Buying a boat

bossdj

Jul 20, 2015
San Pedro
Name
Roger
Boat
None
I live near 22nd st landing and am looking to buy a boat its mainly just me and my wife. We like to go twilight fishing and are looking for a boat i took out a 15 westcoaster and a 17 mako before and we almost bought them but a few things worried us so we didnt get them.

So heres where im coming from
We want to buy a small boat maybe aluminium or a mako or whaler but then are worried if we will have enough room? Will we get too wet? we want to fish early morning or twilight local horseshoe maybe once we're seasoned try catalina. Also try hooping.
I like that gas should be cheap because i dont want it to turn into we dont go as much because its costly because as it is i will be paying for dry docking or renting a slip. But im wondering will we regret it when we cant take the kids or more people with a small boat, but then dont want to regret it with a big boat because it guzzles gas.

Pls help, also how much could i expect to spend on gas on a smaller rig also wats the smallest i should go on a cc,whaler,mako etc
Thanks guys

Upvote 0

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
B.O.A.T= Break out another thousand! No matter what size boat you buy it will need gas and the less you you use it the more it is going to cost you to get it worthy to run again. Try renting a boat once in a while?

Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Sounds like you want big boat comfort at small boat prices. If you can crack that code, millions of people will be lining up to know your secret (including me :))

Upvote 0

bossdj

Jul 20, 2015
San Pedro
Name
Roger
Boat
None
Im just asking for any advice, personal experience or knowledge. You would,think maybe other people have been down this road so thats why im putting it out there and trying to get an idea of what people think. Regrets, input, their deciding factors etc.
If I couldnt afford it i wouldnt be buying a slip. I'm just trying to be informed as possible before I decide I dont need the sarcasm

Upvote 0

tj805

Jan 26, 2012
Los osos
Name
Tony
Boat
19 arima sea chaser 12ft Livingston
Like everyone has said.
Boats are a huge expense.
Finding a small boat that is capable of doing what you ask is basically inpossible.
Little boats are great.
I love my little arima and it does everything I need it to.
But I know and understand its limitations.
You simply can't make a little boat big.
If you want the whole family to come along on adventures I would get a big boat.
But with a big boat comes huge bills for fuel/slip/ maintaince.

Upvote 0

Bigeasy

yeah, yeah!
Jun 18, 2008
Vallejo, CA
Name
Eric W.
Boat
Tunacious 238 Coastal Twin 150-E
I probably would look at a 22 Cuddy. A CC means your in the element and she may not be happy with the rain, wind, waves and generally crappy conditions. The 22 also allows for extra passengers!

Reactions: slapazz
Upvote 0

jgy

Almost A Member
May 29, 2008
SF Bay Area, CA
Name
James
Boat
Looking for a World Cat 320EC (hit me up if you have one for sale)
I bought a 19' CC in Jan of this year and I'm currently looking for a 23'-24' CC. I love the boat since it's great in the bay but it just isn't big enough to go offshore where the good fishing is. I thought I'd fish mostly in the bay but when you hear of a hot bite offshore, you can only think "what if I got a bigger boat?"

Upvote 0

havv

Mar 24, 2013
Pasadena
Name
Gary
Boat
282 sailfish
I tested out some cc boats and bought a cuddy and I'm sure glad I did, does everything from hooping to off shore and the family can coke along, I was in the same situation, for what you are doing a cc will be really uncomfortable, great fish ability but it's not going to be your thing. Look for a 22 to 25 cuddy type boat. Boats cost money no doubt, but it's a hobby and I enjoy it thee are more people that enjoy it than regret it imo
Good luck in your search, and I am selling a boat that fits your needs I want to move up a bit in years

Upvote 0

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
If you want an open boat to fill the bill, find a 1980's era Boston Whaler Outrage 18'. It has 62 gallons under the deck and is seaworthy enough to get you every where you want to go. You can find one from around the 10-15K range on a trailer. Beware you will want to go bigger after a few years, then you have to think about the 22-25' boats. But beware after a few years you will want something in the 27-32' range but beware after a few years your going to want to go back to the 22-25' range because of operational expense, trailerability, ease of storage and reliving the good old days.. Cut to the chase and find yourself a 22-25' used Boston Whaler and know that you are always in your lifeboat! I speak from experience.....enjoy..Ap

Upvote 0

hardrider5

Master
Sep 4, 2003
Huntington Beach
Name
Mike
Boat
Parker 2520
I live near 22nd st landing and am looking to buy a boat its mainly just me and my wife. We like to go twilight fishing and are looking for a boat i took out a 15 westcoaster and a 17 mako before and we almost bought them but a few things worried us so we didnt get them.

So heres where im coming from
We want to buy a small boat maybe aluminium or a mako or whaler but then are worried if we will have enough room? Will we get too wet? we want to fish early morning or twilight local horseshoe maybe once we're seasoned try catalina. Also try hooping.
I like that gas should be cheap because i dont want it to turn into we dont go as much because its costly because as it is i will be paying for dry docking or renting a slip. But im wondering will we regret it when we cant take the kids or more people with a small boat, but then dont want to regret it with a big boat because it guzzles gas.

Pls help, also how much could i expect to spend on gas on a smaller rig also wats the smallest i should go on a cc,whaler,mako etc
Thanks guys

Many of us have been there and done that. I used to go to catalina in a small 16ft Aluminum boat and it was not safe. Going outside the harbor to the areas you mentioned a 20 footer is probably the smallest I would use these days. I have a 20ft Mako CC which is very economical and I can take out a couple adults and a couple kids no problem but you can get wet. Then I have a Parker 2520 which is great but the expense is much higher. We can easily spend 350 to 400 with fuel, bait and Ice fishing the back side of Catalina. The Mako can run all over the horseshoe ect for 30 to 40 dollars in fuel. So there are big differences in costs. Most start out with the smaller boats and then decide if larger makes sense. Good Luck.

Upvote 0

AddyJ

Apr 2, 2016
LBC
Name
Michael johnston
Boat
177 SurfSkiff
IMG_1722.JPG
Checkout Tahiti Offshore! I just took delivery of their SurfSkiff 177. You can cruise over and see it or we can go for a test spin. I have a boat review in the "Check out my boat" forum. It's beautiful.

Upvote 0

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    You will have to list your priorities as a married couple (and family) so that you can purchase the boat that fits the best. I just went through the boat buying process over the last two months and your head can explode going back and forth with the various options out there.

An aluminum boat will be most economical because the price will already be lower, it's lighter to tow, it uses less gas and you don't have to worry about fiberglass maintenance. What you may not like about it is how light it'll be in a wind/current and some people just prefer the "look" of fiberglass.

If space is a concern, regardless of hull material, you probably want to stay away from center consoles and stick to side or dual consoles. Does your wife need a porta-potty? If the answer is yes, that will narrow your boat choices REAL quickly.

You WILL get wet in a Mako or Whaler, especially if it's 21 feet or smaller. Traditionally, those boats have less freeboard and you'll be sitting closer to the water.

If you can gain access or boat rides with some local people, that should help you with your decision. I found myself drooling over the Whaler Montauk pictures in the brochure but discovered it felt a little too small when I saw it in person.

Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
    Mar 9, 2012
    Too far from water
    Name
    Beeulzebob
    Boat
    uh....
    Look at jigstrike's 17' Arima. I have the same boat, and it can do what your looking for. Don't let its small size fool you. They are tough little boats. I've had mine to Catalina, the 43, hidden banks, and everywhere in between. I've hooped lobster, loaded up on tuna, and even hauled it up to the Sierra's. They are light weight so you don't need a big truck. If you have a big truck, it won't even notice it back there.

I may be a little biased, but these boats are highly sought after from central Cal all the way to Alaska for a reason. The price jigstrike is asking is a steal!

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/th...-17-w-2011-90hp-tohatsu-tldi-for-9800.611657/

Reactions: tanner.s
    Upvote 0

Shimano Penn

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Dec 3, 2014
    Chula Vista
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Fond Memory
    Just another opinion... In general I believe that most boat owners are always thinking about a bigger boat, there are exceptions of course. I started with a 16' cc and moved up, if I had it all to do over again I'd skip that step, it's just too limiting. It's rare to get your "investment" back, you lose money when you upgrade. Yesterday I saw a new post for a Wellcraft 248 sportsman pop up, check the for sale forum. At $7500 it's a steal unless the motor is trash and he says it isn't. That is the exact boat I had in the 90's, very comfortable and very stable. I always said I'd buy another but couldn't find one and ended up with a 24 Grady instead, very similar. For all around family fun and serious fishing that 248 would be perfect. Repower down the road with a 4 stroke and you'll enjoy it for many years.

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
    Oct 18, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    Tanner
    Boat
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    I'd look for a 17-19' Invader or a small Arima. The little C-dory's are great too. There are plenty of options when it comes to smaller cc's or cuddy boats that have a decent ride and seaworthiness. I'd say the top of the list would be the little Arimas.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Arima-bob
    Upvote 0

Hooops

Nov 26, 2005
    Huntington Harbour
    Name
    Hoops
    Boat
    17ft Whaler Montauk - "TYFISH"
    Tip #1 - Don't buy a boat
    Tip #2 - Tell a friend to buy a boat
    Your Welcome

If you have no friends - ride sport boats and meet weird people

Upvote 0

Black Cat

Jan 19, 2016
    Temecula
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    Bertram Bahia Mar
    I have a 15 Westcoaster Widebody, for what it is, it's a great sled. If you are looking to fish local and occasionally outside it will work just fine for two. The side console opens a bit of deckspace, gas is stored in the bench seat, and bait tank near the transom.

I spent way to much putting this one into shape. The hull and crappy motor cost me $4,000. I tore everything out, put in new decks, electrical, plumbing, motor ,etc and I'm at least $6,500 into it now.

You will spend a bit of $$ to get something dependable. If you get something simple, you can stay under $6,000. This would be a aluminum or fiberglass hull, with fresh electrical and plumbing, newer 4 stroke, and a solid trailer.

The next jump is to around $15,000 for a solid 18-22 footer with somewhere between 115hp and 150hp. This is what I'm now saving for.

The best boat is a friends boat.

Upvote 0

KID CREOLE

Sep 19, 2003
    San Pedro, Ca.
    www.yayacalls.com
    Name
    Stefan
    Boat
    Grady White 263 Chase
    Rodger,

If you plan on fishing locally most of the time look at a boat 21ft and smaller, possibly consider a boat that can be fitted with a bow troll motor for fishing the harbor, break walls and coast up toward Rocky Pt.

When you start creeping up toward 22ft and larger your next consideration will need to be your tow vehicle if you don't have one.

I own a older 22ft Mako, it has a Yamaha Saltwater Series two stoke. Mileage is fair but is incredible dependable. in 14 years I have spent $200 in parts but I also run only Yamalube two stroke oil and have it tuned up yearly by West Coast Marine yearly

Fishing localy on the Shoe, Flats or up to Rocky I will use 20 gallons on average, if I fish the front side of Catalina, 20 to 30 gallons, if I run around the entire island, 40 to 60 gallons on average.

My boat runs great, if you want to go on a cruise just let me know

MakoApr2016.jpg

Upvote 0