CA Regs and slow pitch jigs

BlackShuck

Jun 12, 2018
Woodland Hills
Name
Brady
Boat
N/A
Can anybody clarify the CA regs on slow pitch jigs and number of hooks? Under the Rockfish regs it says not more than two hooks... is that for bait only or for lures as well?
Can I use a traditional two assist hooks on the top and on bottom of the jig?
Thanks!

Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
Brookings Oregon
Name
mike
Boat
19"Gregor
Search is your friend this has been asked numerous times . Few times in just the past week . 1 + 1 = 2 any way you add it up .

Reactions: Blackfish
Upvote 0

JK155

• Nov 8, 2019
    California
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Wellcraft 18 Fisherman
    The one line and two hooks as defined by Carrie Wilson seems to be the clarification I needed to understand the regs.

https://californiaoutdoors.wordpress.com/2010/06/16/using-scuba-to-photograph-abalone-divers/

Treble hooks legal for rockfish?
    Question:
    Is it legal to use a treble hook while fishing for rockfish south of the 40.10 line? (Kevin M.)

Answer: Yes. You may use no more than two hooks (a hook is a single hook, or a double or treble hook with multiple points connected to a common shank) and one line (CCR Title14, section 28.55 (d)). If, however, you have salmon on board, then you may only fish with salmon gear. Salmon gear consists of no more than two singsingle point, single shank barbless hooks when fishing for salmon or when salmon are on board (CCR Title14, section 27.80 (a)(2)).

# # #

Carrie Wilson is a marine biologist with the California Department of Fish and Game. She cannot personally answer everyone’s questions but will select a few to answer in this column each week. Contact her at [email protected].

Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
    Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    Interesting I have seen several people running two hooks on the top of their FF jigs and 2 on the bottom.

Reactions: inifish
    W
    woodfish330
    Brother.... and I've seen people keep 9" bass as well. Know that ignorance of the law does not make the crime acceptable.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
    Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    As long as there’s no rockfish in the boat, you can have as many hooks as you want.
    Oh so it's only for rockfish ok. I was under the assumption that the 2 hooks max was for all California fishing. Thx.

Upvote 0

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Rockfish and Salmon have hook number restrictions. Everything else no - hence the “chandelier” rigs you see on some flat fall type jigs.
    👌

Upvote 0

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Bait rigs is the only exseption to the 2 hook reg,

Reactions: pelagiko