Upvote 0

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
It is one of the less desirable years...

Upvote 0

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
I'm going to need to see numbers and pics of how that sits in the water as it's the closest to my set up as I've seen. Haven't committed to a motor yet but a 300 seems plausible.
Hustler
Pretty heavy motor to be sitting that far back on a bracket...

My Armstrong provides 300lbs of positive floatation. If you get it mounted at the right height it'll compensate and work perfectly. I figure my worst case scenario for weight would be a 200 four stroke but I'm thinking if the center of balance is right and the bracket is right a 300 isn't out of the question. Wonder how the boat would handle at 60mph...

Upvote 0

Errin

Snorkeler
Jun 22, 2015
Santa Barbara
Name
Errin
Boat
Cabo 216
Your range just went from over 300 miles to under 200 so you can go 50 knots on the few days it's actually clean enough to do it?

LOL

Upvote 0

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Your range just went from over 300 miles to under 200 so you can go 50 knots on the few days it's actually clean enough to do it?

LOL
We have a lot of flat days here and this thing called the Intracoastal waterway plus the St. Johns river to play around on. Plenty of opportunity to stretch your legs on any given day.

As for fuel consumption, it's going from a 2 stroke to a 4, and I don't think there is that much difference between a 250 and a 300 at cruise.

We also have rather nasty pop up thunderstorms in the summer and it's best to outrun them if you can. Sometimes the difference in being stuck in a storm or getting home is 3-5 mph.

Upvote 0

Errin

Snorkeler
Jun 22, 2015
Santa Barbara
Name
Errin
Boat
Cabo 216
That comment was directed more at Gearshifter but regardless putting a 300 on the back of a Cabo 216/226 is like lifting your truck 3 feet IMO.

I don't have endless amounts of money so I'm speaking from a more practical perspective. I still have a 175 2-stroke on mine and it fuckin' flies so putting any more horses back there just doesn't make sense to me.

To each their own tho, so have at it

Reactions: Hox57
Upvote 0

rustman

Aug 4, 2005
Irvine, Ca
Name
Rusty
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddy-Con
That comment was directed more at Gearshifter but regardless putting a 300 on the back of a Cabo 216/226 is like lifting your truck 3 feet IMO.

I don't have endless amounts of money so I'm speaking from a more practical perspective. I still have a 175 2-stroke on mine and it fuckin' flies so putting any more horses back there just doesn't make sense to me.

To each their own tho, so have at it
Erin and Ron I find that every time Lifeislarge asks for someone's opinion, he really doesn't want your opinion or suggestions. He already knows what he wants to do and just wants someone to validate. When you don't validate he has every reason under the stars why he is correct.

My 216 with a Honda BF 150 averages 4.2 MPG on almost every trip. Most of my trips are all over 100 miles and some up to 250 miles. I always run at the best RPM "Sweet spot" on any given day or conditions that will provide the best fuel economy. In most cases it's around 4,200 RPM and 24 to 27 MPH.

Sure, I can run at WOT 5,800 RPM and do 39 MPH, but why punish your body and equipment? If I wanted a fast bass boat, I would have bought one.

Some always want bigger and faster, but just really don't have the bank accounts to do it right.

Upvote 0

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Erin and Ron I find that every time Lifeislarge asks for someone's opinion, he really doesn't want your opinion or suggestions. He already knows what he wants to do and just wants someone to validate. When you don't validate he has every reason under the stars why he is correct.

My 216 with a Honda BF 150 averages 4.2 MPG on almost every trip. Most of my trips are all over 100 miles and some up to 250 miles. I always run at the best RPM "Sweet spot" on any given day or conditions that will provide the best fuel economy. In most cases it's around 4,200 RPM and 24 to 27 MPH.

Sure, I can run at WOT 5,800 RPM and do 39 MPH, but why punish your body and equipment? If I wanted a fast bass boat, I would have bought one.

Some always want bigger and faster, but just really don't have the bank accounts to do it right.
The reason I ask others for numbers is to analyze the data and see if it makes sense. That would indeed validate or invalidate my interest in pursuing this endeavor.

Just because you're happy with a 150 doesn't mean I will be. I could also drive a truck with a V6 or even a Corolla FFS but I don't. I'm not interested in cruising at 24mph in flat water. I'm also adding 30 inches to the running surface and changing the CoB of the boat. Not all of us win the barnfind lotto and some have to use sweat equity to get our boats right.

East coast fishing and boating is entirely different than it is on the west coast and yes, resale is always a factor. People here put quad 450R's on their fishing boats because they can. You're inferring that I'm stupid but I can assure that if I float test the boat with full livewells and 700lbs on the bracket and it doesn't sit right I'll change plans. If and when I have a 300 rigged and it doesn't perform safely I'll change plans. The whole point of a custom boat project is to make improvements and innovate on an already good hull design.

I've learned a hell of a lot about boats, design, and construction over the last two years and most of it not specific to the Cabo 216. I've consulted with experts. I wouldn't be putting the money and effort into this project to do it wrong nor would I put myself or my family at risk for the sake of ego. I just don't want to shortchange myself if the options are available.

Upvote 0

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Whoa. I think I should buy a lottery ticket today. 4 complete sets (inner and outer frames) of Cabo windows plus extras, new old stock. Yes they're scratched from handling over the years but that'll polish out. The plastic is still strong as they were stored in a climate controlled environment. Clear glass though so I may end up swapping mine out.

IMG_3455.jpg

IMG_3456.jpg

Upvote 0

Mike_I

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 19, 2006
Irvine
Name
Mike_I
Boat
Cabo 216 First Love
You scored big time. Tell us the details.

Whoa. I think I should buy a lottery ticket today. 4 complete sets (inner and outer frames) of Cabo windows plus extras, new old stock. Yes they're scratched from handling over the years but that'll polish out. The plastic is still strong as they were stored in a climate controlled environment. Clear glass though so I may end up swapping mine out.

Upvote 0

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
You scored big time. Tell us the details.
One of those chance decisions that led to finding treasure. Had to get some 4X10 sheets of drywall and the only store that had any was an hour away in St. Augustine. There's a place there called Sailors Exchange which is basically a boat part salvage store. There's never anything good and I was in a hurry but I turned around anyways and went in. There they were on a shelf covered in a bunch of other shit. Tampa company who made them so I'm not surprised to find them here in FL.

I found one and thought it might work then did some digging and found the rest. Still didn't know if they were the same so I took some pictures with a tape measure and was going to leave them behind and come back if they were right but after looking at some pics on my phone and handling them for a bit I knew they were right and brought them home.

I obviously only need one set so once I've got them cleaned up and have a better idea of actual condition the rest will be available to whoever needs them.

Upvote 0

Split Decision

Split Decision
Mar 30, 2005
Downey, CA
Name
Jim Hendricks
Boat
Cabo 216
One of those chance decisions that led to finding treasure. Had to get some 4X10 sheets of drywall and the only store that had any was an hour away in St. Augustine. There's a place there called Sailors Exchange which is basically a boat part salvage store. There's never anything good and I was in a hurry but I turned around anyways and went in. There they were on a shelf covered in a bunch of other shit. Tampa company who made them so I'm not surprised to find them here in FL.

I found one and thought it might work then did some digging and found the rest. Still didn't know if they were the same so I took some pictures with a tape measure and was going to leave them behind and come back if they were right but after looking at some pics on my phone and handling them for a bit I knew they were right and brought them home.

I obviously only need one set so once I've got them cleaned up and have a better idea of actual condition the rest will be available to whoever needs them.
Great find! How much do you want for a pair?

Upvote 0

Bay blood

Mar 29, 2017
Benicia ca
Name
Lucas
Boat
Bayrunner
Hey guys does anyone keep their Cabo on a floating dock? Dock blocks , tetra dock etc?. The drive on type? Also I have read the f150 being able to tilt all the way up the water in the slip is this true?

Upvote 0