Ca. Delta Stripers 3.18.18

Discussion in 'Northern California Fishing Reports' started by Hamachi_Kama, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Hamachi_Kama

Hamachi_Kama HK Slays Multimedia Fishing

Name:
    Tomo
    Boat:
    20' Ranger inshore CC
    Had an amazing morning with triple limits by 0930. What started as a foggy and negative morning quickly turned into WFO style drifts for a good 2 hours when just a few dipping seagulls gave up the school:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fast and furious fishing with 25-30 fish to the boat. Good mix of 18-20" shakers and quite a few of those chunky 3 to 6 lb. fish as well. As many fish we had to the boat it was the swirls and aggro behavior that kept us casting. Rolled off that spot for a few minutes to let it cool off and when we came back, Paul nailed the bonus DD on a magnum fluke. Boiled on it like a topwater bait:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Super fun times with our in mid-fifties water, and good to great visibility during back-half of the ebbing tide. The muddy Moke is making things a bit more challenging on the SJ but if you look around for the clean water they're around, for sure.

Was stoked to see that same stretch of water bite good on this evenings incoming tide. Lots of action but the bigger fish just swirled and scoffed. Oh well it was still super fun. Get out there!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  2. stella marina

stella marina Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Andrew
    Boat:
    Parker 2320, 16 Klamath cc, 10 ft Livingston "bass slayer"
    Nice job bud
    Way to slay. .. I need to get over there for some of that.
    You've got it dialed

Hamachi_Kama likes this.
  3. pieter

pieter Newbie

Name:
    Pieter
    Boat:
    private
    Fantastic hit my friend. I’m thinking of going that way sometime in the next ten days. All I have is a float tube but keen eyes and decent skill set when it comes to stripe.
    You recommend any areas that would be worth the look and suitable?

Hamachi_Kama likes this.
  4. ratboy

ratboy Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jason
    Boat:
    katie sea
    Sick!

Hamachi_Kama likes this.
  5. RockHopperNCKA

RockHopperNCKA Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dustin
    Boat:
    Do kayaks count?
    Nice! Thanks for the report.

Hamachi_Kama likes this.
  6. InDeepShip

InDeepShip Ah ship

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    In my Dream's
    The bank has be slow as hell this year. how far back in the bay were you?

Hamachi_Kama likes this.
  7. Hamachi_Kama

Hamachi_Kama HK Slays Multimedia Fishing

Name:
    Tomo
    Boat:
    20' Ranger inshore CC
    It would be a real challenge to fish the main rivers in a float tube - lots of current. Pretty much every bit of the delta is tidal influenced however there are some areas that are doable - east/south delta in the more backwater areas in general is a good starting point. When I fished from a kickboat out there I never brought oars - you cannot fight the wind and tide. Instead I'd go with the tide let it take me away and then let it take me back....back half of any tide was my M.O. so I never had to wait too long for a tide change. All this said, I am catching these striper on the San Joaquin River proper, and its pretty raw for a float tube. This should not preclude you from exploring you know your thresholds better than me.

I think what you're trying to say is that a snap or something along those lines is better? Tieing direct is how I roll and fish seem to not mind. I get the action I need and then some. I've never been a fan of non-essential hardware - less is more.

I'm fishing on the San Joaquin River right now and some of the ajacent waterways.

pieter and RockHopperNCKA like this.
  8. pieter

pieter Newbie

Name:
    Pieter
    Boat:
    private
    Thanks for the reply!

Hamachi_Kama likes this.