Carpfisher

Chief Cook & Bottle Washer
Jul 3, 2012
Carpinteria
Name
Paul
Boat
226 Cabo Cuddycon, 16' Bayrunner
OK. Lets talk Cabo winch stands.....One of the last things I need to dial in is my winch stand / bow stop set up.
The one that came on my 226 has been a pain to say the least. No matter how I adjust, anchor catches a tiny bit launching, worse, landing is getting the nose of the bow up and over the roller. Time for a total re-do.
If you love your winch stand and the ease of solo launch and loading with it, please post a pic or two. Bonus if you can direct me where to buy.
If it's easier to send pics to my phone, PM me for number. Thanks
Paul

Upvote 0

SeaHawk IV

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 15, 2008
United States of America
Name
A
Boat
Screenshot_20211122-184654_Chrome.jpg

The trailer winch mount that holds the bow roller and winch needs to be replaced with a suitable design. During low tide at certain launch ramps like MDR, the bow anchor roller hits the bow roller.

I've been thinking about replacing the trailer winch post and winch mount to a double bow roller style. Haven't come across a dealer that sells it locally.

I've moved the winch post fore and aft to no avail.

Upvote 0

Jake Minnehan

May 7, 2017
San Clemente
Name
No name
Boat
None
So you knowingly bought a boat that didn't run? I hope you got a great deal on it!
Nooo, it was running when I bought it. But went through it to do some normal maintenance and found a couple sheared bolts in the thermostat housing. Then things just escalated very quickly from there.

Upvote 0

rustman

Aug 4, 2005
Irvine, Ca
Name
Rusty
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddy-Con
Nooo, it was running when I bought it. But went through it to do some normal maintenance and found a couple sheared bolts in the thermostat housing. Then things just escalated very quickly from there.
Man that blows, again I hope your purchase price already considered a repower. My new Honda BF-150 with gages, controls, cables, hydraulic steering ram and SS Prop was around $15k and I did all rigging myself. I bought the boat knowing I would completely re-fit the entire boat so I would not offer anything more that I knew what the boat would be worth when completed.

Upvote 0

Jake Minnehan

May 7, 2017
San Clemente
Name
No name
Boat
None
Other than Armstrong, has anyone used a different company for a bracket? What company did you go with? Cost? Turnaround time?

I want to get a full transom bracket made for my 226 to replace the factory bracket.

Upvote 0

Carpfisher

Chief Cook & Bottle Washer
Jul 3, 2012
Carpinteria
Name
Paul
Boat
226 Cabo Cuddycon, 16' Bayrunner
Try Sea Mount Marine Products
C. L. Mattson & Co
In Tampa 813 248 8265
Tornn put one on his 216 that came out nice.

My non full Armstrong is nice but was expensive. Be sure you mount it at the right height. May depend on the weight of your repower.

Thanks Rustman, yours looks nice but the 226 pulpit is my issue. I've seen some pics, I'll figure it out this winter along with a couple other things.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jake Minnehan

May 7, 2017
San Clemente
Name
No name
Boat
None
Well, little update on how things are going on my Cabo 226. I sold that Yamaha 200 2 stroke that I butchered a bunch of head bolts on.

Just put my deposit down today for a new Yamaha LF200XB. Getting that on January 3rd with new gauges, binnacle, cables and ignition switch.

Also got my fuel tank out today. It was original from IMCO and made in ‘89. It was pretty toast around the stringers and bottom edges. Tons of pitting and was just waiting to start leaking. Pretty happy I ended up pulling it. That foam is no joke though! Probably should have worn a respirator!

When I pulled the tank, it’s just a straight up rectangle. I thought they had a bit of V- taper that sat down onto the bottom of the hull and tagged down onto the tops of the stringers? I have a glassed flat base with 3 vent holes and the bottom hull is filled up with foam and also trapped water😡

Is this how the 226 came from the factory? Any recommendations about the foam and water under the tank? Should I cut out the glass and get a bigger tank made?

1027F43B-764A-449C-8AB7-C03CDE02745A.jpeg

13B6A0FB-BBDD-495F-BF76-9D1B74B0D661.jpeg

E67AA0B6-5E09-4A05-BD8B-7FE73A3ED263.jpeg

5CC79836-D2BE-42E1-8A64-3D155526CD6E.jpeg

561323F3-C022-4681-9902-8A002D9663DA.jpeg

95DE7F86-B6FA-4B5B-9DC4-58D3F510C607.jpeg

6504324B-0CCF-4F27-B00D-05F3A00F3857.jpeg

Upvote 0

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Well, little update on how things are going on my Cabo 226. I sold that Yamaha 200 2 stroke that I butchered a bunch of head bolts on.

Just put my deposit down today for a new Yamaha LF200XB. Getting that on January 3rd with new gauges, binnacle, cables and ignition switch.

Also got my fuel tank out today. It was original from IMCO and made in ‘89. It was pretty toast around the stringers and bottom edges. Tons of pitting and was just waiting to start leaking. Pretty happy I ended up pulling it. That foam is no joke though! Probably should have worn a respirator!

When I pulled the tank, it’s just a straight up rectangle. I thought they had a bit of V- taper that sat down onto the bottom of the hull and tagged down onto the tops of the stringers? I have a glassed flat base with 3 vent holes and the bottom hull is filled up with foam and also trapped water😡

Is this how the 226 came from the factory? Any recommendations about the foam and water under the tank? Should I cut out the glass and get a bigger tank made?

View attachment 1339692

View attachment 1339693

View attachment 1339694

View attachment 1339695

View attachment 1339696

View attachment 1339697

View attachment 1339698
How many gallons is your tank? Mine is 110 and straddles the stringers. If you're going to do it go all in as I don't know anyone who hates additional fuel capacity.

IMG_5332.jpg

IMG_2788.jpg

IMG_2789.jpg

Upvote 0

Jake Minnehan

May 7, 2017
San Clemente
Name
No name
Boat
None
How many gallons is your tank? Mine is 110 and straddles the stringers. If you're going to do it go all in as I don't know anyone who hates additional fuel capacity.

View attachment 1339699

View attachment 1339700

View attachment 1339701
It’s 120 gallons. Based on LxWxH. The IMCO sticker is pretty shot and can’t read the numbers on it. I just wonder what other people’s factory fuel tank looks like on the 226. If I cut out that platform and laid it straight to the hull and stringers, that would be a pretty good amount of extra fuel!! Which I wouldn’t mind!

Upvote 0

gearshifter

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 18, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Andy
    Boat
    Cabo 226

View attachment 1339692

View attachment 1339693

View attachment 1339694

View attachment 1339695

View attachment 1339696

View attachment 1339697

View attachment 1339698
    I’m waiting next winter to do mine.

Upvote 0

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
    Jax Beach
    Name
    Erik Batsford
    Boat
    Cabo 216 Cuddycon
    It’s 120 gallons. Based on LxWxH. The IMCO sticker is pretty shot and can’t read the numbers on it. I just wonder what other people’s factory fuel tank looks like on the 226. If I cut out that platform and laid it straight to the hull and stringers, that would be a pretty good amount of extra fuel!! Which I wouldn’t mind!
    I always thought the 216 and the 226 were identical hulls other than the bow pulpit and the bracket. It's probably in this thread somewhere but maybe others can chime in. I wouldn't want that false bottom filled with foam either.

Reactions: Jake Minnehan
    Upvote 0

Jake Minnehan

May 7, 2017
    San Clemente
    Name
    No name
    Boat
    None
    B.O.A.T...Break Out Another Thousand.. I bought a 1990 226 with trailer about 3 months ago for $2500.. had a 200hp with 1000 hrs. Could of put a couple of thousand in it and used it.. Not me... I'm in over $35k but have basically a new boat with all the goodies.. It's all about the budget. I have a tank I pulled out of mine that is in pretty good shape if someone needs one.
    Hi guys.

I am a new 1987 Cabo216 owner here in Carlsbad (neighbor of Bill's) with a partner who has a plastics and fiberglass manufacturing shop. We purchased the boat from a guy in NorCal and have done the following work: new fuel cell (IMCO), relocated batteries under the drivers seat, new SS prop (HillMarine), trim tabs, new electronics (Lowrance HDS) with Airmar B75M through hull transducer, new gauges, new T-Top from PYT, new bait and wash-down pumps. The boat came with a new 2005 Evinrude 200, two unused Canon down riggers and a guardrail around the cockpit (didn't like at first but now I wouldn't fish without it). Been fishing it all summer, learning and loving the boat. Boarded a 45lb BF last week at the 181.

We are in the process of cutting and bending a new windshield for the boat and curious to know if anyone else out there is on the market for a new shield. They are identical to the OEM product and we can make more if there is a demand.

We are also contemplating a radical design change to the center seat console and wondered what you all thought as experienced owners.
    The idea is to take the OEM seat console (that weighs about 400 lbs) out and completely redesign it so that 1) the front seat is a 2 person lean post and better positioned to a more forward position for use while driving (my feet and back are taking a pounding), 2) the lean post would have a small enclosed storage space underneath for batteries and bumpers, 3) the back seat, cooler beneath, tackle cabinet, and lower storage area is ALL removed from the console and converted into a simplified platform that has a single 20-25 gal circular/oval bait well on one side with an optional tackle cabinet/single person flip chair on the other. While doing so we can move the entire console forward about a 1-1 1/2 feet thereby adding a 12-18 inches of precious fishing space to the cockpit.

My thought is then to decommission the the OEM bait wells and simply turn them into drink coolers to replace the lost cooler in the center seat console.

While our bait tanks work great and keep a 1/2 scoop alive for 3/4 of a day - they are of course a bit small for a full scoop and if you make bait with a handful of macks you risk crowding and killing your bait in the OEM tanks. Also, I dont need that giant cooler. We think the general configuration of the center seat console can be significantly improved making the boat even more fishy.

Let me know your thoughts. Would this be something others are interested in?

Regards,

Guy
    TailWhip
    Did you ever modify the rear seat to this lean post idea? Ive been spit balling the idea with some buddies recently for my 226.

Upvote 0

rustman

Aug 4, 2005
    Irvine, Ca
    Name
    Rusty
    Boat
    1986 Cabo 216 Cuddy-Con
    This is a picture of my new IMCO tank which is identical to my old "Original" tank which is 95 gals.

You can see it has a "v" shape. The original tank was set on top of a bed of foam and the fuel tank placement area had no drainage between the forward bulk head and aft bulk head and could trap water that would soak the foam.

Look closely at the pictures and you can see that before I installed the new tank, I glassed in 3/4" PVC drain tubes that will allow any water to drain from the front of the boat to the transom bilge.

The other modification I made to the new tank is. I had IMCO weld 1/4" "L" channel the complete length of the tank on both sides that will allow the "L" channel to sit directly on top of the stringers on both sides.

The "L" channel was welded to my new tank in a position that will leave a 1/2" gap between the hull and bottom of the tank so I would not have to install foam under the tank and have clean flow through for water as well as good circulation for air 360 degrees around the fuel cell.

20190211_214205.jpg

20190218_095247.jpg

20190218_095302.jpg

20190218_135205.jpg

Reactions: Errin
    Upvote 0