Cabo Boat Owners

SeaHawk IV

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 15, 2008
United States of America
Name
A
Boat
IMCO made my tank with the same spec as the original 105 gallon tank. I was able to fill a 105 gallons max.
I never used the reserve valve but was told by IMCO the pickup was set at 50% when boat is sitting leveled.

Mike_I

May 19, 2006
Irvine
Name
Mike_I
Boat
Cabo 216 First Love
That sounds right. If I remember correctly when I installed the new tank the reserve pickup tube was twice as long as the main tube. If anyone ever replaces their tank be sure you connect the correct pickup tube/hose to the correct position on the fuel switch. You'll be in for a surprise if you reverse them as I MAY have.

IMCO made my tank with the same spec as the original 105 gallon tank. I was able to fill a 105 gallons max.
I never used the reserve valve but was told by IMCO the pickup was set at 50% when boat is sitting leveled.

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
The guys who made my new tank built an exact replica of my original and it came out to be 110 gallons. @ochunter if your tank is original I would seriously consider replacing it. Taking off the seating console you're already halfway there. Mine had holes in it when I pulled it out but I doubt I would've known because it was encased in soggy foam.

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
I would seriously consider installing a new fuel tank, it’s one thing to have a leaking tank on an outboard powered boat but on an inboard/ outboard boat it’s suicidal

Reactions: One_Leg

Errin

Snorkeler
Jun 22, 2015
Santa Barbara
Name
Errin
Boat
Cabo 216
The guys who made my new tank built an exact replica of my original and it came out to be 110 gallons. @ochunter if your tank is original I would seriously consider replacing it. Taking off the seating console you're already halfway there. Mine had holes in it when I pulled it out but I doubt I would've known because it was encased in soggy foam.
You would have known because you would have smelled gasoline.

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Okay so I'm getting ready to order paint and I've been thinking about color. At first I was going to go with snow white, because the boat is white. My mind keeps drifting to different colors to somewhat modernize the appearance. Is this Cabo sacrilege? I love sea foam green, and I think a grey would pop on the hull as well. Have to have good contrast to the decal but I'm not sure what to do. I've never seen a Cabo in anything but white. Thoughts?

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
Sea foam green would look great.... not all Cabos were made white....

FBFA2C71-B9A3-4301-98AF-B5D4EBEF00AE.png

Mike_I

May 19, 2006
Irvine
Name
Mike_I
Boat
Cabo 216 First Love
I vote to keep it as close to the stock color as possible. It's like restoring a classic car to show room condition then lowering it, putting fancy wheels on it and paint a fancy stand out color. A classic is only a classic when it's kept classic. But it's your boat so knock yourself out and do what makes you happy.

Reactions: Lifeislarge

Split Decision

Split Decision
Mar 30, 2005
Downey, CA
Name
Jim Hendricks
Boat
Cabo 216
Okay so I'm getting ready to order paint and I've been thinking about color. At first I was going to go with snow white, because the boat is white. My mind keeps drifting to different colors to somewhat modernize the appearance. Is this Cabo sacrilege? I love sea foam green, and I think a grey would pop on the hull as well. Have to have good contrast to the decal but I'm not sure what to do. I've never seen a Cabo in anything but white. Thoughts?
I always wanted a storm gray hull with a white interior with gray accents on white upholstery. Any canvas work would be gray. That is pretty much my boat right now, except for the gray hull. My black Suzuki outboard with silver/gray graphics matches up nicely.

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
My upholstery is beige and cream so the green would go well with it as would white. White is easy and hides more but I live at the beach and drive past marinas every day with beautiful new boats on display and none of them have white hulls. But Mike_I is also correct in the restoration aspect however if that was the case I wouldn't be putting in Llebroc helm seats and Lumitec lights all over it. I'm also making modifications for safety and modernization like the enclosed transom and bracket so essentially it is a "resto-mod" of sorts.

Reactions: Split Decision

Split Decision

Split Decision
Mar 30, 2005
Downey, CA
Name
Jim Hendricks
Boat
Cabo 216
My upholstery is beige and cream so the green would go well with it as would white. White is easy and hides more but I live at the beach and drive past marinas every day with beautiful new boats on display and none of them have white hulls. But Mike_I is also correct in the restoration aspect however if that was the case I wouldn't be putting in Llebroc helm seats and Lumitec lights all over it. I'm also making modifications for safety and modernization like the enclosed transom and bracket so essentially it is a "resto-mod" of sorts.
I feel the same. All of the lights are now LED and there's SeaDek on the deck too. I don't have the logo on the boat any longer, as it doesn't match the rest of the motif, but I admire guys who keep the logo, as it tells everyone that you own the ORIGINAL Cabo.

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
I feel the same. All of the lights are now LED and there's SeaDek on the deck too. I don't have the logo on the boat any longer, as it doesn't match the rest of the motif, but I admire guys who keep the logo, as it tells everyone that you own the ORIGINAL Cabo.
Oh I'm keeping the logo. Replicating that was one of my highlights.

SeaHawk IV

Jan 15, 2008
United States of America
Name
A
Boat
The seafoam green will make your Cabo unique from the rest of us. Go for it. If you don't like it, repaint it back to the original color. You have the skills and tools so take the gamble.

Reactions: Fishbones

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
The seafoam green will make your Cabo unique from the rest of us. Go for it. If you don't like it, repaint it back to the original color. You have the skills and tools so take the gamble.
It really does have nice lines for color. As for changing it, I may have the tools but that paint is expensive. Hell I've never even painted a boat before, can still screw it up royally.

SeaHawk IV

Jan 15, 2008
United States of America
Name
A
Boat
Lifeislarge

You've invested a lot more money and elbow grease into this project compared to most Cabo owners. You only live once so if changing the color brings you happiness, make it happen. The modifications you have done is remarkable and you definitely know what you're doing.. I'm sure many Cabo owners have been brain storming on how to replace those splash well scuppers for years, me included. You went for it and got it done without hesitation and the results are impeccable.

I agree with you that seafoam green on the hull would make the lines pop. Like you said above, the new color will modernize the appearance.. Adding the transom bracket and doing all the other fiberglass mods has altered the design for the better, So go with your gut feeling.

Just my 2 cents....

Reactions: Split Decision

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Lifeislarge

You've invested a lot more money and elbow grease into this project compared to most Cabo owners. You only live once so if changing the color brings you happiness, make it happen. The modifications you have done is remarkable and you definitely know what you're doing.. I'm sure many Cabo owners have been brain storming on how to replace those splash well scuppers for years, me included. You went for it and got it done without hesitation and the results are impeccable.

I agree with you that seafoam green on the hull would make the lines pop. Like you said above, the new color will modernize the appearance.. Adding the transom bracket and doing all the other fiberglass mods has altered the design for the better, So go with your gut feeling.

Just my 2 cents....
I think you've got me convinced and the more I look at it the more I can see it.

Boat_front.jpg
BOAT2.jpg
swatch_t6183.gif