Corndawg

F/V My Tern
Feb 27, 2004
SD
Name
Corey
Boat
Mako 171 "My Tern" , CABO 216
So last week she went in to American Tanks in La Mesa for the new fuel tank. I cleaned out all the old foam and dropped her off. The new tank came out looking great, and way more heavy-duty than the old tank. It only touches the hull on the tops of the stringers. No foam, open airspace underneath. Some before pics, so you guys can see what I'm working with, and one with the new tank installed. Now for more sanding, wiring plumbing, painting, re-assembly, lol......

IMG_1944.jpg

IMG_1940.jpg

IMG_1942.jpg

IMG_1941.jpg
IMG_1966.jpg

Corndawg

F/V My Tern
Feb 27, 2004
SD
Name
Corey
Boat
So this is the boat I started with, but I bought it about a year after this ad. In that time the prior owner had learned that the fuel tank was leaking, and from there decided to disassemble the whole boat down to the hull with ambitions to re-gelcoat the whole boat. He got pretty ambitious with every little stress crack and ding on the boat, and I told him I wished I'd gotten my hands on it before he did. But he ran out of gas (pun intended) on the project, and so here I go...

I'm planning to finish the surface prep and paint it with 2-part, rather than gelcoat

Here are some pics from it before the last guy got ahold of it., when it was owned by a member on here. I hope you don't mind, Rob.

IMG_7310.JPG

IMG_7312.JPG

rustman

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 4, 2005
Irvine, Ca
Name
Rusty
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddy-Con
So, I had stalled for quite a while on my project 216 due to multiple life diversions (house projects, kid stuff, fishing, etc), but am back in the groove and very motivated to get this thing done. Because my boat was stripped to the hull by the prior owner, some things I haven't been able to see how they were set up originally. For most of that, other's photos have helped. In a few cases I have parts that need replaced, for which I don't have the originals as a reference. The splashwell fittings and deck drains are two of those. So in both cases they appear to be a press in fitting with a staggered (stepped) base diameters, to be glued into place with the seemingly permanent white tubing built into the boat. In the case of the splashwell fittings, I see no other way that these could be installed or replaced, other than a press in glue (5200) fitting, aside from cutting up the boat to allow internal access (not happening)... So it looks like they are likely the same fittings as the overflow and drain fittings in the bait tanks (pictured here). Does anybody know this attwood part? I looked both online and at a couple marine stores and cannot find. Has anyone replaced these?

View attachment 1168525

Do the deck drains look the same as this? Anybody ID'd the part?
My boat is completely original but many of the components have been replaced and specifics of plumbing have been modified. I have many pictures of how things were originally and you are more than welcome to come and see my boat to see how things were modified if you like.

The picture you provided doesn’t give enough detail to know where that thru-hull is, but I assume it’s in the transom splash well?

Corndawg

F/V My Tern
Feb 27, 2004
SD
Name
Corey
Boat
My boat is completely original but many of the components have been replaced and specifics of plumbing have been modified. I have many pictures of how things were originally and you are more than welcome to come and see my boat to see how things were modified if you like.

The picture you provided doesn’t give enough detail to know where that thru-hull is, but I assume it’s in the transom splash well?
Thanks for the offer, Rusty. I may take you up on that.

It's in the bait tank - It's the overflow. Seems like it should be the same part as the splashwell fittings that I am missing. But today I solved the riddle. So now I can see those attwood parts are just regular old plastic thru hulls - threaded with barbed end.
But the major realization is the way the previous guy removed them from the splashwell- I can't understand at all why - but he cut them out of the splashwell by cutting them off from the outside. leaving the threaded section, locking ring and barbed end inside the hull, still in the tubing... So it looked to me like a smooth pvc like pipe to insert a slip/glue fitting into. When its actually the cut off section of each of the old thru hulls stuck in the tubing. Not sure how I'm going to deal with this without cutting an access into each side of the splashwell above the fittings, or into the inside of the bait tank.
IMG_1977.jpg
IMG_1976.jpg

Dragon

May 24, 2006
SLO Co.
Name
Paul
Boat
22' Pro Sport CC / 20' Skipjack Open
Cut them from the inside top & bottom just through the Plastic. And punch them through. Then you can install from scratch...As far as I know? :-)

Corndawg

F/V My Tern
Feb 27, 2004
SD
Name
Corey
Boat
There's no access to the backside to install new thru hulls. Or press tubing into place, clamp, etc. These must've been been plumbed into the topcap of the boat before placing on the hull during construction.

rustman

Aug 4, 2005
Irvine, Ca
Name
Rusty
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddy-Con
Corndawg I do not envy you one bit. Based on all the pictures you posted you have a hell of a lot of work to do. To be honest, I don’t know if I would attempt to do that job if someone gave me that boat, so I applaud your enthusiasm.

Best of luck and my offer stands anytime

Corndawg

F/V My Tern
Feb 27, 2004
SD
Name
Corey
Boat
I hear you, Rusty. It is a lot of work to be done. But, except for a couple of these little access riddles, it's all pretty straightforward stuff. Just alot of grunt work. Oh, yeah, and paint! o_O

Another question - this should be an easy one - How do you guys have your intake for the washdown and bait tanks set up? Are both of your bait tanks split off one intake (and one pump), with the washdown plumbed to the second intake?

I'll likely modify the plumbing to my liking (tanks plumbed individually, etc) but I'm curious to know the stock setup.

And if anyone has a good solution to the splashwell fitting replacement conundrum, I'll buy beers. Lots. 8-)

Mike_I

May 19, 2006
Irvine
Name
Mike_I
Boat
Cabo 216 First Love
Yes

Another question - this should be an easy one - How do you guys have your intake for the washdown and bait tanks set up? Are both of your bait tanks split off one intake (and one pump), with the washdown plumbed to the second intake?

SeaHawk IV

Jan 15, 2008
United States of America
Name
A
Boat
I have two intake strainers. One for washdown and the other for livewells.

I'm sure every Cabo 216 owner is waiting to see how you'll get those splashwell thru-hull fittings replaced.

My only thought is to cut the fiberglass and make the repairs but I'm not willing to go that route.

Split Decision

Split Decision
Mar 30, 2005
Downey, CA
Name
Jim Hendricks
Boat
Cabo 216

It's in the bait tank - It's the overflow. Seems like it should be the same part as the splashwell fittings that I am missing. But today I solved the riddle. So now I can see those attwood parts are just regular old plastic thru hulls - threaded with barbed end.
But the major realization is the way the previous guy removed them from the splashwell- I can't understand at all why - but he cut them out of the splashwell by cutting them off from the outside. leaving the threaded section, locking ring and barbed end inside the hull, still in the tubing... So it looked to me like a smooth pvc like pipe to insert a slip/glue fitting into. When its actually the cut off section of each of the old thru hulls stuck in the tubing. Not sure how I'm going to deal with this without cutting an access into each side of the splashwell above the fittings, or into the inside of the bait tank.
View attachment 1168859View attachment 1168860
Not sure now to deal with fittings/hoses for the deck scuppers, but I know that one Cabo 216 owner on this board, Capt. JB, rerouted the drains for the bait tanks directly out the side of the hull and glassed over the old bait-tank drains in the splashwell. A simple and elegant solution. Perhaps he will elaborate on how he accomplished this.

Split Decision

Split Decision
Mar 30, 2005
Downey, CA
Name
Jim Hendricks
Boat
Cabo 216

View attachment 1168859View attachment 1168860
I kinda hope you cut it all apart so the rest of us can see how it all comes together. However, there is a workaround you might consider. Epoxy/fill around the perimeter of the holes to seal out water, then sand the surface flush. Insert a bronze through-hull fitting (ditch the fitting's backing nut) with a shoulder/barb that fits inside the hole. Apply a generous amount of 5200 around the shoulder/barb and around seat of the fitting to glue/seal the bronze fitting in place and then somehow clamp it tight until it dries. Another option would be to use a stainless fuel-fill deck fitting. Do the same thing as above, but the fuel-fill fitting will also have screw holes to secure the fitting to the fiberglass surface. Ditch the cap, as well as the backing nut, for the fuel-fill fitting. Might sound a little goofy, but it might just work and save you a lot of time and effort. This assumes the hose is secure and won't get push inward when you try to press a slightly smaller hose barb into it.

Corndawg

F/V My Tern
Feb 27, 2004
SD
Name
Corey
Boat
I kinda hope you cut it all apart so the rest of us can see how it all comes together. However, there is a workaround you might consider. Epoxy/fill around the perimeter of the holes to seal out water, then sand the surface flush. Insert a bronze through-hull fitting (ditch the fitting's backing nut) with a shoulder/barb that fits inside the hole. Apply a generous amount of 5200 around the shoulder/barb and around seat of the fitting to glue/seal the bronze fitting in place and then somehow clamp it tight until it dries. Another option would be to use a stainless fuel-fill deck fitting. Do the same thing as above, but the fuel-fill fitting will also have screw holes to secure the fitting to the fiberglass surface. Ditch the cap, as well as the backing nut, for the fuel-fill fitting. Might sound a little goofy, but it might just work and save you a lot of time and effort. This assumes the hose is secure and won't get push inward when you try to press a slightly smaller hose barb into it.
This is roughly what I have been thinking I need to do. Pressing in A fitting and gluing with 5200. Especially before I realized how crudely it had been disassembled and how it was supposed to be in the first place. But like you said, apart from cutting things apart to get access, this may be my best bet.
The hoses seem pretty securely in place, But I doubt they would still be that way if I remove the remnants of the thru hulls that are still stuck in the tubing and splashwell surface. But if I can find a fitting that fits nicely inside the surface of the old thru hull, I could glue it and screw it down, and hopefully get off relatively easy.

Reactions: Split Decision

Split Decision

Split Decision
Mar 30, 2005
Downey, CA
Name
Jim Hendricks
Boat
Cabo 216
This is roughly what I have been thinking I need to do. Pressing in A fitting and gluing with 5200. Especially before I realized how crudely it had been disassembled and how it was supposed to be in the first place. But like you said, apart from cutting things apart to get access, this may be my best bet.
The hoses seem pretty securely in place, But I doubt they would still be that way if I remove the remnants of the thru hulls that are still stuck in the tubing and splashwell surface. But if I can find a fitting that fits nicely inside the surface of the old thru hull, I could glue it and screw it down, and hopefully get off relatively easy.
You might have to play around with a few different fittings, dry fitting them to find one that will work best both in terms of fit and not impairing drain flow excessively. You might even have to cut the barb down a bit, as it looks like the approach is fairly wide, but narrows as you get to the old hose barb area. 5200 is really strong, so I don't think you have any issues with the new fitting coming loose.

Reactions: Corndawg

Corndawg

F/V My Tern
Feb 27, 2004
SD
Name
Corey
Boat
You might have to play around with a few different fittings, dry fitting them to find one that will work best both in terms of fit and not impairing drain flow excessively. You might even have to cut the barb down a bit, as it looks like the approach is fairly wide, but narrows as you get to the old hose barb area. 5200 is really strong, so I don't think you have any issues with the new fitting coming loose.
Yeah, It is wider (ID approx 1 3/8”) for about an inch and 3/4 and then narrows down at the old barb. I’ll have to play around with some fittings find one that fits OK as you said, without impeding the flow too much. At that point I can epoxy these existing tubes into place at the splash well so they stay put. Then glue the new fittings in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Split Decision

Split Decision

Split Decision
Mar 30, 2005
Downey, CA
Name
Jim Hendricks
Boat
Cabo 216
Yeah, It is wider for about an inch and a half and then narrows down at the old barb. I’ll have to play around with some fittings find one that fits OK as you said, without impeding the flow too much. At that point I can epoxy these existing tubes into place at the splash well so they stay put. Then glue the new fittings in.
Please let us know how it works out. Good luck.

Reactions: Corndawg

rustman

Aug 4, 2005
Irvine, Ca
Name
Rusty
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddy-Con
I hear you, Rusty. It is a lot of work to be done. But, except for a couple of these little access riddles, it's all pretty straightforward stuff. Just alot of grunt work. Oh, yeah, and paint! o_O

I'll likely modify the plumbing to my liking (tanks plumbed individually, etc) but I'm curious to know the stock setup.

And if anyone has a good solution to the splashwell fitting replacement conundrum, I'll buy beers. Lots. 8-)
The only way you can replace the thru-hulls in the transom splash well without lifting the entire top half of the boat is to cut an access hole through each bait tank and re-glass when completed. When you do this replace all 4 thru-hulls, hoses, clamps and thru-hull for bilge, hose for bilge and hose and wash down hose-bib.

I am telling you it would really be worth your time to check out a fully assembled 216 to take a lot of the guess work out of what you need to do, but that’s just an opinion.

Lifeislarge

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
@Corndawg our boats look like they're in the exact same state with both of us doing the same thing. I went ahead and reglassed my entire helm/console as there was no need for 15 gauges and I'm still not sure what I'm going to repower with so other than the helm, the chart light and the compass it's now virgin. I have a couple more cracks to fill by the anchor locker then it's ready for paint. I've decided to go with Alexseal. Every square inch topside will be completely refurbished when I'm done.

I just sold my Mako today because it was keeping me on the water instead of attending to my project and also brought some extra money to the table. Looking forward to the finished product.

Does anyone know anyone who can reproduce the Cabo decal on the hull?

Corndawg

F/V My Tern
Feb 27, 2004
SD
Name
Corey
Boat
@Corndawg our boats look like they're in the exact same state with both of us doing the same thing. I went ahead and reglassed my entire helm/console as there was no need for 15 gauges and I'm still not sure what I'm going to repower with so other than the helm, the chart light and the compass it's now virgin. I have a couple more cracks to fill by the anchor locker then it's ready for paint. I've decided to go with Alexseal. Every square inch topside will be completely refurbished when I'm done.

I just sold my Mako today because it was keeping me on the water instead of attending to my project and also brought some extra money to the table. Looking forward to the finished product.

Does anyone know anyone who can reproduce the Cabo decal on the hull?
That's awesome, Lifeislarge. Keep me posted, and let me know if you run into any issues, or anything, and maybe we can help each other out. Even if it's just a pep talk... :D Feel free to shoot me a PM.

Funny, my other boat is a Mako 17, which I plan to sell when the Cabo is done, or almost done. I was just telling my buddy the other day that I should just sell it now, because it's allowing fishing to get in the way of doing boat work. Can't do it though, gotta fish!

Lifeislarge

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
So my hull from the bow to the first bulkhead has no foam. It's dry as the desert and I have a way to pour it in from the front, should I?

old builder

Aug 23, 2019
calif
Name
STAN J SUSMAN
Boat
many
Sorry gang. it's not clear to me how to post yet, so I replied.
I'm re-powering my 206 Cuddy and info is hard to come by. Seems like a new 115 might do it but none of us like to want for more power and im concerned about the weight of a 150 as it's a bit aft CG I think already.Any thoughts are helpful
Stan

Mike_I

May 19, 2006
Irvine
Name
Mike_I
Boat
Cabo 216 First Love
Welcome to the Cabo group. I have a Yamaha 150 on my 216 and it's fine. Some people move the batteries forward to lower the weight in the stern. I fish with 3 on my boat with full stock bait tanks and have no issues.

I'm re-powering my 206 Cuddy and info is hard to come by. Seems like a new 115 might do it but none of us like to want for more power and im concerned about the weight of a 150 as it's a bit aft CG I think already.Any thoughts are helpful
Stan

Split Decision

Split Decision
Mar 30, 2005
Downey, CA
Name
Jim Hendricks
Boat
Cabo 216
Stan
Welcome aboard Stan. I don't have any experience with the 206, but have run a wide range of motors on my 1986 Cabo 216, ranging from 140 hp to 250 hp. For me, the happy medium is a 175 or 200 hp inline four-stroke. My boat ran OK with the 140, but I had to keep the RPMs up and there was little reserve. I would shoot for 150 hp minimum, as there is nothing more dreadful than an underpowered boat. I think you will be OK with the weight of the engine.

Mike_I

May 19, 2006
Irvine
Name
Mike_I
Boat
Cabo 216 First Love
If you're in the south O.C. area and want to see how a 150hp works on my 216 you're welcome to join me on a fishing trip.

Stan
[/QUOTE]