Cabo Boat Owners

Dean O

Sep 13, 2020
Clatskanie, Oregon
Name
Dean Olsen
Boat
Cabo cuddycon 216
Many Cabo owners have installed a splash board of some kind to keep water out of the cockpit. You can install these in a variety of places, but I put mine (pictured here) just forward of the bait tanks and added a coaming pad. This way you can lean against it and comfortably fish from the stern. I have had my Cabo 216 216 for 35 years and it has served me and family well and caught countless number of fish. I have fished as far as 90 miles below San Diego. A bigger concern (than the relatively low transom) is the low-profile bow. It has a tendency to dip at low speeds in short, steep waves, and may stuff if you fall into a big hole while running down-sea. This has happened to be twice, but I have learned to run the boat as to avoid this scenario.

View attachment 1199010
I appreciate your reply and I definitely am going to put a splash guard of some kind on my boat and plan on putting several hours on it hopefully before getting into any really rough water. I live up here in Oregon on the Columbia river and dont plan on doing any bar crossings until I learn my boat. I appreciate your response! Thank you!

Reactions: Split Decision

Split Decision

Split Decision
Mar 30, 2005
Downey, CA
Name
Jim Hendricks
Boat
Cabo 216
Okay folks, serious question. Has anyone replaced the transom on their 216? Not just enclosing it but a complete replacement. If so, where did you cut the outer skin? I keep looking at this and knowing that it’s 33 years old, wood cored, and had a bunch of old poorly sealed holes it should be done before it gets finished.

Looking at it I figure there’s a few ways of doing it, both partial and full. If I just go straight down from the notch lines then it’s just a matter of dropping in the new core and tabbing it in. If I go this route I’ll raise it to be fully enclosed and put a bracket on it. Looking for some advice.
Before diving into such a project, I would drill test holes at strategic points to see what you find. You might find some wet spots, but I just checked a number of areas in my 35-year-old transom (including the mounting holes for the engine, the motorwell drain holes, and the bilge drain. The only moisture I detected was around the motorwell drains. There was no rot what so ever. I let them dry and then reamed them out and filled each back in with West System epoxy and high density filler, then installed new drain fittings. Overall, I found the transom wood to be in very good shape.

Reactions: Torrn and One_Leg

rustman

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 4, 2005
Irvine, Ca
Name
Rusty
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddy-Con
I appreciate your reply and I definitely am going to put a splash guard of some kind on my boat and plan on putting several hours on it hopefully before getting into any really rough water. I live up here in Oregon on the Columbia river and dont plan on doing any bar crossings until I learn my boat. I appreciate your response! Thank you!
This is what I have done and works perfect for me. 3/4" Starboard mounted with 3/4" aluminum L channel. L channel was mounted on top of the transom trim with 3M 4200 between surfaces. Starboard was mounted to L channel with 3M 5200 between surfaces. Very Solid and prevents any excessive water extrusion.

20200630_123942.jpg

20200630_123837.jpg

Dean O

Sep 13, 2020
Clatskanie, Oregon
Name
Dean Olsen
Boat
Cabo cuddycon 216
This is what I have done and works perfect for me. 3/4" Starboard mounted with 3/4" aluminum L channel. L channel was mounted on top of the transom trim with 3M 4200 between surfaces. Starboard was mounted to L channel with 3M 5200 between surfaces. Very Solid and prevents any excessive water extrusion.

View attachment 1199719

View attachment 1199723
That looks really good and I definitely would be interested in doing the same thing, but I have a kicker motor so I would only be able to enclose one side. I did see where someone else used some starboard on the backside of the splash well and said it really helped to keep the boat dry. I do like how it looks. Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate it !!

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
Full transom is the only way to go on an offshore boat

BF08A092-5FBA-4562-A94D-328995EE5CAE.jpeg

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Full transom is the only way to go on an offshore boat

View attachment 1199808
So did you just fill it in or did you replace the whole transom? Just not sure I want to go this route. Last boat had a bracket and it was a POS to get the motor dialed in. If I do it I'll replace the whole transom so there's solid core all the way up from the bottom. Aaaaand another $2500 to get it done.

Fishbones

Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
Just filled in the top half, the existing transom was in great shape and bone dry

Fishbones

Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
It would be hard to make it one solid piece because the transom angle changes at the original motor well height

Dean O

Sep 13, 2020
Clatskanie, Oregon
Name
Dean Olsen
Boat
Cabo cuddycon 216
So in case y'all were wondering, the fonts used for the decal are ITC Tiffany Light (CABO) and Eurostyle MN Extended (CUDDYCON 216). Found both as free downloads. Did some dicking around on Photoshop and this is what I've got so far.View attachment 1197470

Might need some tweaking but finding the fonts was a win and hopefully I'll have perfect replica decals in a few days.
Those look great !! I need a set also. I will split the cost with you if you want?Thanks

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Those look great !! I need a set also. I will split the cost with you if you want?Thanks
I've got the final version done and waiting to get them from my a friend who's cutting them. When I know they're right or as close as can be I'll let everyone know.

Reactions: cliff_fishes

Dean O

Sep 13, 2020
Clatskanie, Oregon
Name
Dean Olsen
Boat
Cabo cuddycon 216
I've got the final version done and waiting to get them from my a friend who's cutting them. When I know they're right or as close as can be I'll let everyone know.
Thank you very much !! Much appreciated.! Are you by chance replacing the small ones above the window on the cuddy? I need those also.

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Thank you very much !! Much appreciated.! Are you by chance replacing the small ones above the window on the cuddy? I need those also.
My boat doesn't have those so probably not. Buddy says they should be cut tomorrow so fingers crossed.

Mike_I

May 19, 2006
Irvine
Name
Mike_I
Boat
Cabo 216 First Love
keep us posted

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you on this glorious day, the often talked about but rarely seen in the wild, Cabo 216 Cuddycon deck drains, hoses and yes, the bilge hose!!!! All that’s left now is the livewell hoses and they should be relatively easy compared to these bastards.
596B0E36-7BE8-4931-B50B-76AF7C5813DB.jpeg
75DC110C-F517-4C65-9336-B061532F416E.jpeg

Last edited:

Fishbones

Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
Deck drains look a little rough, are you going to replace them?

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Deck drains look a little rough, are you going to replace them?
Lol every screw on this boat is being replaced. The deck drains were a real conundrum because up until I cut the holes to replace the thru hulls I couldn't find a way to replace them without cutting into something else and nobody really had the answer short of pulling the liner off the boat. I'm good with cutting a boat open and making proper fiberglass repairs but I don't want to do that unless I absolutely have to.

The great news is that there isn't a single fitting left to remove so there is no having to tape over anything for the paint. It's a completely gutted hull.

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
I should have them in a couple days and once I've held it up against the original I'll know if it's good enough. The challenge for older boats will be a shadow of the old decal if it isn't exact unless you wet sand and polish it out. Mine will be going on fresh paint so it won't matter. The other thing is that a set of three (one spare in case you bugger up the installation or hit a dock) is $100.

Dean O

Sep 13, 2020
Clatskanie, Oregon
Name
Dean Olsen
Boat
Cabo cuddycon 216
I should have them in a couple days and once I've held it up against the original I'll know if it's good enough. The challenge for older boats will be a shadow of the old decal if it isn't exact unless you wet sand and polish it out. Mine will be going on fresh paint so it won't matter. The other thing is that a set of three (one spare in case you bugger up the installation or hit a dock) is $100.

Dean O

Sep 13, 2020
Clatskanie, Oregon
Name
Dean Olsen
Boat
Cabo cuddycon 216
Sounds good. I'll take a set. Thanks for your efforts to produce a set. Nice of you to share your efforts and time. Dean O. Ph. 503-308-2691

Split Decision

Split Decision
Mar 30, 2005
Downey, CA
Name
Jim Hendricks
Boat
Cabo 216
Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you on this glorious day, the often talked about but rarely seen in the wild, Cabo 216 Cuddycon deck drains, hoses and yes, the bilge hose!!!! All that’s left now is the livewell hoses and they should be relatively easy compared to these bastards.
View attachment 1201266View attachment 1201267
Great job. Thanks for sharing this valuable info. So, once you had the deck drain off and the foam dug away from the transom openings, did you just pull the hose out and, if so, from which end did you pull?

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Great job. Thanks for sharing this valuable info. So, once you had the deck drain off and the foam dug away from the transom openings, did you just pull the hose out and, if so, from which end did you pull?
The hoses are completely encased in foam and being corrugated, they don't want to let go so I ended up having to keep grinding away at the foam and pulling on the hoses until they finally broke free. I'm not sure it would be possible to get them out if there was still foam completely surrounding them.

You do have another option though if you can't get the hoses out. They're all 1.5" ID hoses so you could use them as conduit and run a smaller diameter hose inside them in the worst case.

Reactions: Split Decision

Mike_I

May 19, 2006
Irvine
Name
Mike_I
Boat
Cabo 216 First Love
Are you going to replace all of the foam you removed?