Sirgonzolot

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 17, 2021
Pa
Name
Stephen Gonzalez
Boat
Intrepid
Would there be any reason buying a used fully functional Platinum ATD 30 could turn out to be lemon? I know with any reel I can fix it and replace and clean and lube etc, but im not setup to test and check everything like the tester guy I hav seen videos of. Just don't want to get into a reel that is unfixable. Its the pointy handle regular ATD 30 for my nephew in Florida. Is there anything that cannot be replaced ? Thanks in advance guys.

abj5150

Service Manager, Advisor and Customer Support.
Advertiser
Sep 18, 2012
USA
Name
Al
Boat
Whatever I can get on
That is a tough question because it depends on the age and generation of the reel. If the reel has the black silk screened lettering you need to be very careful. Some of the oldest reels have parts we no longer make and are not compatible with being converted.

Sirgonzolot

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 17, 2021
Pa
Name
Stephen Gonzalez
Boat
Intrepid
Thank you again. I could call in with the serial number then and get the information from the office on what gen ATD it is?

abj5150

Service Manager, Advisor and Customer Support.
Advertiser
Sep 18, 2012
USA
Name
Al
Boat
Whatever I can get on
With the serial number I could tell you when it was made, but I wouldn't be able to be sure of the generation as far as what it has inside without opening it up.

Reactions: Cubeye

Cubeye

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
With the serial number I could tell you when it was made, but I wouldn't be able to be sure of the generation as far as what it has inside without opening it up.
This is interesting information. Thank you for posting.

So if I were to buy an older Accurate reel, which is no longer made, I could very possibly be buying a useless reel if one of the parts were to break. Let's say, for example, the ARB had been upgraded and you no longer support of older model ARB.

I realize that this is true about any company selling any product, but if I bought a older model Shimano or Penn reel, the parts, weather new or used can still be purchased, because of the volume of reels that had been sold.

For example, I own a Shimano TTS50W. This reel was probably discontinued maybe 25 years ago, but I can still purchase some new, but mostly used parts.

Not bashing. Simply making an observation.

Smaller companies are better able to identify defects in their products, and quickly make changes, which is a good thing, but that leaves the owners of the older models out in the cold.

When companies like Okuma, make a defective product, they have a BIG problem. So they simply make a New model to replace the old. Shimano has done the same, but they call it an improvement or upgrade.