Split Decision

Split Decision
Mar 30, 2005
Downey, CA
Name
Jim Hendricks
Boat
Cabo 216
Does anyone have a TTop for a 216/226 they want to sell me?

In the market for a top. HMU!
You will likely need to have one custom-built. I have seen old T-tops for Cabos for sale in the past, and some guys here have replaced their T-tops with hardtop enclosures and have the old tops for sale. For my money, I would have one built just for my boat. Oh wait, that's exactly what I did.

Reactions: Lifeislarge
Upvote 0

Split Decision

Split Decision
Mar 30, 2005
Downey, CA
Name
Jim Hendricks
Boat
Cabo 216
Mine is built in I have hull #3 and it was custom built in Fullerton and not the factory!

View attachment 1279616

View attachment 1279617
I remember that the early Cabo 216s had a pocket for a Lowrance thru-hull transducer. But then the hull grew too difficult to pull out of the mold and some guys did not want Lowrance (the X15 paper graph was the popular unit back then), and so John Winterling ditched the idea of a pocket.

Reactions: cliff_fishes
Upvote 0

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Looks like I'll be switching it out for a 20 degree. I do have to wonder how much fairing a bump out on either side of the flat spot on the keel would affect performance if any. I haven't primed the bottom yet so now would be the time to do it.

Obviously not to scale but would an 1/8th of an inch on either side really make a difference when there's a transducer there anyways? Thinking as long as it's perfectly fair and robust enough to support it that it could be okay.

Airmar.jpg

Upvote 0

Errin

Snorkeler
Jun 22, 2015
Santa Barbara
Name
Errin
Boat
Cabo 216
You will likely need to have one custom-built. I have seen old T-tops for Cabos for sale in the past, and some guys here have replaced their T-tops with hardtop enclosures and have the old tops for sale. For my money, I would have one built just for my boat. Oh wait, that's exactly what I did.
LOL ya dude have you priced out a T Top lately?

These guys want $7k for $1k worth of stainless and $2k worth of work.

Upvote 0

Split Decision

Split Decision
Mar 30, 2005
Downey, CA
Name
Jim Hendricks
Boat
Cabo 216
Looks like I'll be switching it out for a 20 degree. I do have to wonder how much fairing a bump out on either side of the flat spot on the keel would affect performance if any. I haven't primed the bottom yet so now would be the time to do it.

Obviously not to scale but would an 1/8th of an inch on either side really make a difference when there's a transducer there anyways? Thinking as long as it's perfectly fair and robust enough to support it that it could be okay.

View attachment 1279651
Maybe, but you also want to avoid any disturbances in the hull that might send aeration to the propeller and cause a loss of efficiency.

Lifeislarge
Lifeislarge
I'll look at it closely. There's a ton of room to move it back from the prop but I'm definitely not an expert in hydrodynamics.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
LOL ya dude have you priced out a T Top lately?

These guys want $7k for $1k worth of stainless and $2k worth of work.
Have you looked at the price of wood these days? You'd have a $3K top made out of PT furring strips and plywood. Average price here is $4500 for a basic top with canvas. I paid $1500 just for my hardtop without pipe.

Reactions: Split Decision
Upvote 0

BigFishH

Mar 8, 2004
Rancho Santa Margarita
Visit site
Name
Darren
Boat
Cabo 216
I have a question for all you CABO experts out there. I have an 1986 216 which is in need of a fuel tank replacement. I have been trying to pull the tank but can’t seem to get it out of the compartment. No matter which way I try to tilt or turn it, it seems to get caught up on one of mounting tabs. Have any of you had to cut the mounting tabs off to remove your tank, or do any of you have any tips you can give me on how to get it out without too much pain? Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

SeaHawk IV

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 15, 2008
United States of America
Name
A
Boat
I have a question for all you CABO experts out there. I have an 1986 216 which is in need of a fuel tank replacement. I have been trying to pull the tank but can’t seem to get it out of the compartment. No matter which way I try to tilt or turn it, it seems to get caught up on one of mounting tabs. Have any of you had to cut the mounting tabs off to remove your tank, or do any of you have any tips you can give me on how to get it out without too much pain? Thanks in advance.
Post some photos for illustration.

Upvote 0

dwaynesda

dwayne
Apr 27, 2003
santee
Visit site
Name
dwayne
Boat
Cabo 216
They got it in with the tabs, It should come out. I am guessing the foam under the tank (that was poured when the tank was placed) has filled the void that you need to get that little extra space to maneuver the tank to get it out. If there was no foam, I am sure it would come right out.

How much interference is it causing? Pics would help.

Upvote 0

BigFishH

Mar 8, 2004
Rancho Santa Margarita
Visit site
Name
Darren
Boat
Cabo 216
They got it in with the tabs, It should come out. I am guessing the foam under the tank (that was poured when the tank was placed) has filled the void that you need to get that little extra space to maneuver the tank to get it out. If there was no foam, I am sure it would come right out.

How much interference is it causing? Pics would help.
I’ll see if I can get some pics. up later. I‘ll have to get some time to go down to where I have the boat stored. But with work and the upcoming Memorial day weekend it may be a little while til I am able get down there. The mounting tabs are not interfering by much, as it seems like I can almost get them to clear the compartment opening. Like if I had another 1/2“ more room it would make it out. I’ll check to see if the foam might be getting in the way as well. Thanks guys for chiming in.
BigFishH

Upvote 0

rustman

Aug 4, 2005
Irvine, Ca
Name
Rusty
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddy-Con

The attached link should provide the info needed.

Upvote 0

cliff_fishes

Fishing when I can
Mar 11, 2006
Lakewood
www.youtube.com
Name
Clifford Friend
Boat
216 Cabo 1985 E-TICKET
This is how we did our 1985 Cabo 216

6237608A-2E10-48C3-A9B3-335613301540.jpeg

EDD7E6C6-0E56-4630-A651-BDF7B8F53E8E.jpeg

696EAD68-CFA0-49D6-AC73-032C26145765.jpeg

Upvote 0

BigFishH

Mar 8, 2004
Rancho Santa Margarita
Visit site
Name
Darren
Boat
Cabo 216
Those brackets welded on to the tank are what is giving me the problem trying to pull the tank. They are hitting the opening and I’ve been trying to tilt the tank to get either the front or rear brackets to clear the opening of the compartment, but wasn’t having any luck. I will take another look later to see if the foam beneath the tank may be getting in the way of allowing me to get enough of a tilt to get the brackets clear. Thanks for sending the pics. showing the process.

Upvote 0

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
Cut them off if you are having a new tank made

Upvote 0

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Question for all the Cabo owners who insure their boats. Being that we all own 85-90ish hulls, many with improvements and with a record of decent value (especially these days with boat prices what they are), how are you insuring your boat? Agreed value? If so, how do you come up with a number that the insurance company will agree to and is it enough to cover a total loss and replacement?

I've never insured a restored classic??? boat and have no idea if I'll be facing an uphill battle when it's time to get her insured.

Upvote 0