Cabo airport return - do reels need to be checked?

afraser

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
Last time I went through cabo they made me check a fishing rod in checked baggage (instead of carry on- it was very small), but I don't remember if the fishing reels had to be in checked bags. If so, I won't bring high end spinners.

Upvote 0

yellowklr

My Best Catch!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 22, 2003
San Diego,Ca
Name
Derek
Boat
complicated
its a crap shoot.......I check mine just to be safe. Often they will make you go back and check it if they see it at screening(if they have line)

Upvote 0

NoLDR

OG BD member
  • Mar 26, 2003
    Sherman Oaks
    Name
    BRAD
    Boat
    29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
    Don"t need to check them. Wish I had carried my rods on my last trip. Fucking airline broke all 5 rods. Have been trying to get someone to step up and pay the $2100 in broken rods but so far no luck. Airline blames TSA and TSA takes 6 months min to deal with a claim, I am only 4 months in. Will be filing a lawsuit once I have followed all proper measures under TSA guidelines. On the same trip someone checking their reels and had them all stolen.

Upvote 0

madrugador

ITS ALL ABOUT THE HUNT
  • Jul 6, 2004
    el cajon
    Name
    chad
    Boat
    26 blackman MADRUGADOR II For sale ,13'6 gregor hoopster
    They wouldn't allow us because of the line .. guess it depends on who you get.

Upvote 0

Fish Scorpion & El Regalo

Advertiser
    Advertiser
    Mar 3, 2015
    Buena Vista, BCS
    www.scorpionsportfishing.com
    Name
    Matthew Clifton
    Boat
    35' Cabo "El Regalo" and 26' "Scorpion"
    Never had a problem carrying them on with line. Doesn't mean that there won't be one but that's my experience.

Reactions: Nic D
    Upvote 0

afraser

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Apr 20, 2008
    sf, ca
    Name
    aaron
    Boat
    NA
    Flown in 100 times and never checked a reel
    Flying in is fine, It's flying out that is the question. Just wanted to be clear what I was asking. Cabo has special rules that are different than other mexican airports.

Upvote 0

sammyvelvet

Aug 8, 2013
    long beach
    Name
    sammy
    Boat
    no
    I actually asked TSA and got the response after so much speculation. As per TSA in the USA. You can take your reels on board with line on them as carry on. Fishing Rods are only allowed as per the airlines regulations ( this usually means it will fit in the overhead and is protected from breakage ). NOW ... coming back from MEXICO is the real mess ... so as per their security you CANNOT bring with you for CARRY ON reels with LINE .. without LINE OK .. and they DO NOT allow RODS to go through screening ... so that is the OFFICIAL response from Mexico Screening Operations .... ok that being said ... sometimes they dont care about the reels .. as far as the RODS I have not seen anyone nor have I ever taken my RODS through Mexican Screening .. but if you check at the ticket counter when you are checking in they will show you a small poster of things you cannot take through security and fishing Rods is on that chart ..... So a couple of things you can do .. Take a Rod Case and check in your rods ( and you are only allowed 4 rods and reels per person and that is per Customs ) the reels if they are spinning reels I put the spools in my checked in bag or in my ice chest if I am bringing back fish and put the reels with me to carry on .. if they are conventional reels you can either remove the line or put them in your checked bags or in your ice chest.... I have forgotten to take the line off my reels once and I did have to remove it from the reels or go back and put them in my checked bags ( which would be a major hassle as I had already checked them in ) ... I have been back and forth to cabo over 100 times ... so the problem is not here .. the issue arises when you are leaving Mexico ... you can PM me here if you want any more info ... good luck

Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0

clevel

Skipper
  • Jun 4, 2011
    Laguna Niguel
    Name
    Cabo Jack
    Boat
    Cobia 261
    Been going to Baja and Cabo almost every year for 20 yrs and never had problem carrying on board reels with line.

I too had Tsa break my rod when they inspected it in my rod holder tube. i also had belongings stolen from my bag so i never check valuables.

Upvote 0

sammyvelvet

Aug 8, 2013
    long beach
    Name
    sammy
    Boat
    no
    I just got back from Loreto. Going on Alaska NO ISSUES. Rods checked in . Reels carried on with line ... coming back from Loreto ... I took the spools off my reels and put them in my checked luggage. Took reel bodies in my carry on no issues. Rods checked in as baggage no problems. One of my buddies tried to carry on his travel rods and they made him go back from security and check them in. He also put two reels in his carry on bag and when he tried again to go through security they told him he could either take off the line or check the reels in his baggage but could not go on with line. Sometimes they dont care either way on the reels .. but they seem to be sticking to the Rods being checked for whatever reason .. just an update for you ...

Reactions: mfraser29
    Upvote 0

Jim Galat

Dec 28, 2015
    Aurora, IL
    Name
    Jim Galat
    Boat
    Muddy
    I flew out of Cabo last Sunday, they were hassling a guy with a small travel rod in a case, didnt look fun. It appeared he either had to check it, or dump it. Not sure on reels.

Reactions: mfraser29
    Upvote 0

mfraser29

Aug 25, 2007
    san diego
    Name
    michael
    Boat
    zodiac
    Just got back from Loreto on Volaris. Coming back from Loreto to TJ airport, they made me check my small travel Okuma rods.
    Reels with line were also checked.

Upvote 0

Bozly

Jul 9, 2012
    San Felipe BC
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Sold it and bought an inflatable
    A little trick I’ve used in the US but may work elsewhere. Put your rod tube in a ski bag, you know, a bag you would carry snow skis in and check them. I never got asked and they seem to be more careful with skis. This was a decade and a bit ago but it worked fine back then. YMMV

Upvote 0

captaindorado

Sep 10, 2006
    Newport/Punta Chivato/Spanish Wells
    Name
    Hey You
    Boat
    A Few
    thumbnail.jpg

Upvote 0

DH10

Aug 18, 2009
    Pinedale WY USA
    Name
    Dave Harper
    Boat
    17 Crestliner
    Been over this a 100 times on this board and others. Its A crapshoot, but if they say no, you are usually screwed, because at that point you have already checked your bags. I can tell you this from personal experience.
    Carry them down, check them back home.

Reactions: undone
    Upvote 0

c-nut

Fishing addict
    Mar 2, 2003
    Murrieta, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat
    TBA
    So a few years ago I checked both rods and reels. Rods in a bazooka tube and reels in luggage.

I did cable my reels together to an internal support in my luggage. Paranoid...maybe.

Any ways going to Las Barillas in 10 days, just wondering if it is even worth bringing my own boat gear. ???

Also, wondering if anyone puts reels in their Bazooka tube with the rods? Seems some may fit if not attached to the rod.

I apologize for jumping on the OP., Aaron’s post...
    Glenn

Upvote 0

sammyvelvet

Aug 8, 2013
    long beach
    Name
    sammy
    Boat
    no
    IF the mexican govt could issue an OFFICIAL determination on the "Reels" issue and have it enforced uniformly throughout Mexico that would make it easy for everyone .... but then again .. its Mexico ... I am wondering where the picture of that sign from Alaska Airlines was taken ... I have never seen that sign before .. but they need that on all the Airline Check in Counters leaving Mexico ... Like I said ... I put the spools of my spinners in the baggage and take the bodies .. never had issue .. but if that sign says NO REELS then thats pretty clear ... Im lucky thou I have most of my gear already in Cabo with my Capt ... Im lucky to be able to do that thou.

Upvote 0

Cast Gold

hss AHHHH...hss AHHHH....
    Jul 1, 2005
    Tustin
    Name
    Kris
    Boat
    Mike's
    If there is uncertainty, you can get a 4' piece of 250# wire and crimp a loop on two ends so you can shackle your reels to the inside of your checked bag with a non-TSA lock and just keep it in there. It doesn't weigh anything and doesn't take any significant space. Cheap price to pay for peace of mind when flying out of unknown regs that can change depending on who is on duty.

Upvote 0

Cast Gold

hss AHHHH...hss AHHHH....
    Jul 1, 2005
    Tustin
    Name
    Kris
    Boat
    Mike's
    A little trick I’ve used in the US but may work elsewhere. Put your rod tube in a ski bag, you know, a bag you would carry snow skis in and check them. I never got asked and they seem to be more careful with skis. This was a decade and a bit ago but it worked fine back then. YMMV

That would get some awesome looks on the faces at baggage claim when they hand you your "skis" in Cabo Mx.

Upvote 0