Cabo Boat Owners

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
E-Ticket

3396A456-EF80-4D14-A9F5-6A32D940F665.jpeg

Reactions: Split Decision

Lifeislarge

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Yo, what size trim tabs are y'all running on your 216? Wondering if a 30" bracket would require a bigger tab or not.

Dan Salazar

Aug 23, 2014
Costa Mesa
Name
Dan Salazar
Boat
Hammer Time

Errin

Snorkeler
Jun 22, 2015
Santa Barbara
Name
Errin
Boat
Cabo 216
Dude that looks insane I am right behind you on conversion to pilot house!

My thought is you are leaving a lot of deckspace on the table with that approach tho. Preserving the walkaround and maximizing your cabin space are at odds and with that approach your cabin area will be minimal and cramped. Have you considered removing the console all together and building a Radon/Anderson style cabin? I don't think they look boxy when done right, you could preserve lines similar to what you have there, just with a legitimate cabin that you could sleep in.

Last edited:

rustman

Aug 4, 2005
Irvine, Ca
Name
Rusty
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddy-Con
Dude that looks insane I am right behind you on conversion to pilot house!

My thought is you are leaving a lot of deckspace on the table with that approach tho. Preserving the walkaround and maximizing your cabin space are at odds and with that approach your cabin area will be minimal and cramped. Have you considered removing the console all together and building a Radon/Anderson style cabin? I don't think they look boxy when done right, you could preserve lines similar to what you have there, just with a legitimate cabin that you could sleep in.
Preserving the deck space and the walk-around is more important to me than a place to sleep. I seldom overnight in my boat. I generally fish inshore and offshore day trips only. That is not to say I won't jump in the cuddy for a couple of hours while fishing WSB or waiting for the afternoon bite on BFT, butI do find the current cuddy meets my needs when the situation arises.

I did not want to reconfigure the original layout of the 216. I bought this boat for this main reason and I want to keep it as close to original as possible.

I like your thinking, but if I wanted a Radon type boat it would be much easier for me to just purchase one already built.

Reactions: Errin

SeaHawk IV

Jan 15, 2008
United States of America
Name
A
Boat
The only problem I see with that pilot house is it's not on my 216. You did it right. Outstanding work.

Did you do the work yourself? How much would a conversion like that cost? I like your set up better than a T
Top. Much better protection from sea spray and wind.

Split Decision

Split Decision
Mar 30, 2005
Downey, CA
Name
Jim Hendricks
Boat
Cabo 216
Trying to get some thoughts on the new pilot house conversion. It's based on the Davis Cortez pilot house because I don't want a structure that looks boxy or just square.View attachment 1240414
That looks pretty cool to me. By way of warning, the aft-raked windshield will result in some glare from your instruments -- gauges and displays -- at night. I know from the experience of having a similar angle to my custom Cabo windshield, but I live with it and believe the aesthetics outweigh the glare issue. This is why some salty pilothouse boats have windshields that rake forward. It is eliminates glare from helm instruments.

Reactions: Errin

Errin

Snorkeler
Jun 22, 2015
Santa Barbara
Name
Errin
Boat
Cabo 216
Preserving the deck space and the walk-around is more important to me than a place to sleep. I seldom overnight in my boat. I generally fish inshore and offshore day trips only. That is not to say I won't jump in the cuddy for a couple of hours while fishing WSB or waiting for the afternoon bite on BFT, butI do find the current cuddy meets my needs when the situation arises.

I did not want to reconfigure the original layout of the 216. I bought this boat for this main reason and I want to keep it as close to original as possible.

I like your thinking, but if I wanted a Radon type boat it would be much easier for me to just purchase one already built.
Would you keep the original seating/tackle station/cooler seat console with this configuration or would you remove it and replace with pedestal seats?

If you stay with the original seating console, it might interfere with the canvas

Split Decision

Split Decision
Mar 30, 2005
Downey, CA
Name
Jim Hendricks
Boat
Cabo 216
I have the original seating and have custom canvas drop curtains, but use them only when there's a strong cross breeze. Even then, I use only one curtain at a time on the upwind side of the boat. That keeps the helm area dry, and yet leaves access to the helm and cabin from the opposite side of the boat.

rustman

Aug 4, 2005
Irvine, Ca
Name
Rusty
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddy-Con
Would you keep the original seating/tackle station/cooler seat console with this configuration or would you remove it and replace with pedestal seats?

If you stay with the original seating console, it might interfere with the canvas
This is with the original T-top and curtains and with zipper side curtains I never has access issues

20200812_140148.jpg

Reactions: Split Decision

Dragon

May 24, 2006
SLO Co.
Name
Paul
Boat
22' Pro Sport CC / 20' Skipjack Open
Looks Great! Same design lines really, it fits...How's it feel?

Mike_I

May 19, 2006
Irvine
Name
Mike_I
Boat
Cabo 216 First Love
Rustman, does your boat still have the curtains? I'm interested in having them on my boat, it would have kept me dry and warm many times.

This is with the original T-top and curtains and with zipper side curtains I never has access issues

View attachment 1241323

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Trying to get some thoughts on the new pilot house conversion. It's based on the Davis Cortez pilot house because I don't want a structure that looks boxy or just square.View attachment 1240414
I really like the lines on that. I find a lot of add on pilot house conversions to be awkward and don't really fit the original design. Pilot houses (homes???) don't really have a following here in the SE but I'd love to be able to at least stay dry when it gets snotty. Probably end up going with eisenglass curtains that can be stored 90% of the time.