CA Yellowtail and WSB setup

bluefin69

• Apr 28, 2021
    Torrance
    Name
    Rizzo
    Boat
    Time Out
    I need your guys advice on building a solid combo for CA yellowtail and sea bass. Something that I can fish top water, double dropper loops and maybe even some med/heavy jigging. I will be fishing Catalina, Clemente and San nic islands.

Upvote 0

chavid

Almost A Member
    May 6, 2013
    Rancho cucamonga
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    Pursuit 315 OS
    Any small or medium 2 speed reel. It would be good to use for YFT and Bluefin. So many good reel and rod without spending a ton of money. I like my Talica 10ii pair with Calstar 700m 20-50.

Reactions: Rocket Dog
    Upvote 0

Highwayman

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jun 25, 2015
    Name
    Sammy
    Boat
    Party Boats and Skiff
    Phenix 9’H, 6480H with a Trinidad 20 or 16. A penn Fathom or Accurate of similar size are all option. I fish a Newell 533 on a 6480H for jigging deep when possible For yellowtail. The 6480H 40lb class setup is classic though some fish 80lb on the medium sized setup when fishing big WSB at the kelps edge.

Last edited:

Mickeyfin

Mickeyfin
    Jul 18, 2003
    santa monica,ca.
    Name
    Mickeyfin
    Boat
    no
    If I were starting out I’d choose a Penn Fathom 25n/2 speed and Phoenix Axis 780h/7’8”. Cost with line is about $500. You can do better on price but not the quality. Solid rig for up to 40# (and maybe light 50?) that can cast a bait and jigs. Jmho
    Mick

Upvote 0

Mr. DRE

• Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Private
    It's hard to find one rod that can do it all but if someone twisted my arm I would go with a SS-CJBF90M, Seeker 6490 or Calstar BTG90J paired with a Shimano Trinidad 16. Good luck with your search.

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
    Jan 19, 2007
    San Clemente
    Name
    Tim
    Boat
    None
    Different applications require different gear.

If fishing deep water on a squid bed for both seabass and yellows you can fish 50lb gear with a dropper loop or glow jig although a seabass would be more than likely to eat a jig suspended off bottom than a yellow. If fish are suspended in mid water off the bottom you can use a small slider or a balloon to fish different parts of the water column.

If fishing shallow near structure like a kelp bed prefer kelp cutter rigs with 65lb spectra and a short 5 foot section of 50lb flouro.

Seabass have sharp teeth but yellows don't so if you do not want to get bit off by a big seabass use 40lb flouro at a minimum. Fish rope if you want to land those things as they are not line shy.

I prefer Shimano Trinadad A's and Calstar grafighters like a 800L or 800ML that can absorb the headshakes as there is no stretch in a kelp cutter rig...

IMG_1027A.jpg
    114_1469A.jpg
    IMG_2860.jpg

IMG_1771A.jpg

bluefin69

• Apr 28, 2021
    Torrance
    Name
    Rizzo
    Boat
    Time Out
    Different applications require different gear.

If fishing deep water on a squid bed for both seabass and yellows you can fish 50lb gear with a dropper loop or glow jig although a seabass would be more than likely to eat a jig suspended off bottom than a yellow. If fish are suspended in mid water off the bottom you can use a small slider or a balloon to fish different parts of the water column.

If fishing shallow near structure like a kelp bed prefer kelp cutter rigs with 65lb spectra and a short 5 foot section of 50lb flouro.

Seabass have sharp teeth but yellows don't so if you do not want to get bit off by a big seabass use 40lb flouro at a minimum. Fish rope if you want to land those things as they are not line shy.

I prefer Shimano Trinadad A's and Calstar grafighters like a 800L or 800ML that can absorb the headshakes as there is no stretch in a kelp cutter rig...

View attachment 1276369View attachment 1276370View attachment 1276371
    View attachment 1276372

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Carter W.

Aug 6, 2019
    Newport Beach
    Name
    Carter W.
    Boat
    2009 Hobie Outback
    I need your guys advice on building a solid combo for CA yellowtail and sea bass. Something that I can fish top water, double dropper loops and maybe even some med/heavy jigging. I will be fishing Catalina, Clemente and San nic islands.
    8ft 20-50 Okuma PCH or even 30-60 anything shorter than that doesn’t cast too far and longer is hard to fish deep with. These Roda are $160-180

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    My bigger Yellowtail/White Seabass rig Calstar 700MH/Avet 2-Speed LX Reel. Solid rig.
    Also great fishing deep for Lings/ School size
    Bluefin tuna.

Upvote 0