. Not me... I'm in over $35k but have basically a new boat with all the goodies.. It's all about the budget. I have a tank I pulled out of mine that is in pretty good shape if someone needs one.

Upvote 0

Mike_I

May 19, 2006
Irvine
Name
Mike_I
Boat
Cabo 216 First Love
My original 175 has over 2200 hours on it and is still going strong.

Upvote 0

jim isbell

Jun 25, 2015
Anaheim, CA
Name
Jim Isbell
Boat
19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha
Just picked this beauty up for $2500.
May dump $25k into it for a 250 Etec and electronics. Do you think this boat is good for tuna and Catalina runs?

View attachment 763844
I don't know HOW you got it at that price, I really don't. Re. your question, no, this boat is only good for small lakes----NOT. I fish with a friend on his, one of the nicest offshore, trailerable boats I have ever fished on. One key thing my friend did, was relocated the batteries from the stern up to midship. The one danger these old Cabos had was a following sea dumping water on the batteries--in fact, the case that basically bankrupted the company involved fatalities as I recall due to this one problem. Fix that, and with your new engine--or used engine, you will no doubt have a very cool boat, just say it looks great as it sits.

Upvote 0

Guy Schneider

Feb 5, 2016
Carlsbad, CA
Name
TailWhip
Boat
2007 Parker 2320
Hi guys.

I am a new 1987 Cabo216 owner here in Carlsbad (neighbor of Bill's) with a partner who has a plastics and fiberglass manufacturing shop. We purchased the boat from a guy in NorCal and have done the following work: new fuel cell (IMCO), relocated batteries under the drivers seat, new SS prop (HillMarine), trim tabs, new electronics (Lowrance HDS) with Airmar B75M through hull transducer, new gauges, new T-Top from PYT, new bait and wash-down pumps. The boat came with a new 2005 Evinrude 200, two unused Canon down riggers and a guardrail around the cockpit (didn't like at first but now I wouldn't fish without it). Been fishing it all summer, learning and loving the boat. Boarded a 45lb BF last week at the 181.

We are in the process of cutting and bending a new windshield for the boat and curious to know if anyone else out there is on the market for a new shield. They are identical to the OEM product and we can make more if there is a demand.

We are also contemplating a radical design change to the center seat console and wondered what you all thought as experienced owners. The idea is to take the OEM seat console (that weighs about 400 lbs) out and completely redesign it so that 1) the front seat is a 2 person lean post and better positioned to a more forward position for use while driving (my feet and back are taking a pounding), 2) the lean post would have a small enclosed storage space underneath for batteries and bumpers, 3) the back seat, cooler beneath, tackle cabinet, and lower storage area is ALL removed from the console and converted into a simplified platform that has a single 20-25 gal circular/oval bait well on one side with an optional tackle cabinet/single person flip chair on the other. While doing so we can move the entire console forward about a 1-1 1/2 feet thereby adding a 12-18 inches of precious fishing space to the cockpit.

My thought is then to decommission the the OEM bait wells and simply turn them into drink coolers to replace the lost cooler in the center seat console.

While our bait tanks work great and keep a 1/2 scoop alive for 3/4 of a day - they are of course a bit small for a full scoop and if you make bait with a handful of macks you risk crowding and killing your bait in the OEM tanks. Also, I dont need that giant cooler. We think the general configuration of the center seat console can be significantly improved making the boat even more fishy.

Let me know your thoughts. Would this be something others are interested in?

Regards,

Guy
TailWhip

Reactions: bparker1225
Upvote 0

Mike_I

May 19, 2006
Irvine
Name
Mike_I
Boat
Cabo 216 First Love
I'm selling a smoked windshield I took off my boat for $325 if your'e interested.

We are in the process of cutting and bending a new windshield for the boat and curious to know if anyone else out there is on the market for a new shield. They are identical to the OEM product and we can make more if there is a demand.

Upvote 0

Guy Schneider

Feb 5, 2016
Carlsbad, CA
Name
TailWhip
Boat
2007 Parker 2320
New Cabo Windshields For Sale

We have completed the first run of new windshields for the Cabo Cuddy Con and are now taking orders. We can make them in Clear or in Tinted Smoke. They are a perfect OEM fit beautifully crafted by Diversified Manufacturing in San Marcos, CA (760) 599-9280.

Product is New, no scratches, no nicks, crystal clear. Clear = $385. Tinted = $400. This price does not include spacers, screws or the rubber grommets (you can take all of these off your old shield), or shipping.

Call me and let me know if you are interested.

Regards,

Guy Schneider
760-519-4238
TailWhip (Cabo216)

IMG_0043.JPG
IMG_0042.JPG
IMG_0041.JPG
IMG_0048.JPG
IMG_0049.JPG
IMG_0040.JPG

Upvote 0

GregorXr

Oct 5, 2012
Temecula
Name
Robin Boyer
Boat
Patients Boat!
Hey socal cabo owners whst shop do you use in the oceanside Carlsbad Encinitas area? Sd? Thank you for any reccomendations.

Upvote 0

bparker1225

Ocean Addiction
Sep 27, 2004
Leucadia/Los Zacatitos
Name
Bill Parker
Boat
21' 6" Cabo-Cabo Bill
I have had very good luck and have been very satisfied with Sea Witch Marine. They are honest and straight foward.
This goes back to the 80's.when I owned Johnson's on my Boston Whalers. Bill Burgess in sales is a great guy.
Feel free to pm me.

Upvote 0